Random landing's with MacGyver Mod - The solution

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
spudmonkeybikes
Strange wobble
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Jan 2012, 23:11

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by spudmonkeybikes » 03 Mar 2012, 15:18

Ok, not sure then, I make sure that I have two devices paired with it, that then locks anyone else pairing, I don't use either when flying though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I also check how much of the bandwidth is being used, if its got more than a channel used then I won fly and move somewhere else.

User avatar
kiwi_contractor
Ready for take off
Posts: 19
Joined: 29 Dec 2011, 10:53
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by kiwi_contractor » 04 Mar 2012, 02:03

How strange, i was reading this yesterday and was stumped....still am.
But this exact thing happened to me today,down in a local park, took the drone home fully stripped the electronics,didnt see anything wrong (from my limited circuit understanding) everything looked all connected on board. So i rebuild it, reset the drone and connected to my iphone and it flew fine for about 5 mins, then i swapped out for RC gear and that worked fine aswell???

Interesting point about carbonfibre, alot of us would have the CF baseplate. At the right angle are you saying this could potentially block a signal to the drone??

spudmonkeybikes
Strange wobble
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Jan 2012, 23:11

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by spudmonkeybikes » 04 Mar 2012, 10:29

The drone allows you to connect two devices so I have an iPad and an iPhone paired then nobody else can pair with it.

From what I've read it can be blocked by the battery, the electronics and carbon fibre, I guess the base plate would be the biggest block at the right or should I say wrong angle.

rollus
Up and hovering
Posts: 126
Joined: 09 Dec 2011, 08:00

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by rollus » 04 Mar 2012, 13:13

kiwi_contractor wrote:Interesting point about carbonfibre, alot of us would have the CF baseplate. At the right angle are you saying this could potentially block a signal to the drone??
Yes, carbon fiber is a shield against RF. In any flight position of the drone, it mustn't be carbon betwen RX and TX antenna.

Also, carbon baseplate is the worth thing you can add for drone wifi communication (if you use a device to show videos in example).

User avatar
kiwi_contractor
Ready for take off
Posts: 19
Joined: 29 Dec 2011, 10:53
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by kiwi_contractor » 04 Mar 2012, 13:33

Thanks for the info guys, i have never had any issues with vid being streamed to android tab or iphone and now the drone flying fine with rc, being flying about 40 mins ok now????

Ah the joys of technology :?

rollus
Up and hovering
Posts: 126
Joined: 09 Dec 2011, 08:00

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by rollus » 04 Mar 2012, 13:38

If your base plate is true carbon, you should have range issue, as wifi antenna are near this base plate.

Maybe this famous carbon base plate is just made of true carbon like plastic or glass fiber, so no problems with wifi antenas ;)

AFAIC, I've fixed my 2.4ghz RX antenna at the back of the shell, like the sting of a bee..

lesodell
Chased the cat
Posts: 452
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 21:30
Location: michigan

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by lesodell » 04 Mar 2012, 16:30

i was flying yesterday and my drone started the landing thing , i could tell it was going to land because the green lights would flash before it did . i see that when it would start to land it looked just like when i would turn the auto hold off and on when in flight so i turned the knob that is used on the tx to do this ,down just a little and it didnt land by its self again , i was using a ipad and free flight app at the time to

User avatar
tonyh0905
Chased the cat
Posts: 336
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 11:25
Location: Wales

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by tonyh0905 » 04 Mar 2012, 19:20

Thanks lesodell, you gave me some idea's. I tried tweaking some of the settings on the tx like travel adjust etc. I am not using the standard MacGyver mod with its own tx. I use a Dx6i tx and a modded rx. Is the knob you mentioned the one that switches between "stabilised" and "not stabilised" modes?

If so this function is controlled by the FLAP switch on my tx.....and I must say I can see no difference in flight characteristics no matter which position this switch is in. Are these flight modes different with your tx?

I also noticed that the landing thing happens a LOT if I have a wifi device paired at the same time as the rc mod. I tried connecting an iphone, android phone, and two different laptop's, and the android phone seemed to cause the fault most of the time.

With that said the times when I have been flying outside, no othe devices were connected :evil:
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

spudmonkeybikes
Strange wobble
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Jan 2012, 23:11

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by spudmonkeybikes » 04 Mar 2012, 20:51

I think he is talking about the stabilised or not, there should be a difference and when changed in flight it lands and takes off again as it switches modes. I had lots of trouble with the stabilised outside wi the drone flipping when trying to hold position so it's stays off all the time now, much more fun without it.

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings
Posts: 158
Joined: 12 Oct 2010, 04:43
Location: kansas city missouri

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by yellowboy63 » 04 Mar 2012, 21:21

There's a lot of info on this mod here, helped me a lot. http://mirumod.hopto.org/

lesodell
Chased the cat
Posts: 452
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 21:30
Location: michigan

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by lesodell » 05 Mar 2012, 01:42

i am running the tx that comes with the mod. if you dont see any differences when you turn it on i think your travel adj isnt right or you need to rev something .because with pos hold on,the drone will stay in one spot but without it, it will blow away

User avatar
tonyh0905
Chased the cat
Posts: 336
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 11:25
Location: Wales

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by tonyh0905 » 12 Mar 2012, 00:47

tonyh0905 wrote:Hi

I was flying the AR Drone yesterday with the MacGyver mod and DX6i tx, when it kept landing for no reason. I thought it might have been going into "fail safe" mode due to a weak signal, but I was no more than 100ft from the drone at the time.

I dropped the "fail safe" idea today when the same thing was happening while flying indoors, around 6ft from drone. It would take off, I could hover for 30-40 seconds and then the motor led's would flash green and the drone would land.

I want to do some high flying video's, but until I can stop this random landing problem I don't trust the drone to come back down without landing on a roof, tree, lamp post, or some other impossible to get to place!

PS Once the land sequence has started is there a way to abort it?

Cheers

Tony
Ignoring my own warnings I decided to try some high flights anyway!

http://youtu.be/zYWU5nmrQ1Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was a couple of hundred feet up, when the drone stopped responding, and started slowly descending (7sec in to the video).
I thought it was doing it's unrequested landing thing, but after another 30sec I could see it was coming down too slowly (and heading for a locked cemetery!) so I hit the land switch. It really came down quick then, and hit a tree at the edge of the park.

Between 7sec and 37sec when I hit "LAND", while the drone was out of control you can hear the motor sound raising and falling. I have heard this before when I have lost control of the done.

http://youtu.be/834kzvJQs00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone tell me if this seems like a fault with the drone, or the RC mod?
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

User avatar
DarkStar
Ready for take off
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Jun 2011, 23:09
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by DarkStar » 12 Mar 2012, 19:54

tonyh0905 wrote:Can anyone tell me if this seems like a fault with the drone, or the RC mod?
If it responded to the "land" switch, it's probably a problem with the sticks on your transmitter.

Which TX are you using?

User avatar
tonyh0905
Chased the cat
Posts: 336
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 11:25
Location: Wales

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by tonyh0905 » 12 Mar 2012, 20:55

DarkStar wrote:
tonyh0905 wrote:Can anyone tell me if this seems like a fault with the drone, or the RC mod?
If it responded to the "land" switch, it's probably a problem with the sticks on your transmitter.

Which TX are you using?
It's a new Spektrum Dx6i. I don't have any other models or RX's to test the sticks, but on a new TX I would expect them to be good. Also there is a monitor function on this TX so if the pots were bad the on screen sliders should be jumping about, but they're rock steady.

The strange thing is, after the crash landing in the tree, I just reset the flat trim, flicked "take off", and it was up and flying as if nothing had happened!
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

spudmonkeybikes
Strange wobble
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Jan 2012, 23:11

Re: Random landing's with MacGyver Mod

Post by spudmonkeybikes » 12 Mar 2012, 21:51

tonyh0905 wrote:
tonyh0905 wrote:Hi

I was flying the AR Drone yesterday with the MacGyver mod and DX6i tx, when it kept landing for no reason. I thought it might have been going into "fail safe" mode due to a weak signal, but I was no more than 100ft from the drone at the time.

I dropped the "fail safe" idea today when the same thing was happening while flying indoors, around 6ft from drone. It would take off, I could hover for 30-40 seconds and then the motor led's would flash green and the drone would land.

I want to do some high flying video's, but until I can stop this random landing problem I don't trust the drone to come back down without landing on a roof, tree, lamp post, or some other impossible to get to place!

PS Once the land sequence has started is there a way to abort it?

Cheers

Tony
Ignoring my own warnings I decided to try some high flights anyway!

http://youtu.be/zYWU5nmrQ1Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was a couple of hundred feet up, when the drone stopped responding, and started slowly descending (7sec in to the video).
I thought it was doing it's unrequested landing thing, but after another 30sec I could see it was coming down too slowly (and heading for a locked cemetery!) so I hit the land switch. It really came down quick then, and hit a tree at the edge of the park.

Between 7sec and 37sec when I hit "LAND", while the drone was out of control you can hear the motor sound raising and falling. I have heard this before when I have lost control of the done.

http://youtu.be/834kzvJQs00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone tell me if this seems like a fault with the drone, or the RC mod?
Do you have the failsafe receiver, only asking as I've had similar incidents but I'm waiting for the failsafe receiver to turn up and then I'm going to do some tests. I think the noise you are hearing is when the drone is just compensating using the gyros for the wind as the noise is linked to it titling backwards and forwards from the video. Not flown for a few weeks as waiting for the rx to land and also my f450.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests