Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
garrock
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Post by garrock » 03 Sep 2013, 02:13

JarkAira wrote:Good mod but why do you remove the smd capacitor from the atheros rx leg?
It is a tiny Inductor.. not a capacitor. The tiny Inductor is part of the stock drones on-board Inverted F antenna design.

Also, there is only one "leg". Transmit and Receive are on the same RF trace-line. The Atheros WiFi Chip internally switches back and forth between transmit and receive mode.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 03 Sep 2013, 11:18

Purchased my wheel mod and the installation from Garrock just now!!!

Will be sending my AR.Drone out this afternoon. It says that it SHOULD get to him tomorrow (Wednesday) so hopefully he can get it sent back out Thursday, and then I should have it back on Saturday.

I decided to do it now instead of waiting because the wind isn't supposed to be anything less than about 15 MPH for the next few days...and although I can fly the AR.D down low in those types of conditions, I'd rather not fly it.

Instead, I will use this down time to take one of my trail trucks out to the trails and do some trailing!!!!

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 03 Sep 2013, 20:42

My AR.Drone 2.0 is now making the trip to Garrock's to have a new antenna installed!!! It should arrive at his place tomorrow, as I opted for the overnight shipping in hopes of getting it back as soon as possible!!!

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 03 Sep 2013, 21:04

I will make the mod and return ship it to you the same or next day. (most likely the same day)
Last edited by garrock on 04 Sep 2013, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 03 Sep 2013, 22:01

garrock wrote:I will make the mad and return ship it to you the same or next day. (most likely the same day)

Nice!!!

That means I should definitely have it back by my days off next week. Hopefully the wind won't be such an issue next week.

My AR.Drone is slowly becoming more and more capable.

WiFi repeater
Wheel Antenna
60Beat
GPS Flight Recorder

It's now to the point of having many of the same features that some of the less expensive "higher end" quads.

I've been really thinking about buying another quad to control with my DX6i, one that would be able to carry a GoPro and use a FatShark for FPV...but then, I think, my AR.Drone does pretty similar to that already, and I've already got it.

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 07 Sep 2013, 06:33

I got mine back today.

Quick testing yielded positive results, but it was dark so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

I had several instances where the signal dropped significantly all of the sudden, yet I maintained complete control. I also noticed that from one particular angle, the signal would drop as well.

I THINK that most of this was due to where I was flying. I was staying low, about 8 feet, directly over the pavement. Basically, I was flying down the road at 6-8 feet of altitude to make sure that I could track where the AR.Drone was going, as it was too dark for the camera to register what it was doing.

So, I'm thinking that the low altitude coupled with the fact that I was over the pavement in a neighborhood where just about every house has WiFi is what caused the couple of signal drops. That, and I'm not sure how good the WiFi antenna in the iPad Mini is.

Anyways, I had been able to record about 150 feet of range regularly with just the iPad Mini and the stock AR.Drone. Tonight I was able to get out to 125-175 paces with total control. I've measured my pace at 2.5 feet, so that means I was getting out to 400 feet with total control of the AR.Drone. I had enough control to spin, flip, and then land before marking off the paces to figure out how far I had gone.

So, with just the wheel mod, I more than doubled the range. Now I need to get it to the park so I can check the range when not worrying about the darkness, get it up a bit higher (no telephone lines), and then test it with my repeater.

The only thing that had me a bit concerned was those sudden signal drops, but like I said, I think it was a combination of the things above...and I still had control, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by ShellDude » 27 Sep 2013, 01:37

Leave it to me to be late to the party but I got back my modified mainboard from garrock today and plan to do the install tonight. The soldering work is top notch... far better than I could do myself.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 27 Sep 2013, 04:26

Here are a couple shots post mounting. I will very likely be getting the same service done on what was my "primary" mainboard. Initial test flights were very promising, easily out distancing a handful of "benchmark" locations I've used over the past couple years on my property as problem spots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tumich
Newcomer

Post by tumich » 28 Sep 2013, 19:17

Hello, i've bought ar.drone v2
I'm from Poland. What you prefer to impove range in built-up area. I would like get 500meters of range.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 02 Oct 2013, 01:03

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I did not take the time to read the entire thread.

Any plans to offer this upgrade for V1 drones? I have a V1 I'd be willing to turn over for testing.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Oct 2013, 01:26

nabisco
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by nabisco » 01 Jan 2014, 21:43

so would i just use free flight and STILL have my flip function? could a gps/ crash finder be used with this?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jan 2014, 01:56

If you have an Android Device then download a WiFi Analyzer App. Run the App and hold your device about six inches or so away from your chest and slowly rotate to identify the strongest signal direction. Then walk in that direction. Has worked every time for me.

======================

I've got a kick out of helping many over the last year fulfill their goals; which is really the Fantasy of Flight vicariously viewed through the drones video downlink.

It would be interesting to hear how things have worked out for everyone.

akecema
Battery Charged
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by akecema » 02 Jan 2014, 14:35

Hi Garrock,
I want to buy your kit but it seem your website is down

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Jan 2014, 16:00

akecema wrote:...it seem your website is down
Website is back up now. Thanks for reporting.