How to extend AR Drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g/n)

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
dragonash
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g

Post by dragonash » 26 Jun 2013, 20:27

LMC0731 wrote:My wifi extender & multifuntion powerbank.

:P

omg, thats perfect!
where can i get that?

would this be good for a linksys wrt54g router?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2290RG9451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 28 Jun 2013, 14:17

Brilliant :-)

I was scratching my head and trying to figure out how to get 5v from my 12 SLAB to drive my Edimax EW722APN extender, and seeing the last post I remembered that I'd got a 'Power Monkey' rechargeable power supply for my iPhone. I know the Edimax works fine as I've completed flight tests with it plugged into the mains supply. I'm not going to break any range records with this cheap little device, but It's better than just the iPhone/iPad.

Plugging into the Power Monkey for 2 hours only reduced the charge by 2 of the 7 power indicator bars. Next is flight testing away from the mains supply!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ruyton on 28 Jun 2013, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 28 Jun 2013, 15:09

Ah ha! Another portable solution. I don't expect this tiny Pico FreeLoader power supply to last as long as the Power Monkey, but its been running for 10 minutes so far and still showing three quarters charged. Maybe the solar panel will extend it's life fractionally?

Technical Description:
• 75mA premium quality crystalline solar cells
• 800mAh environmentally friendly Li-ion battery – typical battery life is 2 years.
• Input Voltage – 5v / 250mA
• Freeloader PICO’s solar panels can charge its internal battery in as little as 10 hours or 3 to 4 hours when using the supplied master cable
• Supplied with a power master cable and four adaptors to fit the following:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

dragonash
Chased the cat

Post by dragonash » 28 Jun 2013, 20:36

this might be the one im looking for http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Mu ... B005NGKR54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 01 Jul 2013, 14:34

A question please for you guys running wifi extenders.

I've only used my extender a short range just to prove that it works. Startup sequence I've used is AR Drone on first, wifi repeater on, then iPad on and connect to the wifi repeater.

Now, if when you are flying you go out of range of the repeater and the connection drops out, will the link be re-established when the drone comes back into the range of the repeater or do I need to chase the drone and try to connect direct from the iPad to the drone?

The reason I'm wondering is because in the event of a disconnection between the repeater and the drone, the sequence I used at startup isn't going to be followed. Still too darn windy to go flying to try this out :-(
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 01 Jul 2013, 14:57

Ruyton wrote:... if when you are flying you go out of range of the repeater and the connection drops out, will the link be re-established when the drone comes back into the range of the repeater or do I need to chase the drone and try to connect direct from the iPad to the drone?
I use an Amped brand SR10000 Range Extender. What I've experienced is if the drone looses connection with the Range Extender then it will not reconnect and will rotor down to about a meter off the ground a wait there for you to directly reconnect or the battery is drained.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 01 Jul 2013, 15:01

Thanks for that Garrock, that makes sense.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Peter Galbavy
Ready for take off

Post by Peter Galbavy » 02 Jul 2013, 11:55

I'm new to this battery powered AP stuff but while searching I found a solar assisted power bank (only 200mA charging or so, mind) that carries 23,000mAh and outputs 12V amongst others.

The product appears to be this, originally: http://www.allpowers.net/product_detail.php?id=306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only non-Chinese shipper I could find on Amazon marketplace wanted £94 inc shipping (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safari-Mobile-S ... 54IIVXZB70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

While the solar part may just be a gimic, I can see this being useful while camping etc. anyway for general duties. Quite large, the pics show it almost the same size as an iPad.

Fingers crossed.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jul 2013, 13:34

Peter Galbavy wrote:... only 200mA charging or so
At that rate, it would take many hours to charge a drone battery.

Power your Range Extender from a drone battery. Then you only have one battery type to deal with. Most Range Extenders run off of 12VDC. Some use a different DC voltage. In that case, you would also need a DC regulator (ie a BEC).

While out in the field or camping, perhaps use the following:
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Peter Galbavy
Ready for take off

Post by Peter Galbavy » 02 Jul 2013, 19:03

Thanks for the advice but my plan is not to charge done batteries. Going to use it to power an AP and USB stuff. Maybe even my laptop for non drone apps.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jul 2013, 21:34

Peter Galbavy wrote:Going to use it to power an AP and USB stuff.
Let me/us know how it works out for you.

eballesq
Up and hovering

Post by eballesq » 02 Jul 2013, 21:55

garrock wrote:
Ruyton wrote:... if when you are flying you go out of range of the repeater and the connection drops out, will the link be re-established when the drone comes back into the range of the repeater or do I need to chase the drone and try to connect direct from the iPad to the drone?
I use an Amped brand SR10000 Range Extender. What I've experienced is if the drone looses connection with the Range Extender then it will not reconnect and will rotor down to about a meter off the ground a wait there for you to directly reconnect or the battery is drained.
This is my experience as well -- I also use the SR10000. On one occasion I flew too high and the wind carried my drone over a bank of tall pines behind my house, at which point I lost connection and had no idea where the drone was. After several minutes of sheer panic, I found the drone hovering 3 ft off the ground in the middle of the street in a development behind my property.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jul 2013, 22:23

eballesq wrote:After several minutes of sheer panic, I found the drone hovering 3 ft off the ground in the middle of the street in a development behind my property.
You can directly connect to it at that point.

Panic Reduction Tip:
  • Also, if using an Android device: always good to have a WiFi analyzer App loaded. Use it to locate your missing drone before the battery runs out. First run the App and hold your device out away from you to see if there is any drone WiFi signal. If so, then hold it closer to your chest and slowly rotate 360 degree as you watch the RSSI level. Then walk in the direct of the highest signal.

Jhawk19
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by Jhawk19 » 07 Jul 2013, 19:02

Hey guys, there is a lot of information here! :shock: Seriously! :shock:

So to bring it all back to a simple level for me, what's the most economical way to extend my range with the least amount of modification using "off the shelf" items?

I would still like the solution to be portable and possibly battery operated, although my Ram 1500 has a standard AC outlet that I can use to plug things in, like extenders, etc...

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Gazella*
Ready for take off

Post by Gazella* » 07 Jul 2013, 19:46

I'm so confused because from my understanding the AR.Drone generates its own wi-fi network so no wi-fi is needed. I've seen a lot of people flying their drones outdoors and very far and high without all that.