$1 Parrot Charger Mod

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
pbody2013
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: $1 Parrot Charger Mod

Post by pbody2013 » 11 Jun 2013, 23:05

Thanks Tom and you're more than welcome. Glad it works for you, that's one reason I posted it. I've had so much help here so it's good to return some :D
Yup as you said this thing sucks for one batt let alone two :lol: Yea lets plug in 2 2500mah batts and see what happens, NOT lol. No point splitting an amp with batteries that can handle up to 5C charging( Nano). I expect the power supply to give up at some point in that case, but since I don't plan on doing that it's a moot point. I'll need a better one to do anything more and I'm sure the batteries would appreciate it. This is just a cheap and cheerful stop gap and it cost a buck so I'm happy.
One of my criteria in any mod is to do it as inexpensively and easily as possible, using as much recycle stuff as I can. That way anyone can do them easily if they choose to do the mod.
A 250W supply should work for your Hyperion no?
I have more batteries and another drone(as is) on way, so when I get all that, and a bit more time on my hand rehab we will have to go fly. I'm sure you have some cool spots as you said :)
Thanks again
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

TomFitz
Just flips over

Post by TomFitz » 11 Jun 2013, 23:23

Most guys who parallel charge multicell batts at the track have a 12v power supply to take load off of chargers . I have never attempted this , i would just buy a charger that does 4 batts at once . I have seen MANY lipos go up in flames over the last 8 years of experience with them , for many reasons too . I WONT take the risk of jimmy rigging a charger to do as it isnt intended ... common sense ,,, even though it may work THIS TIME , im not kicking my own ass if and when something DID happen to it and it burned my home down and insurance voids me . Common sense , this mod works for one batt . Period . and i just charged with my mod'd chargers on a 1300mah pack and it charged nearly as fast as my Hyperion did the same batt . Mod success i say . Thanks again . Those 3 useless stock chargers now have a duty to perform and thats always good .
Full Blown Addict - - - Anything RC

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 11 Jun 2013, 23:36

Yup, anytime a fella hacks into something like this there's always the chance it won't work or it dies. I'm not willing to burn down my home or anyone else's for damn sure. Just need to exercise some common sense, which apparently isn't so common sadly. Anyone seriously considering multi batt charging would laugh at this thing, I would :lol:, as they'd know better. Good chargers cost money cost money for a reason.

Kyrt
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Kyrt » 12 Jun 2013, 00:10

There's nothing wrong with the Parrot charger IMO, it's just only capable of charging at about 1 amp that's all. It's probably not a good idea to charge the stock battery with any more current than that anyway. For my regular lipos I use a "chinese special" charger, which can do upto 5 or 6 amps. I scrounged a surplus laptop power supply for it, so it only cost me $20 in total if I remember correctly. I still only tend to use a couple of amps, I'm rarely in a rush and lower is generally better for the batteries.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 12 Jun 2013, 00:29

Kyrt wrote:There's nothing wrong with the Parrot charger IMO, it's just only capable of charging at about 1 amp that's all. It's probably not a good idea to charge the stock battery with any more current than that anyway. For my regular lipos I use a "chinese special" charger, which can do upto 5 or 6 amps. I scrounged a surplus laptop power supply for it, so it only cost me $20 in total if I remember correctly. I still only tend to use a couple of amps, I'm rarely in a rush and lower is generally better for the batteries.
Yes exactly and that's why the main purpose of the mod is to do one battery. The Nano Tech batt can handle 5C charging, but the Parrot is made for 1C and no surprise as it's a low output battery. That's all I'd use on it with any charger.

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 12 Jun 2013, 09:14

pbody2013 wrote: Yes exactly and that's why the main purpose of the mod is to do one battery. The Nano Tech batt can handle 5C charging, but the Parrot is made for 1C and no surprise as it's a low output battery. That's all I'd use on it with any charger.
To be precise Parrot is made for 1A. It happens to be 1C for the stock 1000mAh battery, but will be less for bigger batteries (e.g. 0.77C for 1300mAh, 0.4C fr 2500mAh etc.)

Not that it makes it any worse or better, just clarifying the technicalities for those interested.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 12 Jun 2013, 21:19

Your info and calculations are correct, yet superfluous to my mod. No math is required or needed. Those interested in the current output may well know how to perform this simple calculation, charger output(milliamps) /battery capacity(mah)=current output in amps. Yes the 1 Amp output of this charger happens to be equivalent to 1C of the Parrot battery, or any 1000mah battery. The same applies to the 1000mah Zippy I have, yet the Zippy can be charged at 2 amps or C as happens to be in this case. .
Those interested in the numbers, if any, would likely ask me if they wanted the info. I didn't add this info as it's not needed or required for the mod. The one number that perhaps would be useful is 2hrs, thats' the approx time it takes to charge the Nano Tech ( .76923077C) to be precise, and yes that fits with the math as the parrot takes about 90mins.

samuelson80
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by samuelson80 » 01 Feb 2014, 20:15

hi all.
could anyone direct me to the lead to do this mod.
many thanks.