AR.Drone 1.0 + iP4 + PowerAP N Ultra Long Range - 500m+ (TES

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Re: AR.Drone + iP4 + PowerAP N Ultra Long Range - 500m+ (TES

Post by Candu » 12 May 2011, 21:29

Im still wondering how it can work if AP has 1W power but on drone is no antenna booster, I will see
Others may disagree but what's important to me is the ability to get a "please come back to me now" command to the ardrone before getting out of range!! Hopefully, higher power at the AP end would help in doing that. Information returning from ardrone (video/speed/altitude/etc) is good to have but not critical.

opie
Up and hovering

Post by opie » 13 May 2011, 06:48

Did you have a chance do any range test yet with your power apn? Notice any command delays when flying close to the range limit?
Finally got my Power APN out for an initial test. Got six times the distance I was getting with just an adhoc connection directly to the drone. Was still receiving the drone's video feed at 303 meters from the APN, compared to only 85 meters with a direct connection to the drone under the same conditions.

The test conditions were the APN sitting on a foot stool in my front yard while I walked down the street carrying the drone and my ipad. The drone and ipad were connected through the APN with the drone in managed mode. I tried to keep as few trees as possible between me and the APN, but the streets are lined with trees and I wasn't about to put the APN in the middle of the street for an unobstructed view.

Hope to get to a large field outside of town where I can do an unobstructed test, but I think GeorgGGG has already done the definitive flight test. I'm certainly happy with the APN's performance on my walk. The APN's range is greater than any of the nearby fields or parks I use.

p.s.

Didn't test command delays like switching the camera view as I had my hands full. I think the delays are to be expected as the signal weakens and packets get dropped. It's noticeable with an adhoc connection as you start getting too far from the drone.

borgqueenx
Thinking of bearings

Post by borgqueenx » 13 May 2011, 08:52

Strange how you guys got it to work while my ipad and iphone say "control link not available" once connected.

GeorgGGG
Ready for take off

Recommendations flying - large distance with Power APN

Post by GeorgGGG » 13 May 2011, 11:24

Recommendations flying - large distance with Power APN:

1) At least every 100 meters to add height to 10 meters (300 m - 30 m h) (for DRONE)
2) With the iPhone to move away from the Power APN at least 10 m
3) The DRONE and Power APN may never be no obstacle.

For those who know what telnet:
telnet 192.168.1.1 (drone)
cd \ bin
vi wifi_setup.sh
Change the line
# Limiting available rates to 11, 24 or 54 Mb/s
wmiconfig -i ath0 --setfixrates 3 8 11
to
# Limiting available rates to 5,..,..,..,54 Mb/s
wmiconfig -i ath0 --setfixrates 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
REM Extend the reach of the other 50-150 m
and
sync REM (save for next boot)

Tested with iPhone 4 and iPad 2
Drone: Firmware 1.5.1
Power APN: Firmware: XM.v5.3
iPhone 4: iOS 4.3.2
iPad 2: iOS 4.3.2
AR.FreeFlight: v1.7.1

Google translator

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 14 May 2011, 00:19

Finally got my Power APN out for an initial test. Got six times the distance I was getting with just an adhoc connection directly to the drone. Was still receiving the drone's video feed at 303 meters from the APN, compared to only 85 meters with a direct connection to the drone under the same conditions.
Great! Thanks for the confirmation. Now I can put my "ordinary" AP back in my junk box and start to look for a picostation: http://www.ubnt.com/picostation, also by Ubiquiti, same 1000mW but much smaller.

Candu
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Candu » 14 May 2011, 00:48

2) With the iPhone to move away from the Power APN at least 10 m
I normally hang the AP around my neck, with the iTouch attached on top of the AP and holding it as a regular RC transmitter. http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... 9689#p9689 This means that my iTouch is much too close to the AP.

I'm not up-to-date on the wireless AP technology but I always thought that the close distance between wifi devices is not critical since my understanding (but I could be completely wrong on this) is that the AP and other wifi devices are not transmitting and receiving at the same time. Each device will first listen and only transmit when the channel is clear.
# Limiting available rates to 5,..,..,..,54 Mb/s
wmiconfig -i ath0 --setfixrates 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
REM Extend the reach of the other 50-150 m
What is the reason for setting the ardrone to support a lower data bit rate ? Is it because the net data bid rate at a distance is lower?

I still have a lot to learn on wireless tecnology.

GeorgGGG
Ready for take off

Post by GeorgGGG » 14 May 2011, 15:46

Candu wrote: What is the reason for setting the ardrone to support a lower data bit rate ? Is it because the net data bid rate at a distance is lower?
Distance of sustainable link 5Mb/s is better than 11Mb/s.
If the video will impair the quality you can get back DRONE.

setfixrates 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 - believing PowerAPN delicious tuned auto-switching speed.

G.T.

Gdub73
Ready for take off

Post by Gdub73 » 17 May 2011, 04:08

hi, whats up with not being to be able to watch utube vid, keeps asking for password for account holder?

Marcux
Just flips over

Post by Marcux » 16 Apr 2012, 17:50

Can somone with a powerAP n please let me know if the power supply on it, is the center pin is positive or negative? I'd like to hook this up to one of my 12v batterys, but I have lost the power supply to it.

Turanligil
Ready for take off

Post by Turanligil » 17 Jul 2012, 07:29

is it right, that the settings for the drone (via telnet) i made to connect to the router is deleted after a reset (or removing the battery for let us say 1 hour) ?
i asked because, when i set up the drone... and go out (example with my car) to the field i want to test it, isnt the drone resetted again? and how can i connect to the router again (without pc and without telnet) ?