Login to disable ads!

Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by pawelsky » 08 Oct 2013, 15:41

bretcobrageek wrote:Pawelsky, I was hoping to do the "have-disk" route, but when I pointed it to the unzipped directory it couldn't find a driver. I think this directory is just the installer for the driver and doesn't actually have the driver. Do you know where it put the actual driver? (at least that's my guess as to why it wasn't working).
It is in the zip file containing the driver (CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip). You need to point to a directory containing slabvcp.inf file.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 08 Oct 2013, 19:17

I'll post the "official" parrot drivers tonight. I have them now and will make them available on my ec2 farm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Jackson3006
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Jackson3006 » 08 Oct 2013, 20:46

Hi,

try this Driver Package...

Regards,
Jackson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 09 Oct 2013, 02:23

Pawelsky, that's one of the things I tried, but it still didn't accept it. Probably need to modify the file as Jackson was saying.

Jackson, that driver seemed to work. It accepted it and named it "Flight Recorder" in the device manager. But when the popup came up on the task bar it called it the "Microsoft serial ballpoint" or something like that. Seemed odd. What did you change? I can't see any difference in the inf file, but maybe I missed something.

Thanks for the driver. Now I need to figure out how to use a GPS on windows :-).

Jackson3006
Ready for take off

Post by Jackson3006 » 09 Oct 2013, 02:43

There is no magic in it, I only add the new VID/PID in the original CP201x_VCP.ini.
Compare my and the original file then you see the differences.

Regards,
Jackson

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 09 Oct 2013, 03:09

Thanks Jackson. I see what you did now (notepad++ to the rescue). I was assuming to change all the PID/VIDs in the file but you just added new lines and identified it as "Flight Recorder".

I've poked around trying to get windows to recognize the GPS portion of this with the "location" tools in the control panel but it doesn't seem to recognize it correctly. You're right that it's not a big deal as I've now confirmed that it has the correct VID/PID and can be recognized as "Flight Recorder" which was the main goal. But it would be nice to be able to use it as GPS for my windows laptop. If you have tips on using the GPS from this please pass them on. Otherwise I'll just (im)patiently wait for my drone to finally arrive. Thanks for all the help.

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 09 Oct 2013, 03:44

bretcobrageek wrote:Pawelsky, that's one of the things I tried, but it still didn't accept it. Probably need to modify the file as Jackson was saying.
No, no need to modify the inf file. You probably chose the "Browse" button rather than going to the "Let me pick from a list..." screen

See steps 8-16 in the below tutorial (that is for different driver, but the steps are the same)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssu ... rial_8.htm
bretcobrageek wrote:If you have tips on using the GPS from this please pass them on.
Use SiRFDemo

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 09 Oct 2013, 03:46

Here are the original Parrot drivers (OSX & Windows)

http://ee.shellware.com/DRIVERS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 09 Oct 2013, 04:14

Pawelsky, you are absolutely correct. I thought I tried all the other options and couldn't find "have disk" and assumed you meant browse. But you're right. If I use the "have disk" option I was able to force it to use the standard silabs drivers.

Shelldude. Thanks for the original drivers. Copied those over and they work perfectly. Once installed it instantly recognized it as a flight recorder. Now maybe I should install one of the cool open source tools for programming and setting up the flight recorder...

Anyone tried to use this tweaked Navistick as a GPS for their PC? I'm curious how to get windows to use it for location services.

Thanks for all the help. Sorry for being slow/needy :-)

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 09 Oct 2013, 10:54

bretcobrageek wrote:I'm curious how to get windows to use it for location services.
You would have to use something like that
http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 11 Oct 2013, 02:02

Pawelsky, that's exactly what I needed. Using that it works perfectly. I can just use google maps and windows gets a perfect location info! Thanks for the link. Everything is working perfectly, now I just need to get the drone (which seems to be stuck somewhere in transit :-()

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 09 Nov 2013, 07:13

OK, after a long delay (ebay cheat) I have my drone and have plugged in the tweaked Navstick. But no satellites ever showed up. I just left it siting on the ground outside for probably 15 minutes and nothing ever registered. I had it plugged into my laptop in the same place a few weeks ago and had several show up there.

It shows the GPS hardware enabled and version 1.0 with Software _3.3.01. but 0 Satellites. How long should it take? Should I try a different spot? Does the cloudy weather mess things up? Any ideas? Thanks.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 09 Nov 2013, 16:57

Which navistick? For reasons I don't understand (it is the same hardware) my 4g stick locks faster than my 2g one.

I have to go thru a couple reboots to get the 2g to lock.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bretcobrageek
Ready for take off

Post by bretcobrageek » 09 Nov 2013, 17:37

I wasn't able to find the 4G or 2G for sale at a good price, so I ended up with the "LE". I thought it was the same thing just without the storage.

When you say reset, do you mean the rest button on the drone? Or do you mean plug/unplug the stick?

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 09 Nov 2013, 17:59

I didn't type reset. I typed "reboot". Either via software if your control software gives you that option or by unplugging an plugging the drones power source.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk