Bebop Router Mod 5GHz @ 3,000mW (3W)

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
solaris8x86
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Bebop Router Mod 5GHz @ 3,000mW (3W)

Postby solaris8x86 » 28 Jun 2015, 11:03

Router Mod for AR Drone 3.0 Router Mod Type (Bebop Router Mod)

* Check out the mod steps of AR Drone 3.0 Router Mod Type here if you want to see what Bebop drone pairs with this custom-made router. http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=8520

Technical Explanation

AR Drone 3.0 Router Mod Type (3.0 RMT) or known as Bebop Router Mod is an exclusive mod model and the most powerful and reliable AR Drone (Bebop Drone) on this planet. In order to control such a quadcopter to achieve perfect flight records. The software protocols (802.11n) and hardware structure of its control station - router must be well tuned in a very precise manner.

Flying in a crowd city means flying in a RF congested area too. Most people do not understand how come the stock drone and Sky shit cannot maintain a stable radio linkage such ask "Link out of control", intermittent Freeflight disconnection, extreme FPV lagging are all caused by the failure of Parrot radio engineering and programming development. In fact, Parrot's drones are craps without enhancement which is well known for years. So, in 3.0 (Bebop) development. Parrot tried to enhance its radio connectivity by using the legacy RF repeating technology called repeater - technical terms, or Sky shit - consumer terms. A Sky shit in RF theory has no big different comparing to a WiFi repeater (US consumers called it Extender). They use the same inefficient way to split the working frequency into 1/2 for receiving and to re-amplify the signal to the source and destination which needs to handle twice "amplification" between reach each others. That's why repeater technology halves bandwidth and less stable against RF interference in a radio congesting area such as in a RC field or in the city.

A router, does not amplify the signal in the middle of source (router) and destination (drone). Instead, it emits its own TX power directly to the drone. And the drone sends back its own pre-ampflied TX power (thru a RF booster) back to the router in a bi-directional schema. It is ideal because since their signal power is strong enough so halving the bandwidth for amplification is no longer necessary in the traffic. As a result. A router mod can enjoy a full bandwidth transmission and a more stable connectivity because channel-shifting becomes much more efficiency when encountering interference. And the Freeflight can show a true signal strength at all time while a repeater (extender) can let the Freeflight shows only a signal strength in between your tablet and the repeater. Not the tablet and the drone. So when using a repeater with AR/Bebop drone. The user wouldn't know the true signal during the flight and it could cause the drone to fly out of the range that the signal can reach.

Technical Concern of Router Mod

Although Router Mod Type is the most reliable AR Drone mod type among all the others. The draw back is it is very hard to mod-to-succeed. It is due to dealing with the hardware component is not the only technical requirement to achieve the mod. It also requires additional programming knowledge to alter the drone's firmware and apply a couple of handling logic against different type of situations when the drone having troubles. Well, I can't explain everything in here but the following images are the output of a router mod solution.

1. Measurement of TX Power output of the Bebop Router Mod (powered by Ubiquiti Bullet M5).
Router 001.JPG

2. It is probably the strongest TX power ever produced for controlling AR Drone 3.0 in the world. 2.96W = 34.71dbm which is 148 times more stronger than the TX power of a Parrot Sky shit can produce. In New Sealand, Canada, USA and Hong Kong. This output level is still compliance to the local RF regulations.
Router 002.JPG

3. The front view of Router Mod.
Router 003.JPG

4. The side view of Router Mod. A 5GHz frequency AirBlade omni-directional circular polarised antenna (CP) is mounted on top of the battery & booster housing. The yellow label area is actually a piece of heatsink of the booster.
Router 004.JPG

5. Custom-made DIY PoE power cord for feeding 12v power to the router. And to make sure it works flawlessly at 5GHz high frequency. The RF cable and SMA connectors are DC-18GHz compliance & MIL-standard certified. :mrgreen:
Router 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ

orybarfly
Battery Charged
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: Bebop Router Mod 5GHz @ 3,000mW (3W)

Postby orybarfly » 22 May 2016, 22:31

I'm very interested in the mod that you have made on the drone's firmware. I'd be very thankful if you could share what specific points in the drones firmware you had to change. I don't have the knowledge to change anything in linux for now, but if I could have a guide on what exactly should I mod, maybe I could learn a way to do it from other posts that are dealing with linux. In any case, you did a very good job.

Return to “Mods - Custom Peripherals”