Dissatisfactory result repeater range with Engenius ecb-9500

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Ar Spank
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Dissatisfactory result repeater range with Engenius ecb-9500

Post by Ar Spank » 27 Sep 2015, 19:39

Hello I've extended my range using an Engenius ecb-9500 running stock firmware with 100%tx (which will probable be 100mW). I have 5dbi antenna's or 7 dbi antenna's for the Access point an my ar drone has an power/elite motherboard and no further modifications. The access point is sitting on an camera tripod at approx 1.5m and powered via extender cord.

When im flying i can reach approximately 30m with good control and video feed. Video feed starts to disrupt after 40m and the furthest i've gone is about 50m which is about the range where the control starts to dissappear. I've tried using the ar drone flight pro app(normal google play version nothing sinister) and that did not show any battery level so is not possible for me to use so im using freeflight.

Im wondering what i can do to improve range w/o utilizing an external antenna to my drone because i feel i should be able to reach much further without that.

What i am going to do in the future:

get my spares drone running so that i can rule out my 'prime drone'
order an small tamiya plug cable so i can fly in the outdoors instead of an rural area with no wifi signal(didnt rule out other interferance)
experiment using just 801.22b or g (n doest work right)
i could use an TL-WA5110G access point

Is it normal to have this kind of performance using an decent access point like the engenius oppossed to the entry line devices displayed in youtube video's like the tl wa-830-re?

should other accespoints perform better than the ecb-9500?

solaris8x86
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: Dissatisfactory result repeater range with Engenius ecb-

Post by solaris8x86 » 30 Sep 2015, 03:26

I think you just misconfigured the access point to be working in the Repeater mode. Notes that, router mode (or access point mod) is different comparing to the Repeater mode and they look alike on the appearance but working in a total different radio mechanism. If you are able to do the Repeater Mod. You should be able to do about > 300 meters. So that I can tell you have misconfigured your device. Try it again.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ

Ar Spank
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Dissatisfactory result repeater range with Engenius ecb-

Post by Ar Spank » 30 Sep 2015, 18:00

what kind of misconfiguration are we talking about? when i pull the plug from the access point in repeater mode the wifi goes down also. When i turn on the Engenius before the drone has established wifi the connection does not get an adress so i cannot connect, Therefor i thought i was connected via the Access point but apperantly im doing something wrong?