Extending the size of the Cross

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
armtek
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Extending the size of the Cross

Post by armtek » 09 Apr 2014, 00:47

I have a project that requires me to extend the length of each of the 'D'-shaped carbon struts about 12.5 cm on my 2.0 to make more room between the props. I'm having trouble finding the 6mm x 6mm material online. Anyone know where I can get a reasonable quantity? I'd prefer to keep the shape the same so I can continue to use the rest of the components as is. Dunno if the i-drone folks want to weigh in on this one.
Thoughts?

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Re: Extending the size of the Cross

Post by DBS » 09 Apr 2014, 02:16

Buy the aluminum sport cross... then you can switch to square box tubing for the arms... and there are many options in aluminum, brass, carbon and composite that are available on eBay
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

MontanaMac
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Extending the size of the Cross

Post by MontanaMac » 14 Apr 2014, 21:54

You can find 6mm OD carbon fiber tube in small quantities from several sellers on eBay. Also, I have found that 1/4" aluminum tube works great. The 'D' shape of the original arms is really not important--I think Parrot did that just to make assembly quick and easy so time wouldn't have to be spent aligning the props to be true to the body.

If you are planning to lengthen the arms much more than stock, then aluminum is probably not stable enough. The best advantage of aluminum is that it will bend or break before the plastic central cross in a crash. It is also cheap and readily available. Either way though, it's really not too hard to replace the stock arms. Here's a photo of mine with aluminum arms of original length: