How to extend AR Drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g/n)

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
marcus621000
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Re: How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g

Post by marcus621000 » 01 Dec 2013, 03:20

Wow she can get in the way antyime,,geee LOVELY.

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pixxelpusher » 02 Jan 2014, 14:59

Great thread, lots to read through here!

Like all I'm looking for a good / affordable range extender. After reading a load of posts, 2 that are standing out are the:

Edimax EW-7416APN
or the
TPLink WA830RE

Any opinions on these? and which one is a better buy over the other? Would range be similar for both?

I saw a clip on youtube where a guy apparently flies 630 Meters with the WA830RE... is this likely?

garrock
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by garrock » 03 Jan 2014, 01:42

pixxelpusher wrote:Any opinions on these? and which one is a better buy over the other? Would range be similar for both?
I don't use either but far more important is the Receive Sensitivity spec... not transmit power.
Transmit power is NOT the weak link. It is the drones transmit power which means it is more important to be able to hear it.

I use an Amped SR10000 setup and fly out to a Kilo Meter (3280 feet) and back.

However, other range extenders do well too.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off

Post by pixxelpusher » 03 Jan 2014, 03:35

Thanks for the reply garrock, yes from all the reading I've been doing I've learnt just that.
For me at the moment it comes down to price, the SR10000 is about $160 while the other 2 are around $50 (more within my budget) which is why I was wondering how they compare, I'm still catching up on the tech side of it all, but if anyone has used either of those 2 are they a good buy for price? Is one better than the other for any reason?

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off

Post by pixxelpusher » 07 Jan 2014, 14:33

Just further on this, I have a 5v portable battery with usb ports on it which I'd like to use to power the range extender, however the range extender is 12V, would this step up converter work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Charge ... 0952649860

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 07 Jan 2014, 17:57

pixxelpusher wrote:Just further on this, I have a 5v portable battery with usb ports on it which I'd like to use to power the range extender, however the range extender is 12V, would this step up converter work?
Considering using a drone battery with an adapter cable. The battery will last for hours powering a range extender: For extra convenience:
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off

Post by pixxelpusher » 08 Jan 2014, 08:57

Thanks garrock, I did think about that but would prefer to keep my batteries for flying for now (only have 2) and I already have the usb battery pack so thought I'd make use of it. It's one of these:

http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-dynamo ... books.html

Great little pack and at 10400 mAh packs a lot of power, so just trying to see if I can get 12V out of it... and with 2 usb's can keep my iphone charged at the same time :)

Had a short message back from the ebay seller who said it should work to power a repeater, so might just give it a try and see.

RemcoZ
Just flips over

Post by RemcoZ » 08 Jan 2014, 10:07

pixxelpusher wrote:Thanks garrock, I did think about that but would prefer to keep my batteries for flying for now (only have 2) and I already have the usb battery pack so thought I'd make use of it. It's one of these:

http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-dynamo ... books.html

Great little pack and at 10400 mAh packs a lot of power, so just trying to see if I can get 12V out of it... and with 2 usb's can keep my iphone charged at the same time :)

Had a short message back from the ebay seller who said it should work to power a repeater, so might just give it a try and see.
Hi pixxelpusher, i am using a WRT54G or range extending and it's working like a charm. the unit works on 12V with a 700ma draw. for the power supply it might also be easy to buy some single NI-MH or LI-ION cells and make your own little power pack. this way you can charge them with any hobby (balanced in case of the LI-ION cells) charger and use a converter to make it usb output as well so you can charge your phone. It might even be cheaper to get a 3S lipo since those last for hours and are easy to charge (if you have a charger). I am using a battery pack i made myself from LI-ION cells salvaged from a old laptop battery which puts out about 11.8V 3800mah which lasts about 3 hours of continuous use. so 10.000mah might be a little overkill.... just my 2 cents

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off

Post by pixxelpusher » 16 Jan 2014, 15:15

Hi RemcoZ thanks for the suggestion! I ended up getting a WRT54G after reading about them in the forums, got it on Ebay for $20 :) What version do you have? and what kind of range are you getting?

RemcoZ
Just flips over

Post by RemcoZ » 18 Jan 2014, 13:52

pixxelpusher wrote:Hi RemcoZ thanks for the suggestion! I ended up getting a WRT54G after reading about them in the forums, got it on Ebay for $20 :) What version do you have? and what kind of range are you getting?
Good choice! it really is a good low cost alternative. I got the V5 which reminds me you need to check this wiki http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li ... G/GL/GS/GX for the version of DD-wrt you need to use. i hope you did not get a V7 because that's the only one which does not work with DD-wrt... as for the range I did not go to limit's yet but i am easily getting 100meters vertically and 200+ horizontally in that order so that's 300+- even in wifi crowded area's such as suburbans i still get a good range. if you need help setting it up just post a message :)

pixxelpusher
Ready for take off

Post by pixxelpusher » 26 Jan 2014, 14:47

The WRT54G has arrived and I've finally had time to give this a go. I got the V6 one so thanks for letting me know about V7's (thank god it wasn't that version).
I think I've setup dd-wrt properly however how do you get some security on the WRT54G? I've read to leave the security setting off, but limit mac addresses... however when I try it just accepts any device anyway, doesn't matter if it's on the mac filter list or not?

Those ranges you've got sound pretty decent to me!! I'm just starting testing but I've got about 88m with direct Drone–iPhone 4s before it starts dropping out... and about 120m Drone–WRT54G–iPhone 4s before I run out of space :). This is all horizontal with the drone never going up further than about 10m as I'm still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to vertical flight :) The router is sitting on a tripod about 1.5m off the ground, with the stock antenna's in a V shape. Have you upgraded the antennas at all?

To do further testing I'm really going to have to find a bigger area to fly. I was thinking I might put the range info into a online spreadsheet, would be good if others could add to it with the setups they're using.

pajdo
Newcomer

Post by pajdo » 06 Mar 2014, 09:05

hi

I also looking for wifi extender for my drone .
I found this 2 routers TP Link Access Point WA5110G and http://routerboard.com/RBGrooveA-52HPn
Tell me wich one is best choise for my drone.Both must setup for AP or somethng else sory i am begginer .
Thnx for any informations and best regard

TheX
Battery Charged

Post by TheX » 14 Mar 2014, 06:03

Im using TP-Link TL-WA830RE and its work good to me

Skickat från min SGP321 via Tapatalk

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 14 Mar 2014, 22:10

A far more important spec is the Range Extenders WiFi radio Receive Sensitivity; not the transmit output power.
The Range Extenders transmit output power will not gain you any extra distance since the weakest link by far is the drone measly 30mw of transmit power. So, you need to be able to hear the drone far more than talk to it.

Amped SR10000 is: -94dBi
TP-Link is: -90dBi

Those are the mfg specs and we know how specs can be stated.
If accurate, however, and extra 4dBi might not sound like much but when you are near the edge of your control range it can mean a noticeable increase in distance.

Also, my limited tests and tech support chat with Amped leaves me doubting if just one antenna can be used on the Amped SR10000. (have no run time with TP-Link products). So, when I use directional 14dBi panel antennas, I use two of them.

j4m3sy
Ready for take off

Post by j4m3sy » 22 Apr 2014, 11:40

I went with the TP-Link TL-WA830RE and so far so good. I might upgrade the extender antenna following from feedback in this thread, however I only place it on the floor currently.

I am waiting on my WiFi antenna motherboard to arrive from central US drones, which will be the last modification I do for the AR Drone :).
http://ilikehavingstuff.wordpress.com
AR Drone 2.0 - Balanced / Straightened Props - Performance bearings - No hull stickers - Zip tie landing gear - TL-WA830RE v2 - WiFi antenna mod