Question on antenna's

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
oldjarhead46
Just flips over
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Question on antenna's

Post by oldjarhead46 » 09 Oct 2013, 10:27

I have a question. Does anybody here have any experience with shutting off the deversity chip , splitting the antenna's , and using OEM antenna for receiving from Ipad and attach a Yagi or Parabolic antenna to transmit to Drone?
I have an article that mentions it but doesn't go into enough detail that I want to try yet.
Thanks

bobasbury
Just flips over

Re: Question on antenna's

Post by bobasbury » 09 Oct 2013, 11:43

That sounds messy and dangerous. Why not use a wifi repeater instead?
You can't beat your brain for entertainment.

oldjarhead46
Just flips over

Post by oldjarhead46 » 09 Oct 2013, 15:39

Sorry, I forgot to list that this post was for using a wrt54g router with DD-WRT firmware.

Schmede Erik
Newcomer
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Schmede Erik » 08 Nov 2013, 04:14

Alright so I did as much research as I possibly can and I learned a great deal about these newer technologies from this website but I still can't find a clear explanation of "streams" and how they relate to the number of antenna connectors in a laptop.

oldjarhead46
Just flips over

Post by oldjarhead46 » 26 Jun 2015, 18:27

I posted this quite a while ago and didn't receive an answer to my original question. I was asking if anyone had tried using larger antenna's on the wrt54g router?
Thanks

solaris8x86
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by solaris8x86 » 27 Jun 2015, 06:10

oldjarhead46 wrote:I posted this quite a while ago and didn't receive an answer to my original question. I was asking if anyone had tried using larger antenna's on the wrt54g router?
Thanks

Yes, you can attached any same wave length antenna (no matter big or small) on any routers. Antenna is used only for controlling the radiation pattern of the beam power on how to emit the radiation power in what form of radiation shape (signal reachable area in a 3D space). It will not produce any extra TX power for your router. Big antenna normally has a higher dBi gain and a more narrow of beam angle. It is good only if you want to go far IN A NARROW AND FLAT angle where the draw back is limiting the area you want your drone to fly around in short distance. And not good if you are flying the drone too close to yourself or with a broad angle of range.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ