AR.Drone 1.0 + iP4 + PowerAP N Ultra Long Range - 500m+ (TES

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
borgqueenx
Thinking of bearings

Re: AR.Drone + iP4 + PowerAP N Ultra Long Range - 500m+ (TES

Post by borgqueenx » 09 Apr 2011, 09:08

Candu wrote:
A copy of my post from another tread :
Link is missing. Can you re-post, please?

You probably mentioned in your other post already but which USB port did you use? on a PC running a software AP ?
yes. i also came across this Ap on ebay, and is cheap. but i dont want to bring a notebook, and the wifi router, and the iphone or ipad and the drone.

3 devices is more then enough, so IMO i dont want that router. it needs software to become a AP.
plus like i said in his other post: his 1000m is in theory only, i think he will get 200m or so.

madghost
Ready for take off

Post by madghost » 09 Apr 2011, 12:07

Dyou know what is a awus036h adapter ? Have u ever tryed one ? ...with this i can connect to wifi 500m away. The drone wifi is 50 mW. Normal wifi are 100-250 mW and can do 300-500 m stable at 500 KB/s using this. It dont need any software to be used under linux. And the only software you need on windows is the DRIVER.. Two awus036h connected together can reach distances greater then 1000m garanteed...Right now im connected to a router 4 houses away and each one is 100-150m apart and its not a high power router like powerap...Peoples have made many review of getting over 2 miles wifi connection using diectional antennas and awus036h...So if i do over 400m using normal hardware router and a awus036h and i do about 150-200m using awus036h as AP between normal wifi of the drone its obvious with 1 Watt on the drone ill have a HUGE increase in range...this mod is the Longest range mode u can do for sure !

borgqueenx
Thinking of bearings

Post by borgqueenx » 09 Apr 2011, 14:02

madghost wrote:Dyou know what is a awus036h adapter ? Have u ever tryed one ? ...with this i can connect to wifi 500m away. The drone wifi is 50 mW. Normal wifi are 100-250 mW and can do 300-500 m stable at 500 KB/s using this. It dont need any software to be used under linux. And the only software you need on windows is the DRIVER.. Two awus036h connected together can reach distances greater then 1000m garanteed...Right now im connected to a router 4 houses away and each one is 100-150m apart and its not a high power router like powerap...Peoples have made many review of getting over 2 miles wifi connection using diectional antennas and awus036h...So if i do over 400m using normal hardware router and a awus036h and i do about 150-200m using awus036h as AP between normal wifi of the drone its obvious with 1 Watt on the drone ill have a HUGE increase in range...this mod is the Longest range mode u can do for sure !
2 miles? meh i dont believe that so quickly....where are the links?
but still, its nothing for me, because i dont want to take my large notebook with me.

i need a router thats does not require a PC with software. i want it to be connect to power and create a access point.
is that awus thing also in a router version? with build-in AP?

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 10 Apr 2011, 03:51

i need a router thats does not require a PC with software. i want it to be connect to power and create a access point.
See how I use my AP.
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 9688#p9688

Have not had a chance to do a real range test yet with this configuration. Since everything is self contained, chances of leaving things behind is lower...

Also, need to test the AP operating time using the lipo battery. I don't expect any issues since the AP is drawing much less current than the ardrone.

borgqueenx
Thinking of bearings

Post by borgqueenx » 10 Apr 2011, 08:12

Candu wrote:
See how I use my AP.
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 9688#p9688

Have not had a chance to do a real range test yet with this configuration. Since everything is self contained, chances of leaving things behind is lower...

Also, need to test the AP operating time using the lipo battery. I don't expect any issues since the AP is drawing much less current than the ardrone.
Well dont forget to tell us how you connected it since i dont think its standard to connect a battery to it^^

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 10 Apr 2011, 16:17

Well dont forget to tell us how you connected it since i dont think its standard to connect a battery to it^^
I simply custom make a short battery connector adopter that connects the standard ardone battery to a DC connector that fits the AP. See picture.
P4100515.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

borgqueenx
Thinking of bearings

Post by borgqueenx » 10 Apr 2011, 16:49

Hmmm good idea. Il also try this:)

There are 2w and 1w boosters(see ebay).
Do they suck up alot of power? Or will they also last more then an hour on a 1000mah lipo?
I want the battery to split into 2connectors so it powers the wifi router and the booster, thats my idea.

ARMcpu
Battery Charged

Post by ARMcpu » 07 May 2011, 16:29

Candu wrote:
I simply custom make a short battery connector adopter that connects the standard ardone battery to a DC connector that fits the AP. See picture.
P4100515.JPG
Hi

sorry Im new, I want to use same solution with voltage metter, how you know that battery with router is almost depleted? what voltage? is better use this display voltmeter or the one what have a buzzer?

btw is someone using the buzzer voltmeter on Drone? It is useful?

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 07 May 2011, 21:06

I use a 2300mAh high capacity battery to power my AP. See:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 589#p10589
Have been using this for most of my outdoor flights now and I connected the battery meter only a few time until I realize that this battery will last for quite a while.

I didn't do any measurements but looking at the brightness of my battery meter LED display, it may draw as much power as the AP itself if the meter is left connected all the time (Just kidding but may not be that far off). I usually measure the battery voltage before every flying session just to be safe. As long the voltage is over 11 volts, it should be ok. I'm sure there are alarm circuits out there you can rig up easily for your AP supply since weight is not that critical.

With that said, I must stress that I am using a regular consumer run of the mill AP which draws a lot less power than a high powered 1000mW or more AP. Since I mount my iTouch on top of the AP and use it as one unit, I want to have a small battery pack. But if your AP is at a fixed location, there are lot of battery options you can consider.

ARMcpu
Battery Charged

Post by ARMcpu » 10 May 2011, 14:15

Btw what antenna output power you using regulary on your router? The maximum or for the 200-300 meter range is enough keep power down a little? Does output antenna power setting affect mainly power consumption of the router?

I want to use the original 1000 mAh battery for router, coz I have 4 other batteries with higher capacity, so because I have around 1 hour of flight time, I need from the 1000 mAh battery to supply the router for that time.. (and then of course 8 hours of charging all the batteries :) ).

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 10 May 2011, 22:38

Btw what antenna output power you using regulary on your router?
On the AP that I use most of the time has power settings in percentage of full power instead of mw. I normally leave it set to 100% for out door flying. My conservative field test so far showed a practical flying range of under 100m with my router (AP) and about 1/2 of that distance without the AP - see my other post on this form for the range test.

One charge on my 2300mAh (actually 2250) is more than enough for my weekend's flights - ie, two days sessions each with 3 fully charged flying batteries (1000,1250, and 1500mAh). When I recharge it after the weekend, it will quite charging after less that 400mAh. I was actually using the 1000mAh battery for the AP at one time before I received the 2300mAh battery. If your router or AP is one of the 1000mW or higher power unit, then your power consumption would be higher. I would suggest keeping the voltage indicated on the battery for the first couple of flying sessions just to get a feel how long the battery would last on your high power AP.

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 11 May 2011, 01:04

opie wrote:Got my Power APN yesterday and am very pleased with its performance. The AirView spectrum analysis, antenna alignment, site survey, and other tools that are built into it are almost an embarassment of riches. The company, Ubiquity, has a wealth of information on its site for setting up WiFi communication. I'm getting a much stronger signal and much faster transmission rates indoors than I got with my Cisco-Linksys router. Hope to test it outside for distance with the drone soon just to compare results.

Thanks again GeorgGGG!
Did you have a chance do any range test yet with your power apn? Notice any command delays when flying close to the range limit? Very much interested to hear from others who are using an AP.

ARMcpu
Battery Charged

Post by ARMcpu » 11 May 2011, 11:09

I got my Ubiquity PowerAPN just now, and I'm still waiting for tamiya connector from ebay. I already bought on ebay lipo voltage sound alarm for 2,- EUR so it will be sticked permanently to this AP.

One more thing, you just wrote with full power you have range 100 meters? On your other post you showed map with range 310 meters, so which one is the real number?

thx

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 11 May 2011, 21:21

One more thing, you just wrote with full power you have range 100 meters? On your other post you showed map with range 310 meters, so which one is the real number?
Hi ARMcpu, I am afraid you have given credit to the wrong ardrone flyer. My previous post was this one:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 176#p10176

Like I said, it was a practical range test where I didn't push it until I lost control totally. But even then, I don't think my set up will get anywhere near 300meters. You should note that I am using a regular AP not the 1000mW Power APN that other poster was using. I am very much interested in how you make out with your new Power APN.

ARMcpu
Battery Charged

Post by ARMcpu » 12 May 2011, 14:11

Ah yes, sorry, it was GeorgGGG.

Ok I will test it soon, Im still wondering how it can work if AP has 1W power but on drone is no antenna booster, I will see :)