How to extend AR Drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g/n)

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Peter Galbavy
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g

Postby Peter Galbavy » 08 Jul 2013, 12:27

Jhawk19 wrote:Hey guys, there is a lot of information here! :shock: Seriously! :shock:

So to bring it all back to a simple level for me, what's the most economical way to extend my range with the least amount of modification using "off the shelf" items?

I would still like the solution to be portable and possibly battery operated, although my Ram 1500 has a standard AC outlet that I can use to plug things in, like extenders, etc...

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well, what I've just done is buy a £17 TP-LINK TL-WA730RE from Amazon, plugin an external "laptop" battery pack at 12V (even though the supply should be 9V, it works fine) and then press the Range Extend button on the back after placing the AP near the drone after it's powered up. Works great. I have *not* done any range tests yet.

The above is the simplest thing - no config required apart from the button press.

I also bought the TP-LINK 15dBi omni antenna and a 3m "low loss" cable to stick on a tripod/lighting stand and play with once I get out into the field with longer life batteries (and am far enough away from civilisation not to screw anyone else's real WiFi).

The "final" part of this is to grab a TL-WA7210N outdoor AP when they ship them, but that's probably not going to actually be required.

Peter

OskarMike
Ready for take off

Postby OskarMike » 08 Jul 2013, 14:50

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer here :?: Does the Drone support WDS? Been exploring a few possible setups for extending wifi range.

Gazella*
Ready for take off

Postby Gazella* » 08 Jul 2013, 16:25

Do I have to get a router to extend the range? Any other alternatives?

OskarMike
Ready for take off

Postby OskarMike » 11 Jul 2013, 15:51

Which is the more popular setup here when using a range extender / repeater?

Normal repeater
Where the AP/router repeats the drone's signal using same SSID to a wider coverage area. The control device still connects to the same drone SSID and should be connected to the AP/router (but not always guaranteed)

Repeater bridge
Where the AP/router repeats the drone's signal using same SSID AND creates a SECOND SSID. Both SSID is bridged to each other. The control device connects to the SECOND SSID, but is still able to connect to the drone. Guaranteed to always connect to the AP/router instead of the drone

olorin90
Newcomer

Postby olorin90 » 13 Jul 2013, 15:06

Hi all

I wanted to extend the wifi range of the drone and I was wondering if the TP Link mod TL-WR702N would be a good choice. Has someone already bought it ?

Thanks in advance

OskarMike
Ready for take off

Postby OskarMike » 13 Jul 2013, 15:43

Getting one with a detachable antenna might serve you better in the long run, in case you decide to get a better antenna.

UTex
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

SR10000 will not connect to Drone

Postby UTex » 28 Jul 2013, 00:27

I have an AR Drone1 with an SR10000
The Drone connects and works fine via my iPhone
The SR10000 set-up wizard ran fine - I found and selected my Drone as the Home Network
My iPhone connects to the SR10000 fine
But, it appears that the Drone does not connect to the SR10000 :cry:
The set-up management shows 0% connectivity.
I re-set the SR10000, upgraded its firmware and re-ran the wizard.
At the end, I get a message that the Home Network (The Drone) will not connect.
Do I have to re-set the Drone (to unpair it from my iPhone)????
Anything else to try?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Postby garrock » 28 Jul 2013, 02:12

Hmmm. I no use pairing then try connecting thru the repeater.

Also, you probably already know this... you must turn on the drone and let it do its prop sequence and then turn on the range extender.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

dragonash
Chased the cat

Postby dragonash » 31 Jul 2013, 13:49

so i got this to power my linksys
http://www.ianker.com/anker-astro-exter ... 2-B16P100A

i tested it out briefly last night and lost my connection rather close.
The drone didnt seem any further away than normal.

Luckily it started lowering itself and hovering
I kept the altitude low because I wanted to test out distance, not height.
I'm going to try again when I get home from work - if the wind lets me - but what should I be expecting from a battery powered linksys 54g?

Better yet, its probably best for me to test it out by turning on the drone, placing it on the floor and walking away with the router and phone until i dont get video anymore. Would that be an accurate test?

also, how should the router be positioned for best results?

crmfghtr
Battery Charged

Postby crmfghtr » 17 Aug 2013, 02:22

I have managed to get 500' out of the amped wireless 10000. Now I am looking at the sr600ex, says 1.5 miles. Should be same simple setup, right?

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Postby DBS » 17 Aug 2013, 03:29

don't fall for that sr600ex... same radios you have in your sr10000 with a built in directional antenna that has to be pointed at the target... and read the Amped fine print

Amped Wireless wrote:

Note:
To achieve wireless range of up to 1.5 miles, it is necessary to use Amped Wireless Pro Series products together with line of sight: Pro Range Extender, Pro Access Point and/or Pro USB Adapter

Specifications are subject to change without notice.
* Range specifications are based on performance test results. Actual performance may vary due to differences in operating environments, building materials and wireless obstructions. Point-to-point wireless connections between Amped Wireless Professional Series products are required to achieve stated range specifications. Performance may increase or decrease over the stated specifications based on the overall wireless environment and conditions. Wireless coverage claims are used only as a reference and are not guaranteed as each wireless network is uniquely different

You can add much better antenna to the repeater you already have and come out ahead of that sr600 for less money...

Stick with your sr1000 and experiment with antennas to get more range ... look at what forum member Garrock is doing with that same repeater.
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

crmfghtr
Battery Charged

Postby crmfghtr » 17 Aug 2013, 03:40

Thanks DBS, I will give that a shot instead

bobasbury
Just flips over

Postby bobasbury » 17 Aug 2013, 11:27

crmfghtr wrote:Thanks DBS, I will give that a shot instead

I have the SR10000 and I use the Amped Wireless AD14EX http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/ad14ex.html with it when I have a hankerin' to go deep. I think that you'll find that on most occasions, the SR10000 alone is enough.

I find myself tempted and drawn to do long range flights, but I don't enjoy them. Does that make sense? Conversely, the range provided by the SR10000 gives awesome all-around (and up) range.

You can see my SR10000 alone in this video. I wanted to take shots of this parking lot, and this woman got in the way....

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/1XU86XQD8jU
You can't beat your brain for entertainment.

AiQaz3G
Newcomer

Postby AiQaz3G » 14 Sep 2013, 18:53

Is it possible to do the entire process using a smartphone instead of a wifi router? Galaxy s3. :lol: :?:

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

Postby ShellDude » 14 Sep 2013, 21:48

Unfortunately not without a little intervention on your part. Our androids built in softap are hardcoded to a subnet different from the one the drone defaults to.

With that said I do it all the time... Just takes a little tweaking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Return to “Mods - Custom Peripherals”