MaxAmps 1300 mAh review

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
bizzy drone
Newcomer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MaxAmps 1300 mAh review

Post by bizzy drone » 29 Nov 2010, 09:13

Ok, here's my long overdue review of MaxAmps 1300 mAh battery for the AR Drone (which I won on Parrot's English forum). Thanks again Brandon for the battery!

The contenders...

Parrot AR Drone LiPo
Capacity: 1000 mAh

VS

MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo
Capacity: 1300 mAh

The weigh in...

Using a small digital scale I weighed the two LiPos. Here are the weights.

Parrot AR Drone LiPo: 103.8 grams
MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo: 109.3 grams

I found the MaxAmps to weigh a little more than the the stock battery which is contrary to what was posted on Parrot's English forum.

Charge time...

Both LiPos were charged at a 1C rate using a Hyperion EOSO720i NET3 AD charger.

Parrot AR Drone LiPo: 1 hour 2 min 3 sec
MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo: 1 hour 20min 45 sec

The MaxAmps has an advantage of being fast charged up to a 5C rate.

C rating...

Parrot AR Drone LiPo: 10C
MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo: 90C

The MaxAmp's higher C rating does seem to help the battery run cooler while flying. I also notice the motors sound like they have a bit more "punch".

Flight time

Both batteries were flown auto hover using indoor hull/indoor flight settings.

Parrot AR Drone LiPo: 9 min 19 sec
MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo: 12 min 22 sec

As expected, the drone flew much longer on the 1300 mAh compared to the stock LiPo.

Price...

Parrot AR Drone LiPo: $29.99
MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo: $49.99

So does the old saying "you get what you pay for" apply here. Comparing the two I would say yes. Both LiPos aren't cheap but I appreciate having the option to pay a little more for the advantages MaxAmps LiPos offers. I guess all I have to do now is get my hands on their new 2600 mAh! :D

Parrot AR Drone LiPo
Capacity: 1000 mAh
Weight: 103.8 grams
Charge time: 1 hour 2 min 3 sec
C rating: 10C
Flight time: 9 min 19 sec
Price: $29.99

VS

MaxAmps Ar Drone LiPo
Capacity: 1300 mAh
Weight: 109.3 grams
Charge time: 1 hour 20 min 45 sec*
C rating: 90C
Flight time: 12 min 22 sec
Price: $49.99
*Can be fast charged up to 5C.
Last edited by bizzy drone on 01 Dec 2010, 02:03, edited 8 times in total.

CeKMTL
Ready for take off

MaxAmps 1300 mAh review

Post by CeKMTL » 29 Nov 2010, 10:17

Thx for the review, much appreciated!

CIAO!
CeK!

Sidlinger
Newcomer

Re: MaxAmps 1300 mAh review

Post by Sidlinger » 25 May 2012, 19:27

Hello. I have two Parrot batteries and two MaxAmps batteries for my 2.0.

With the MaxAmps I get longer runtimes but improper remaining capacity reporting. Basically, with the MaxAmps it very slowly counts down to around 50% then very rapidly counts down to 0%. If low I get maybe three seconds warning then it autolands. If high then it shuts down and falls.

Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks. -Bruce

szuu
Strange wobble

Post by szuu » 25 May 2012, 21:01

Sidlinger wrote:With the MaxAmps I get longer runtimes but improper remaining capacity reporting. Basically, with the MaxAmps it very slowly counts down to around 50% then very rapidly counts down to 0%. If low I get maybe three seconds warning then it autolands. If high then it shuts down and falls.
ardrone does not really report capacity (and remaining power), it just measures the voltage. batteries have various discharge curves and the poor drone can't tell how much juice is left. and what is worse, it also changes with time. my one year old parrot batteries now quickly drop to 25% but can still fly several minutes at this level. previously, 25% indicated it's time to land as soon as possible.
if your battery holds most of the charge above 50% then it's great, this means it is a good quality battery. just set an audible alert at 50% and be sure to land in time.

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 25 May 2012, 22:04

I much prefer the Standard AR Drone 2.0 batteries, for their compactness, compared to other batteries, and the charger is nice and compact, no extra leads, and are a lighter battery.

To get the best flight characteristics, your better off with the standard battery. many are getting 1300 mAh batteries to gain 2 mins longer, you got to spend extra money on chargers, not worth it for the extra 2 mins.

I get 12 mins out of the stock battery and much better then my Blade 450 3D RC helicopter, which only gets 5 mins, which is pretty normal in the RC world.

So the Drone does better flight times than many RC Helis and planes, so am totally happy with the stock batteries, and so what if they cost more.

You want to run your drone longer, cheaper batteries may last longer, but are heavier, so alter the way your drone flies, causes more motor strain, longer flight times per charge mean more wear and tear on motors, more heat, all amount to a faster wearing Drone and due to weight, don't fly as fast, or quite as well as stock batteries.

The compactness of the stock batteries and charger are fantastic, love it over all the extra leads.

With my Blade 450 3D heli, have the Trungry battery charger, and what a mess, extra leads, and needs a power supply, far less hassle and far neater using the Drone AR 2.0 battery charger.

I could use 1300+ batteries now, just need the mini adapter plug, but the advantages of compactness and neatness of the new drone batteries and charger out weight it's disadvantages.

Also the new charger is great to put in a Drone carry case, not need to carry power supply or horrible extra leads.

I just wished my Blade 450 heli batteries came like the AR Drone 2 batteries and charger, which is a great design, hate all the messy leads and the need for separate power supplies.

We should all be commending Parrot for the great battery design and charger.

szuu
Strange wobble

Post by szuu » 26 May 2012, 00:26

denodan wrote:We should all be commending Parrot for the great battery design and charger.
i think the general opinion is that the original batteries are too heavy for their capacity (or too weak for the weight :)) (probably because of the extra plastic case)
but i must admit i like the idea of getting rid of the balancing cable in 2.0 - this part of the battery is not needed for flying so why should the drone waste its power carrying the cable - down with it! :)
(even though it makes the battery incompatible with normal chargers. but it only means someone has to make the adapter having the shape of the parrot charger)

CH33ZEBURG3R
Strange wobble

Post by CH33ZEBURG3R » 26 May 2012, 00:50

I personally think the Turnigy Nano Tech 1300 Lipo's are amazing Value for there money, at 103g and $10 and the longer flight time these are what I use now.

Doesn't make sense to me to pay $49.99 when I can get a top battery for $10 that gives the same performance.

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 26 May 2012, 01:40

CH33ZEBURG3R wrote:I personally think the Turnigy Nano Tech 1300 Lipo's are amazing Value for there money, at 103g and $10 and the longer flight time these are what I use now.

Doesn't make sense to me to pay $49.99 when I can get a top battery for $10 that gives the same performance.

I think it makes sense to use the standard batteries, you get rid of the stuiped Balance lead, making for a much better, compact battery. I get 12 mins of flight from a Standard battery, so cannot complain.

The compact battery design also means a nice compact battery charger, where no leads are needed, the whole thing just plugs in the wall, a very neat design from Parrot.

Also the batteries cost you more then $10 each as you most likely needed a Lipo battery charger, and power supply, and with Lipo chargers you get want you pay for?

want a decent one you got to pay good money for one.

The cheapest option for you, would have been to buy a AR Drone 1 balance charger, as this is how the Drone batteries charge, so the Drone 1 battery charger is all you need, if using Non Standard batteries.

Also the Drone is designed to fly best with the Standard batteries, any different weights will alter the way your Drone flys.

Also if you fly with longer flight times your wearing out your drone faster, due to extra heat generated, and extra wear due to longer flight times.

10 mins per flight is plenty? You guys should be into proper RC stuff, and if your getting 10 mins your doing well. 5-8 mins is the normal flight times here.

So 10 mins + from the standard battery is good, and over the 10 mins your doing better then most Good RC planes or Helicopters, god I am only getting 5 mins per flight on my Blade 450 3D helicopter, and this is perfectly normal flight times.

So I am not complaining about the Standard drone 2 battery, it's nice and compact and the charger is the most compact charger I have seen for Lipos, good on Parrot for the great compact battery and charger, so for me, makes sense to stick with the Standard battery, and has more advantages than disadvantages I think, the design itself makes it worth while.

deanes
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by deanes » 26 May 2012, 04:37

I use the FLYTown 2000mAh (25C) batteries for between 20-30 minutes of flying.
The battery meter seems to work fine, and I get a little longer time to shut down after a warning. Works great for me.
BTW, I need the balance plug for powering custom lights and the fpv wireless camera I am working on.

CyberNate
Ready for take off

Post by CyberNate » 29 May 2012, 07:36

deanes wrote:I use the FLYTown 2000mAh (25C) batteries for between 20-30 minutes of flying.
I have the flytown 2000mah battery as well. It certainly does not last anywhere near 30 minutes. It will last close to 20 minutes; however I don't like the extra weight. The 1300 (bastens) seems like the best compromise for performance and battery life at 14 minutes flight time.

groan
Up and hovering

Post by groan » 29 May 2012, 14:57

Hey Denodan do you get kickbacks from Parrot for every post you place trying to convince people to stick with the Parrot battery? :smile:

I'm sure there must be a dozen posts like these around here! I lol!

Dusty
Just flips over

Post by Dusty » 29 May 2012, 15:25

For what it's worth I agree with him completely. Parrot designed their batteries their way for a reason. I have 3 batteries and get 10 minutes + flight time per battery which is plenty for me in a session. I may buy another one or two later.

I couldn't be bothered with more batteries, another charger and the expense of it all for the sake of an extra 2 or 3 minutes in the air!!

groan
Up and hovering

Post by groan » 29 May 2012, 15:54

Dusty wrote:For what it's worth I agree with him completely. Parrot designed their batteries their way for a reason. I have 3 batteries and get 10 minutes + flight time per battery which is plenty for me in a session. I may buy another one or two later.

I couldn't be bothered with more batteries, another charger and the expense of it all for the sake of an extra 2 or 3 minutes in the air!!

I am mostly saying what i did as tongue-in-cheek, I'm just kidding, but for me the initial outlay in cost to get a better charger means that I have a choice. I can't afford to spend $40 each time i want a new battery.
The new charger gives me choice on what I want to get. If i feel like I have the ability to go out and buy a $100 battery that will change in under 10 minutes, great, I can. But I can also cheap-out and get the $10-$20 nano-tech that have been getting good reviews.
I can also experiment and see how the drone would perform with a heavier battery that has more flying time.

I have on order 3 nano techs. I purchased 2 drone batteries with my 2.0 and bought 2 1300's from my hobby shop when i got the charger.
With all these batteries I should be able to fly almost non-stop! Excessive? perhaps, but at least I was able to get all of these batteries for the price of 3 Parrot batteries.

That's my argument. it may not be yours but I like the options it opens up for me.

Dusty
Just flips over

Post by Dusty » 29 May 2012, 15:55

We are all entitled to our opinion!! No one is more right or wrong than the other :)

groan
Up and hovering

Post by groan » 29 May 2012, 17:50

Dusty wrote:We are all entitled to our opinion!! No one is more right or wrong than the other :)
:)
This, I can say, we can agree on.