Macgyver RC Mod for the AR Drone

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
Chadfish
Ready for take off

Macgyver RC Mod for the AR Drone

Post by Chadfish » 19 Sep 2011, 05:43

You guys probably know about this already but I just made a little demo about a cool RC mod for the drone I have named the "Macgyver RC Mod". You get them from this guy Mike Morgan on ebay. Link below. Man is it sweet to have total control over your done rather than flopping around with the iPhone/Pad!!

Here's the video:

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/wVNkb4v77A4

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNkb4v77A4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the 2 versions. One for 130.00, and one for 165.00 that adds a switch for LEDs if you have them or plan on getting them. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=AR.D ... pos=&gbr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy! Original music by me!
Last edited by Chadfish on 29 Sep 2011, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.

Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Macgyver RC Mod for the AR Drone

Post by Schlauncha » 19 Sep 2011, 15:26

Using that transmitter and receiver, but mounted in an airplane, I was able to fly more than 1000 feet away according to my GPS on the plane. I have yet to find the range limit. It can be estimated that a Drone would have similar range, since it was the very radio and receiver I got from Mike, that I was using. You might have less range if you only keep the drone low to the ground, at those distances, however. And of course, getting it on the other side of buildings would interfere. But get the drone up a good ways, you should be able to do 1000 feet with it.

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 20 Sep 2011, 02:16

Schlauncha, My Turnigy 9x Tx/Rx system doesn't support fail safe feature. Does that system supports it? (BTW, nice video from your 5.8GHz FPV system).

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 20 Sep 2011, 02:29

Just updated the video to correct some info, and I finally got the video showing in the first post.

Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Schlauncha » 21 Sep 2011, 21:07

Candu, just to note, that video you mention is being recorded directly onto the GoPro, then *downstream* from there it gets the on-screen navdata, then gets transmitted, then I see it and fly using it. So of course, the video quality shown is much better than the standard def I look at during FPV. Just to clarify that the video quality you saw there wasn't going through the 5.8ghz transmitter system, but rather, being recorded "at the source" on the GoPro.

poppo
Ready for take off

Post by poppo » 21 Sep 2011, 22:12

For anyone using this RC mod, is anyone using rechargable batteries in the transmitter? And if so, are you getting a yellow LED on the transmitter fairly quickly? I assume this is normal as NiMH batteries are only about 1.2V for a total of about 9.6V

2mat
Just flips over

Post by 2mat » 21 Sep 2011, 22:32

poppo wrote:For anyone using this RC mod, is anyone using rechargable batteries in the transmitter? And if so, are you getting a yellow LED on the transmitter fairly quickly? I assume this is normal as NiMH batteries are only about 1.2V for a total of about 9.6V
Hi, yes i have been testing with several types of rechargable batteries of different sizes. I get the green light for maby 30 seconds with a set of freshly charged batteries, and then it goes to yellow.
I get maby 2 or 3 flights done and then the RC kit will not go into "disco mode" because the charge on the transmitter is to low to give a constant good signal, i like this safety feature. But be sure to bring spare batteries for your RC transmitter as well.

To anyone using the RC kit i would advise against using rechargable batteries. Use normal disposable ones like duracel istead, they will last alot longer.
And also do remember that even if you are not using the transmitter it will still consume alot of power when it is switched on.

poppo
Ready for take off

Post by poppo » 21 Sep 2011, 23:21

2mat wrote:To anyone using the RC kit i would advise against using rechargable batteries. Use normal disposable ones like duracel istead, they will last alot longer.
Thanks for confirming.

The only problem is I was going though a set of regular (good brand) batteries about every 2 days. It was starting to get expensive.

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 22 Sep 2011, 02:51

I go to Costco and get a 40 pack for 12-13 bucks. It's the best deal I know.

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 22 Sep 2011, 03:31

Daniel, maybe you are using weaker rechargeable batteries? You you have the highest output rechargeable AA batteries you can get?

poppo
Ready for take off

Post by poppo » 22 Sep 2011, 21:38

FWIW, I just made this mod (actually 2 mods). The first, is adding a battery holder for a 9th rechargable battery. This gives a 'nominal' 10.8V. I am using 2300mah batteries. I have left the trasmitter on for an hour and it's still green. I did not use a dual battery holder because a fully charged battery will be about 1.36V for a while. That would make it 13.6V for a while, and it might be a bit too high for the transmitter.

The second mod was sticking a small kitchen timer to the front. I can quickly set it for whatever run time I want so I know when it's time to start bringing the drone home. This one will start beeping slowly when the time is up, and then start to speed up the longer you get past zero time left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 22 Sep 2011, 22:23

Cool!

Here's some info on the transmitter itself - unrelated to the drone mof, but still interesting:

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/BbjfC2ecWt8

Broke it
Battery Charged

Post by Broke it » 29 Sep 2011, 00:49

Yes, the best money spent in the R/C hobby this year. I wonder how to upgrade this with the new S/W that has been released?

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 29 Sep 2011, 01:18

I don't know what you mean by s/w... What is that?

Chadfish
Ready for take off

Post by Chadfish » 29 Sep 2011, 01:19

I've just posted another video showing how the drone flys with the RC mod. No instructional stuff - just pure flying, and a little crashing at the end...

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/ybNoz7xuoRY