Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
larry0071
Just flips over
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Post by larry0071 » 02 Jan 2014, 16:27

Garrock, do you take any non pay pal payments? I'm banned for life from paypal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jan 2014, 17:13

larry0071 wrote:... do you take any non pay pal payments?

I'm banned for life from paypal.
Credit Card, Cash, or Check

Curious... how do you get banned for life from Paypal ???
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

larry0071
Just flips over

Post by larry0071 » 02 Jan 2014, 17:37

garrock wrote:
larry0071 wrote:... do you take any non pay pal payments?

I'm banned for life from paypal.
Credit Card, Cash, or Check

Curious... how do you get banned for life from Paypal ???
I bought a buy it now Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on eBay, payed $700 to the dude by pay pal. I emailed him the next day asking if he was going to ship it soon, and he said that as soon as the funds clear into his account he would. I asked him again after the weekend and he said that I hadn't paid. I looked at my account and it said I paid and my checking account had the money removed last week. I emailed pay pal to ask wtf was going on, and they said that my account and funds has been frozen due to suspicion of fraud. I asked how long this would take and they said 1-4 weeks. I went to my bank and filed fraudulent charge forms against PayPal for stealing my $700. I didn't have my money nor did the man I paid. I food not give PayPal permission to take my money, and I was not allowing them a month to release my money that I work for. So..... My bank ripped my money out of the hands of PayPal and returned it to me.

Papal apparently gets very bent when you do this, so I've been banned from eBay and PayPal forever. They can burn for all I care. EBay and PayPal are the same company. That's why you don't see Amazon payments allowed at eBay. And Amazon is the smarter way to pay because they take no cut.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

baadabing
Ready for take off

Post by baadabing » 02 Jan 2014, 22:16

The Nvidia Shield uses 802.11n 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi, multiple antennas to increase speed, one limiting factor is the number of antennas on the other end. Does the AR Drone, or any amplifier mods use 2x2 MIMO?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 03 Jan 2014, 14:25

baadabing wrote:The Nvidia Shield uses 802.11n 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi, multiple antennas to increase speed, one limiting factor is the number of antennas on the other end.

Does the AR Drone, or any amplifier mods use 2x2 MIMO ?
With a ground based Control Device using multiple antennas that implements true MIMO technology and the AR Drone with one antenna, you should still gain extra RF link performance. (The AR Drone is SISO.)

With a MIMO based ground control device and a SISO based drone, you get:
  • SIMO: from the drone; to the ground control device
    MISO: from the ground control device; to the drone
Using a ground based MIMO device:
  • The weakest RF link is still the drones Video Downlink (SIMO). The Control Uplink (MISO) or even the drones NavData Downlink (SIMO) are not as much a factor as their message packets are repeated about 30 times a second. So, if a few get through you have control or navdata.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

=================

I have not seen a bi-directional WiFi Booster that utilized MIMO and combines it to a single SISO.
  • The biggest performance increase is an on-drone external antenna mod. It weighs a lot less and does not consume battery power as would a booster. The drones built in stock antenna is very directional; camera nose pointing away from you is the best signal. You'll need an external antenna mod with a booster anyway so if starting with one then the antenna is the choice.
NOTE: My Amped brand SR1000 WiFi Range Extender has dual antenna's and dual radios. Their tech support says you can operate from just one antenna input. However, field experience so far indicates there is a problem with that setup. It seems the drone disconnects more often when at a distance than if using two antennas on the Range Extender. (not 100% sure but is very suspicious. If that is actually the case then perhaps the range extender is trying to listen on its other radio and briefly drops the link on the one with the antenna... don't know.)
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

RemcoZ
Just flips over

Post by RemcoZ » 08 Jan 2014, 16:04

Hi Garrock i want to buy your kit but how long would shipping to the Netherlands take (do you even ship there) and what would the fee be?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 08 Jan 2014, 17:43

RemcoZ wrote:Hi Garrock i want to buy your kit but how long would shipping to the Netherlands take (do you even ship there) and what would the fee be?
Shipping fee via USPS is about $12 US Dollars.

You can order a new Main Board state side and have it drop-shipped to me.

Kyle at CentralUSDroneSales has the best price for Main Boards.
Kyle typically stocks pre-made Main Boards with the Wheel Antenna Mod.

You can order there or from me.

RemcoZ
Just flips over

Post by RemcoZ » 15 Jan 2014, 13:47

ordered it today :D sending over my main board is a bit too tricky and as my current main board is still function i don't fancy spending a truckload of cash on a new one. my soldering skills are A OK so i am confident i can do it myself. pictures in the tutorial could be a bit better though haha

nabisco
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Wheel Antenna Mod

Post by nabisco » 20 Mar 2014, 02:49

hey with the weather getting warm soon i was jumping back on board with my drone and want your mod. now is there a way i can run the antenna inside the hull so it dont get damaged?

next can i unhook the mod and just fly the stock way if i wanted?

how much will it cost me to build a range extender or do i even need one im just flying around the yard for now?

how quick can you get a board sent back if i have you do the install work

sorry you have way to many post on your thread to read it would take me a month to read the all lol, thanks man!

garrock
I've been hit!!

Re: Wheel Antenna Mod

Post by garrock » 25 Mar 2014, 20:16

nabisco wrote:... with the weather getting warm soon i was jumping back on board with my drone ...
You and everyone else. I have a few long distance flights planned when the weather breaks and violets bloom.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 15 Oct 2014, 19:28

re-posting to bump the topic.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 21 Jul 2015, 02:54

summer special pricing for WHEEL ANTENNA KIT

shop.DroneMod.com

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 14 Dec 2015, 02:25

*** HAPPY HOLIDAYS ***
The AR Drone Wheel Antenna Mod Kit is still selling world wide.
I thought it would fad away early last year as new drones entered the marketplace; but apparently the AR Drone is still selling.

I have vicariously relived my first AR Drone flight through hundreds of wheel antenna users.
THAT HAS BEEN THE REWARDING PART ABOUT IT.
So, I thank all of you for that experience.

Now my focus is on the DJI Phantom 3 Standard (and Phantom 2 Vision).
I created a 5.8ghz RC repeater device that allows the P3S and P2V+ to fly into and out of places that are impossible for other drones to access.

http://www.REDbirdRF.com

humortal
Newcomer

Post by humortal » 12 Feb 2016, 01:14

Hello.

I`m new here - I have one big or not problem.
I did the procedure - significant WiFi performance upgrade and then the WIFI signal are unstable.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDBlc6imJA
[/youtube]

when I get to fly the signal is full and it is empty again and again becomes full.

what can this happening? sometimes I lose the control of the drone. :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 20 Feb 2016, 10:28

humortal wrote:Hello.

I`m new here - I have one big or not problem.
I did the procedure - significant WiFi performance upgrade and then the WIFI signal are unstable.
The Mod Procedure you performed was not the Wheel Antenna Mod.