How to extend AR Drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g/n)

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
iceman198
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g

Post by iceman198 » 01 May 2014, 15:22

Wanted to chime in here. I saw one guy using a Nexus 7 who just soldered an external wifi antenna to it. I decided to take the back off my Acer A700 Iconia and it was even easier for me. No soldering involved. I just wanted to try something simple so I just got a little pigtail adapter and a 9dbi antenna to get some extra range with my tablet. So $11 later (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMH ... UTF8&psc=1), I had noticably improved range! It was great! Problem is, I live in a small lot...surrounded by trees....so yup...got stuck in a tree...good. 50ft in the air. =( Not a happy camper. Spent a couple hours trying to get it down as it started to rain. Well...it is still up there...a day later...still raining. Might be able to get it down this weekend with some buddies but not expecting any of the electronics to survive. C'est la vie.

Anyhoo, wanted to just let you guys know that if you have a table or phone you're willing to take apart, you might find you won't have to do any soldering. Find an old router you have an you'll probably find you have the mini PCIe wifi pigtail right there! I had one at home and didn't now it!

Anyone got an AR drone 2.0 going cheap?!

cubitusclaudius
Battery Charged

Post by cubitusclaudius » 19 May 2014, 20:57

j4m3sy wrote:I went with the TP-Link TL-WA830RE and so far so good. I might upgrade the extender antenna following from feedback in this thread, however I only place it on the floor currently.

I am waiting on my WiFi antenna motherboard to arrive from central US drones, which will be the last modification I do for the AR Drone :).
Hi,

did you use the original power cable you cut?

I'm interested by TP-Link TL-WA830RE because of the price. Can you tell me the the range you reach with it?

I'm new here. I noticed a very bad range with HTC one Sometimes disconnects at 30 meters. With Acer W510 W8.1 tablet I get connected more than 100 m, maybe 200 m, not sure
the problem with Freeflight on W8 is the version : no director mode, no GPS mode and strange reactions sometimes. For example a lot of drift when rotating or sudden rotation when driving straight...

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 19 May 2014, 23:12

iceman198 wrote:Wanted to chime in here. I saw one guy using a Nexus 7 who just soldered an external wifi antenna to it. I decided to take the back off my Acer A700 Iconia and it was even easier for me. No soldering involved.
That was me with the Nexus 7 Heli-Pad mod... I recently got to do an Acer iconia tablet for a forum member here and man was that an awesome find inside there with the u.fl connector all ready to go... wish I knew about those tablets 2 years ago!! :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

cubitusclaudius
Battery Charged

Post by cubitusclaudius » 20 May 2014, 08:43

DBS wrote:
iceman198 wrote:Wanted to chime in here. I saw one guy using a Nexus 7 who just soldered an external wifi antenna to it. I decided to take the back off my Acer A700 Iconia and it was even easier for me. No soldering involved.
That was me with the Nexus 7 Heli-Pad mod... I recently got to do an Acer iconia tablet for a forum member here and man was that an awesome find inside there with the u.fl connector all ready to go... wish I knew about those tablets 2 years ago!! :ugeek:
Are you still flying with AR Drone, now you have a DJI Phantom?
can you tell if if I could do the same antenna mode with my AVER Iconia W510?

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 20 May 2014, 10:38

cubitusclaudius wrote: Are you still flying with AR Drone, now you have a DJI Phantom?
can you tell if if I could do the same antenna mod with my AVER Iconia W510?
Not flying AR anymore...

The W510 looks like it can be modded but I couldn't find a lot of info about where it's wifi antenna is located...
In this pic you can see u.fl connectors at the top left that I bet would lead to an internal wifi antenna
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

cubitusclaudius
Battery Charged

Post by cubitusclaudius » 23 May 2014, 13:18

DBS wrote: Not flying AR anymore...

The W510 looks like it can be modded but I couldn't find a lot of info about where it's wifi antenna is located...
In this pic you can see u.fl connectors at the top left that I bet would lead to an internal wifi antenna
I'm afraid about opening my Iconia W510.

But I thought maybe I could get good results connecting an external USB WIFI receptor with antenna such as http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CLE-CARTE-WIFI-U ... 3ce1639611

this one for example can be sticked on the back of W510...

Edit : maybe it is forbidden to give commercial URL. tell me so and I take away the URL

iceman198
Newcomer

Post by iceman198 » 23 May 2014, 13:51

DBS wrote: I'm afraid about opening my Iconia W510.

But I thought maybe I could get good results connecting an external USB WIFI receptor with antenna such as http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CLE-CARTE-WIFI-U ... 3ce1639611

this one for example can be sticked on the back of W510...

Edit : maybe it is forbidden to give commercial URL. tell me so and I take away the URL
I tried the 'bearextend' on my a700 (similar to the link you post above) and it doesn't register with the tablet. You need drivers. Maybe the windows rt might work but I doubt it. Because it plugs in via USB to your PC and shows as it's own wireless card. If someone gets this to work, I would LOVE to know how!

P.S. ~ ended up getting my drone out of the tree after it spent 2 nights there! Ended up using mason line with a wrench socket tied to the end and shaking the thing out. Even after all that, let it dry out over night, plugged in a new batter and it WORKS JUST FINE! Crazy!

cubitusclaudius
Battery Charged

Post by cubitusclaudius » 23 May 2014, 14:05

iceman198 wrote:
I tried the 'bearextend' on my a700 (similar to the link you post above) and it doesn't register with the tablet. You need drivers. Maybe the windows rt might work but I doubt it. Because it plugs in via USB to your PC and shows as it's own wireless card. If someone gets this to work, I would LOVE to know how!
Iconia W510 is not RT It is a full PC tablet. Yes I thought it could replace internal WiFi but more powerful?
Last edited by cubitusclaudius on 23 May 2014, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

iceman198
Newcomer

Post by iceman198 » 23 May 2014, 14:09

cubitusclaudius wrote: Iconia W510 is not RT It is a full PC tablet. Yes I thought it could replace internal WiFi but more powerful?
Oh, if that is the case, it should work then! That would be cool! You will probably have to download the drivers from their site (unless you have an external CDROM drive) but if that is the case, it should work. Maybe download the drivers from their site first and see if it installs ok...do that before you order it. =)

cubitusclaudius
Battery Charged

Post by cubitusclaudius » 23 May 2014, 14:57

iceman198 wrote: Oh, if that is the case, it should work then! That would be cool! You will probably have to download the drivers from their site (unless you have an external CDROM drive) but if that is the case, it should work. Maybe download the drivers from their site first and see if it installs ok...do that before you order it. =)
this one seems to work on :
Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1.
Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9
Linux 2.6, Debian 3.1 (kernel 2.6.13), Unix.

and has his own CD. but in general I prefer to download directly the up to date drivers...

So I'll order it and then tell you folks.

iceman198
Newcomer

Post by iceman198 » 23 May 2014, 15:10

cubitusclaudius wrote: this one seems to work on :
Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1.
Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9
Linux 2.6, Debian 3.1 (kernel 2.6.13), Unix.

and has his own CD. but in general I prefer to download directly the up to date drivers...

So I'll order it and then tell you folks.
Sweet, do keep us posted!

SkyMind
Battery Charged

Post by SkyMind » 20 Jul 2014, 16:18

MAPGPS wrote:
Candu wrote:Hi MAPGPS: Very interesting. Does it mean that if I follow your direction in this post I would end up with a customized Linux kernel that would support an external USB to WiFi adopter connected to ardrone's USB port?
The answer is Yes in theory.
I do not have a USB WiFi device, so not tried that yet.
But I have tried successfully with other USB devices: USB SD card reader, USB disk, USB 3G modem, USB Hub, Arduino:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=1381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's on your own risk to do such modification. You must know how to do USB based Firmware flash, as it is the last method to recover the system in case you made some wrong persistent changes to the system files which caused WiFi broken. Refer to scorpion2k's Blog:
http://embedded-software.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you just run those commands I posted for a trial, it's safe. As it is a memory based one-time changes, and will be automatically recovered after a power cycle.
Have you guys been able to get this workig ? I would like to try my Alpha on my drone...

Pape
Ready for take off

Post by Pape » 13 Aug 2014, 16:25

garrock wrote:A far more important spec is the Range Extenders WiFi radio Receive Sensitivity; not the transmit output power.
The Range Extenders transmit output power will not gain you any extra distance since the weakest link by far is the drone measly 30mw of transmit power. So, you need to be able to hear the drone far more than talk to it.

Amped SR10000 is: -94dBi
TP-Link is: -90dBi

Those are the mfg specs and we know how specs can be stated.
If accurate, however, and extra 4dBi might not sound like much but when you are near the edge of your control range it can mean a noticeable increase in distance.

Also, my limited tests and tech support chat with Amped leaves me doubting if just one antenna can be used on the Amped SR10000. (have no run time with TP-Link products). So, when I use directional 14dBi panel antennas, I use two of them.
Here is my theory
Most AP / Router are single wireless network card, yes they can do multiple SSID but the are all happening on the same channel. If you read how the universal repeater work you will find that the repeater will cut the speed in half in matter to be able to repeat the packet without creating noise on the frequency.

the universal repeater: the one only repeating a single ssid "not client for the drone and than resend the packet as a other SSID" suffer from the "zone" problem. let say you are in range of both devices "the drone and the repeater" the chance you receive packet in double is high. Packet in double in tcp mode is not a big deal as they are sequenced and acknowledged therefore your device will discard any packet in double it receive or request any missing packet back to the server. In udp mode this is a other story, as udp is a stateless protocol therefore you can receive packet in incorrect order or missing and the client will not know it or receive it in double unless the payload contain a packet state, in this case why use udp.

On single wireless card the best will be a client and AP mode if the system cut the speed in half on both side to alternate between receive and send so the drone, the Ap and the client do not speak at the same time. In this case half duplex can also be a option but not sure the application we wish to do here can support it.

Down to the SR1000 and SR2000 both have dual W card therefore giving the best support for the repeating function you place the client on the default frequency and generate a new AP with new SSID on the different frequency therefore there is no chance of creating noise / collision and retain full speed.

Depending on your budget and ability to fiddle around sometime a complete solution like the SR make more sense than going and get 2 cheap AP / Router install third party FW if they do not support what you try to do and configure them as client and AP.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 14 Aug 2014, 01:31

In the environments I've flown, it is not a matter of how efficient the 2.4ghz band is being used by the range extender.

It's a matter of how well the range extender can hear the AR Drone (RSSI receive sensitivity.) That might include changing out the range extenders antennas for higher gain units (at the expense of directionalizing the RF pattern).
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

irmadcow
Newcomer

Re: How to extend AR Drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g

Post by irmadcow » 16 Aug 2015, 03:31

I just tested an Airlink 101 AP671W and worked great powered by the original 1000mAh battery, super easy setup as repeater. IP: 192.168.1.2, Gateway: 192.168.1.1. BUT....

The stinking Airlink access point forgets its settings when it looses power :-(
I have to configure it plugged into external battery before use (or anytime I unplug it).

I hear TP Link is a fave for a lot of folks, what model seems to be the best?

I need a better solution....