Water Landing Mods?

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
cvwood
Battery Charged

Water Landing Mods?

Post by cvwood » 27 Dec 2011, 16:35

Ok, so I saw the guy in Italy's video and now I want to do it, too!

Any thoughts on how to figure out type and quantity of styrofoam to create pontoons to enable the AR to land effectively on water? I know I could use trial and error.....

droneparts_de
Chased the cat

Water Landing Mods?

Post by droneparts_de » 28 Dec 2011, 01:10

We discussed it several times with various customers. The pontoons are not the problem. But the water, especially if you start, will kill the motors and electronics...
http://www.droneparts.de - Parrot AR.Drone and DJI Phantom partner!
...5% discount for forum members. Please contact info@droneparts.de to receive your voucher code - we ship worldwide!...

jack192
Battery Charged

Re: Water Landing Mods?

Post by jack192 » 29 Dec 2011, 20:51

I've already made some practical "investigations" in the subject. Conclussion: Don't Do it
(well, that "investigation" was the result of a nightly flight + some wind, but that's an another history :P )

now, being more serious, although it should be possible to make an aquatic ardrone, it would require some heavy mods. the first would be water-proofing the mainboard the best way of archive that is to put it in a box, but there is a problem (well, 3 to be more precise) you need to make holes for the camera and the ultrasonic sensors. and if you do that your water proof box is not so water-proof anymore.

The second problem are the motors, and their controllers, which are in a perfect position to receive water splashes, and form my pool experience, that could be fatal (apart from one motor which was underwater and burned, the rest were pretty away from the water, but still one of them died)

So, unless you know what are you doing, i suggest you to keep the drone away from the water.

zhukowski
Ready for take off

Post by zhukowski » 30 Dec 2011, 09:31

Yeah agree not a good idea... With all the added weight of floats and stuff with a bit of cross wind can eat your Batt up in an instant. Plus you need all the extra power to lift out of water too, i can see a low batt alarm coming on straight after a succesful water landing..... In any case id expect my feet getting wet if I did it....

Dougie B
Newcomer

Post by Dougie B » 11 Jan 2012, 05:13

So I'm sort of a first time poster, but I got bored while on break from school and came up with this.. It's a bit crude but I think it looks pretty cool! The best part is that IT WORKS! still a bit scared to fly it over a body of water or take off while in it....I'll need some time to tweak it but feel free to tinker and one up me! I want to see what everyone can do!
-Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OsWTXYW ... e=youtu.be

bluntnose
Up and hovering

Post by bluntnose » 11 Jan 2012, 06:13

Uh . . . I'm . . . actually . .. just . . . . . . speechless. :o

I'm not sure what it looks like, but whatever it is, it's got the mumps.

WiseDuck
Up and hovering

Post by WiseDuck » 11 Jan 2012, 08:31

I've only seen hobby-grade quadcopters land on water with pontoons and waterproof frames. As for the electronics on the Ar.Drone, I wouldn't recommend getting water on the motors and the boards. However, the board around the motor has been coated with something that makes it resistant to water. I used my drone outside near water once and I had droplets all over the board that didn't cause any problems. I just wiped off the board and it still works fine.

Now, like I said, it's not recommended. Water RESISTANT, but probably not waterproof/submersible.

Alx0363
Ready for take off

Post by Alx0363 » 11 Jan 2012, 08:50

Better if U enlarge base for more stability on water and avoid risk to reverse drone during landing.

Alex

knoxploration
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by knoxploration » 12 Jan 2012, 01:00

Yeah, I'd be worried about stability as well, especially if you land on anything that's not as flat as a millpond. Moving the lower set of balls outwards would definitely help some...

Chetcoguy
Battery Charged

Post by Chetcoguy » 30 Mar 2012, 01:17

The problem here is that the floats are directly beneath the propellers. They ruin the stability of the craft since the floats re-direct the airflow. I have tried several different methods of attaching floats and the only ones that work well (however, as mentioned before they eat up the battery), are floats attached outside the propeller area. I am still experimenting and as soon as I have a great working design, I will post pictures.....Meanwhile, here is a short video of one of my experiments using foam balls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQzNDG00 ... ature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knoxploration
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by knoxploration » 30 Mar 2012, 01:30

Chetcoguy wrote:The problem here is that the floats are directly beneath the propellers. They ruin the stability of the craft since the floats re-direct the airflow. I have tried several different methods of attaching floats and the only ones that work well (however, as mentioned before they eat up the battery), are floats attached outside the propeller area. I am still experimenting and as soon as I have a great working design, I will post pictures.....Meanwhile, here is a short video of one of my experiments using foam balls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQzNDG00 ... ature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have thought you'd want the drone quite a lot higher above the water than that. As-is, the chances of water splashing on the motors or the base of the drone body during landing would have to be pretty high, even on a millpond. Landing is going to splash water, hovering over the water or running up the props while sitting on the water is going to splash it, and it looks like you've only got a couple of inches clearance at most, depending on how high the drone rides in the water with your foam balls.