Configuring dx6i for macgyver mod..

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
bigfella
Ready for take off
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bigfella » 02 May 2012, 05:55

Hi I recently sold my macgyver mod to buy one that works with my Spektrum DX6i. I was wondering if any on has this setup.
;
I am having difficulties programming the radio. I have it working but I can understand the downward facing camera config.
On my previous version it had a channel assign to turn this on and off. But going by the instruction the spectrum mod is programmed So the gear channel does the downward camera and the take of and landing..

Also there was a Channel for aggressive mode and normal. But it doesn't look like the Spektrum one has that either. I guess I was hopping someone else was running this mod as well and give me some pointers.

Thanks
Matt

bigfella
Ready for take off

Post by bigfella » 04 May 2012, 07:43

No one is using this mod. Really?

kobo
Newcomer

Re: Configuring dx6i for macgyver mod..

Post by kobo » 04 May 2012, 16:11

post deleted
Last edited by kobo on 05 May 2012, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

tonyh0905
Chased the cat

Post by tonyh0905 » 04 May 2012, 21:54

bigfella wrote:Hi I recently sold my macgyver mod to buy one that works with my Spektrum DX6i. I was wondering if any on has this setup.
;
I am having difficulties programming the radio. I have it working but I can understand the downward facing camera config.
On my previous version it had a channel assign to turn this on and off. But going by the instruction the spectrum mod is programmed So the gear channel does the downward camera and the take of and landing..

Also there was a Channel for aggressive mode and normal. But it doesn't look like the Spektrum one has that either. I guess I was hopping someone else was running this mod as well and give me some pointers.

Thanks
Matt

I've also been using the MacGyver mod with a Dx6i for a couple of months now, and find it works great.

As the previous post said, set up your radio EXACTLY as the instructions say, including the binding process.

When I bought my mod it came configured so that the 'gear' switch was for take off/landing and the 'flap' switch was for switching between FM1 and FM2. For ages I could not get the FM1/FM2 switch to work, until I realised the in the travel adjust screen that the 'flap' settings for position 0 and 1 were both set a 0 instead of -100 and +100. I adjusted that and it now flip's between modes without having to land in between.

To switch to 'wild ' mode you have to move the throttle all the way down, move the right stick all the way to the left and hold it there, and then move the throttle all the way up. The motor led's should flash, unless you are already in that mode. To go back to normal mode on my Dx6i I have to do throttle down - right stick down and hold - throttle up....this is opposite to what it says in the instructions but works.

With practice and trial and error I have found a nice setup using dual rates for calming the flight characteristics in flight, but still having full control if needed. This config is discussed here:

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 392#p20392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

kobo
Newcomer

Post by kobo » 05 May 2012, 00:23

Looking at the last post it looks like my mod has been greatly updated. Sorry if it caused any confusion. I will delete it so as not to confuse others.

tonyh0905
Chased the cat

Post by tonyh0905 » 05 May 2012, 00:32

kobo wrote:Looking at the last post it looks like my mod has been greatly updated. Sorry if it caused any confusion. I will delete it so as not to confuse others.
Kobo

From what I remember, the info you gave in your post was good, and it seemed valid to me.
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

kobo
Newcomer

Post by kobo » 05 May 2012, 00:43

Thanks, but I got my mod back in Dec /2011 and there have obviously been some major changes. Better to be safe.

bigfella
Ready for take off

Post by bigfella » 05 May 2012, 03:21

Thanks guys. But this is where I am getting confused you mention the flap switch controls the camera but in the manual it says the flap switch is for aux 1

Manual below

Setup for the Spektrum DX6i
Preset the Spektrum DX6i transmitter for the binding procedure
Follow the manual of your DX6i transmitter and make the following settings: Travel adjust throttle: -125% (minimum), Sub trim throttle: -100% (minimum) Check on “MONITOR” that throttle is completely to the left with throttle stick down! Keep your throttle stick completely down during the “Binding Procedure”
Finish the “Binding Procedure” for the next steps
Set the Spektrum DX6i transmitter for flight conditions
- Reset Travel adjust throttle: +/-100%, Sub trim throttle: 0% Check TRAVEL ADJUST:
THRO: +/-100%, AILE: +/-100%,
ELEV: +/-100%, RUDD: +/-100%
AUX1: +/-100%
GEAR: 0% - 100% (arrow up) for FM1
GEAR: 100% - 0% (arrow down) for FM2
FM1 (flight mode 1) uses the down facing camera for stabilization
FM2 (flight mode 2) disables the down facing camera
The flap switch is set to control AUX1, I do not recommend running a servo with this channel with this kit, but the remote LED switch I sell works great.
Set and check REVERSE:
THRO-N AILE-R ELEV-R RUDD-R GEAR-N FLAP-N
These are the only settings that need to be changed on the DX6i, this is after you select a new model and reset all the settings. Please refer to the radios manual on how to find and adjust these settings.

bigfella
Ready for take off

Post by bigfella » 05 May 2012, 06:23

I have it all working nice But I can't use the flaps to turn the camera on and off

tonyh0905
Chased the cat

Post by tonyh0905 » 05 May 2012, 11:41

bigfella wrote:I have it all working nice But I can't use the flaps to turn the camera on and off
bigfella

Go into the monitor screen no the Dx6i, and check that when you flip the 'flap' switch, the pointer on the AUX channel jumps from far left (off) to far right (on). The default setting on my radio was that the pointer just stayed in the middle no matter what position the switch was in.

If your pointer does not move, got to the 'flap' adjust screen and set the AUX channel to +100 for norm or 'off' and -100 for land or 'on'.

EDIT>>>

Having read the instructions you posted more carefully I can see why Kobo removed his first post. The setup has changed since I got my mod too.

It now looks as though Mac has sacrificed the ability to switch between flight modes in flight to free up the 'flap' AUX channel for a remote light switch. It looks to me as if you now choose what flight mode you want with the travel adjust settings on the gear channel before flight. The only other explaination is that Mac thinks the Dx6i has a 3 position gear switch!

In my setup 'gear' controls 'take off/land' and 'flap' controls 'FM1/FM2'...the ironic thing is I have connected an led lighting mod to the AUX channel on my mod, and it switches between flight modes AND switches on/off my light mod.

I may be reading the instructions wrong, so I would drop Mac an email to confirm
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

bigfella
Ready for take off

Post by bigfella » 06 May 2012, 03:50

Thanks. yeah I kinda got the same by reading the instructions and wanted to confirm I was doing it right. I dropped a email to Mike and he gave a very brief response that just referred back to the instructions. I wanted him to confirm that it couldn't be assigned to another channel. But he didn't answer.

Anyway I think you guys have more or less cleared it up for me. thanks