AR Drone Ultraflight High Performance Propellers review vid

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
airhead
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AR Drone Ultraflight High Performance Propellers review

Post by airhead » 08 Jan 2014, 20:20

Carl190_1 wrote:Received my UltraFlight Propellers Dec. 24, bought from Drone-Mods.

Second flight drone hit small tree branch; snapped prop right in half.

My stock props have survived much much more than this many many times.

My experience is these propellers are a piece of crap!

Edit: One propeller was very hard to install some manufacturing defect.
Weight: stock; 3.4g vs these 4.5g
Good go Kyle wish I had seen your video first.

Attached photo.
Boy I am going to get crap from this I can just see it, lol. I learned from being an artist about constructive criticism and having an open mind to improve myself. As Carl and I mentioned about the problems with the props that some do not agree on, so I decided to show some picts of the problem with these props that I encountered. The one picture with the red arrows pointing on the outside post or what ever you call it were too long and needed cut down to the size of the original props from Parrot I measured with my caliper that I have and this is why Carl and I had a hard time installing them and placing the clip on them. When forcing them on it was putting the motor in a bind and that's how I knew there was an issue here. Now maybe we just got a bad bunch and all the rest out there are great. I want to show where also my prop broke off the same as Carl. I don't like to cause problems but I call it as I see it or use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BoggsD
Up and hovering

Post by BoggsD » 09 Jan 2014, 00:53

I thank you for sharing your concerns and your constructive criticism. After reviewing the issues you raised, I came to realize that you are right about the slight gap in the center post. I compared the new props with the stock gears and then with my UltraFlight gears and realized that my designer (an aeronautical engineer) made them to fit with my UF gears, which differ slightly with the stock on the length of the outside posts. However, when mated with UF gears, the fit is perfect and the props spin smoothly. It was my fault not testing them with stock gears, I just thought mine were the same dimensions as stock, my bad. However, I ran my new Power Edition drone today for an hour with stock gears and my blue props and there was no binding or tightness problems at all, so maybe you got a bad set.

Please PM me and I will send you some replacements.

As for the breakage issues, these props are made from the exact same grade of nylon as my gears, which everyone knows are strong and reliable. I think garrock is right, these probably aren't the best props for newbies who fly into stuff and break them. They were designed for added control and longer down-range flights and that's what I've been testing them and refining them for. A lot of us who have been flying for at least a few years now don't crash much and really just try to see how far and high we can go and want to make good videos, and that's where control is the most important thing.

I will add a disclaimer to my listings.

I appreciate all of your constructive input, it guides me in the right direction to make better products for all of us.

Thanks,

Boggs

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 09 Jan 2014, 01:08

BoggsD wrote:As for the breakage issues, these props are made from the exact same grade of nylon as my gears, which everyone knows are strong and reliable. I think garrock is right, these probably aren't the best props for newbies who fly into stuff and break them. They were designed for added control and longer down-range flights and that's what I've been testing them and refining them for.
I guess you may want to edit the description in the online store where it says: "They were designed to resist bending and breakage in the event of a crash" which may be misleading. Or add a warning for newbies, that these are probably not for them.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 09 Jan 2014, 02:45

My UF propellers (the broken blue one in above post) from Drone-Mods were fitted to UF gears also bought from Drone-Mods!
The UF posts were exactly where I had trouble fitting the UF props.

dragonash
Chased the cat

Post by dragonash » 09 Jan 2014, 17:24

pawelsky wrote:
BoggsD wrote:As for the breakage issues, these props are made from the exact same grade of nylon as my gears, which everyone knows are strong and reliable. I think garrock is right, these probably aren't the best props for newbies who fly into stuff and break them. They were designed for added control and longer down-range flights and that's what I've been testing them and refining them for.
I guess you may want to edit the description in the online store where it says: "They were designed to resist bending and breakage in the event of a crash" which may be misleading. Or add a warning for newbies, that these are probably not for them.

True.
You should also either mark them as V1 (version 1) or as prototype like you commented on earlier. Make sure everyone is on the same page when purchased.

edit:
oh, looks like "breakage" was already taken out

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 09 Jan 2014, 19:10

dragonash wrote:oh, looks like "breakage" was already taken out
Not everywhere
http://ultraflight.org/shop/ultraflight ... ange-4-pcs

Unless the orange ones do not break ;)

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 10 Jan 2014, 00:13

Oh they break ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 10 Jan 2014, 00:38

BTW, would be good if other resellers (drone-mods, i-drone, droneparts.de, who else offers them here?) did the same and remove the breakage resistance part from their product descriptions.

i-Drone
Spying is fun

Post by i-Drone » 12 Jan 2014, 02:32

Noted, I'll make an amendment, as requested.

http://www.i-drone.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@i-drone.me
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teedo757
Ready for take off

Post by teedo757 » 13 Jan 2014, 20:45

BoggsD wrote:I thank you for sharing your concerns and your constructive criticism. After reviewing the issues you raised, I came to realize that you are right about the slight gap in the center post. I compared the new props with the stock gears and then with my UltraFlight gears and realized that my designer (an aeronautical engineer) made them to fit with my UF gears, which differ slightly with the stock on the length of the outside posts. However, when mated with UF gears, the fit is perfect and the props spin smoothly. It was my fault not testing them with stock gears

I'm thinking about getting a set of these despite the breaking concern however I have stock gears. What needs to happen to get these to fit?

Thanks

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 13 Jan 2014, 22:53

My problem with the fit of the Ultra Flight Propellers was with the center post and Ultra Flight gears. The center posts didn't match making the insertion of the center pin difficult.

Teedo757 see Airhead posts.

BoggsD
Up and hovering

Post by BoggsD » 15 Jan 2014, 03:07

Thanks Carl,

The fitment issues are well noted and will be addressed. I appreciate the feedback. However, I've been giving this a lot of thought lately with all of the negative postings and I think a lot of people are missing the big picture here. So let's break it down: the propellers are made from the same grade of nylon as the black and orange gears (which I've sold thousands of with great reviews). They are stiffer than stock props and don't bend in the wind like the stock props do, but if they strike a hard object, yeah...they are going to break, just like the parts on real helicopters and drones they were designed for flight performance, not designed to hit something and still fly (though people seem to forget this basic rule when it comes to hobby flying).

Just because Parrot produces these on a mass scale and sells them at Brookstone and Costco, doesn't mean they are a $400+ toy. Anything flying at these heights and distances with this much technology packed into it is not a toy. If you spent $10k on a commercial grade drone and crashed it would you blame the parts that broke? A reasonable person would blame themselves for over correcting, not accommodating for wind, objects, etc.

Sorry for the diatribe, I'll stop now. Not trying to preach, just give a little perspective.

Boggs

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 15 Jan 2014, 11:48

BoggsD wrote:Just because Parrot produces these on a mass scale and sells them at Brookstone and Costco, doesn't mean they are a $400+ toy. Anything flying at these heights and distances with this much technology packed into it is not a toy. If you spent $10k on a commercial grade drone and crashed it would you blame the parts that broke? A reasonable person would blame themselves for over correcting, not accommodating for wind, objects, etc.
I don't think anyone blames your props for causing crashes. What people complain is that they were advertised as breakage resistant, which they are not. You corrected the description on your site, so I think as soon as your re-sellers do the same, nobody will complain.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 15 Jan 2014, 15:44

I had emailed UltraFlight asking if the UltraFlight gears had any embossed marks on them to identify them as originals like the propellers do, maybe these (mine) gears were not authentic.
Maybe this would be a positive manufacturing detail.
I did not receive an reply from UltraFlight.

I've noticed that some sell for twice as much others.

I would like to hear what your aeronautical engineer thinks of this statement: "don't bend in the wind like the stock props do".

I fly my AR Drone in both modes Wi-Fi and RX (MiruMod). I also have a Private Pilots license but obviously this does not directly translate to flying an RC with your thumb on a tablet.

I thought that accidents were just part of the learning process.

Maybe if my propeller had been replaced my the manufacture and my email answered we would have avoided this learning process!

Yesterday I received a replacement propeller from Drone-Mods and it fit much better than my previous ones.

BoggsD
Up and hovering

Post by BoggsD » 19 Feb 2014, 01:33

I just want to give an update on the props:

We tested the initial batch of props that we received and found that they came defective from the factory. Apparently, the factory rushed the delivery and failed to cure the batch properly and the result was the brittle props.

We have now received the corrected inventory and the testing has been very impressive.

If you bought these props from our website ultraflight.org or eBay or Amazon, please PM me with your order number and I will send you a replacement set.

!!!For those of you who have some unbroken props from this lot (purchased last week or before) just put them in boiling water for 3-5 minutes and the molecules will bond. Allow them to air dry and the props will be strong!!!