Mod for AR DRONE safe WATER LANDING lol

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
MojoTojo
Just flips over

Mod for AR DRONE safe WATER LANDING lol

Post by MojoTojo » 29 Mar 2012, 04:15

Hi guys

i'm thinkin of modding my drone.. i've always dreamed of flying it over pools and bodies of water.. but im so afraid of losing control and getting that baby wet haha

so i was thinking of a mod for this, just by extending its legs, probably w/ BB-Q Stick or somethign light...and putting square styrofoams at the tip to keep it afloat.. ofcourse this will cause drag, but ill make this thing removable, and only put em on the drone when i plan to do water flybys..

then for landing even though the feet has touched the ground, ofcourse the motors wont turn off coz the sensors will keep thinking that the darn thing is still in the air but it's ok i can do an emergency cut off when its on the ground already..

does this sound like a good plan? any ideas?

TJ

drew80
Made it over nextdoor

Re: Mod for AR DRONE safe WATER LANDING lol

Post by drew80 » 29 Mar 2012, 14:49

don't worry what we think. it's your drone. if you want to mod it that way then give it a try and let us know about the results and how it flys and everything. good luck.

MojoTojo
Just flips over

Post by MojoTojo » 29 Mar 2012, 15:14

haha but i was hoping ya'l can give a bit of idea and best way to do it and stuf.. but yeh it's a pretty straightforward design i guess..

knoxploration
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by knoxploration » 29 Mar 2012, 15:58

This is almost certain to end badly. The Drone 1.0 and water don't mix.

drew80
Made it over nextdoor

Post by drew80 » 29 Mar 2012, 19:13

i'm not brave enough to fly my almost 400 dollar flyer over water. face it water and any kind of electrical part don't mix well. i have seen alot of flyers fly and hover over water tho. with your mod it's either gonna work out 1 of 2 ways. your mod will work and land on water and you will end up with a cool mod or your gonna land on water. get a motor or 4 wet and have to start replacing parts. lets put it this way. your not gonna know if it's gonna work unless you try it. if i were you i would get your mod all set up on your drone first and see how it will float say in your bath tub befor you try to land it in a pool or stream or something like that. just make sure you take into consideration how much spray from the water there will be once your trying to take off while floating on top of the water. i have a feeling you mite want to have some spare parts on hand befor you do try this mod though. like i said befor good luck and let us know how the outcome is for you.

MojoTojo
Just flips over

Post by MojoTojo » 30 Mar 2012, 01:54

thanks for the feedback guys.....

to clarify i really didnt intend to take off and land on water haha.. it's just an "in the horrific case" thing, where the drone would have trouble over water.......

Paralytic
Ready for take off

Post by Paralytic » 30 Mar 2012, 02:23

Here's one idea that you could expand on:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OsWTXYWF5Q

I saw one on youtube that had some really good looking floats and it took off and landed with no problems, can't find it now though.