Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
dragonash
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Wheel Antenna Mod - significant WiFi performance upgrade

Post by dragonash » 04 Aug 2013, 19:58

garrock wrote:NOTICE:

The Wheel Antenna Mod Kit will be revised again towards the middle/end of August.

Finally, A PC Mount Male RP-SMA Connector of decent quaility is available. (Female versions are common but Male is not.)
  • * Male SP-SMA Connector - solders directly into the Wheel Antenna PCB
    * Mast Antenna Cable is Female RP-SMA Connector.
    * Antenna Mast will be two-piece carbon fiber tube with a small extension spring connecting them to allow over 90 degrees of flexibility. It should accomodate not removing the mast to store in a case.
An upgrade mast system will be offered to existing users for somewhere under $10 plus shipping (components listed above).

The revised mast system will add about 4 to 5 more grams.
However, the MMCX version will still be available; which is a lower weight and better aerodynamic solution.

This will also allow for quick in-the-field change out with other antenna types:
  • * Wheel Antenna - Horizontal RF Polarized (same as stock drone antenna)
    * Dipole Antennas - Vertical RF Polarized
    * Clover Leaf Antenna's - Mixed RF Polarity
All of the above are omni-directional; unlike the stock drone antenna.

---------------------------

If you want an Antenna Kit between now and then, I can send you the new replacement mast system when ready.
i guess i will wait for this to be official from the website?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 04 Aug 2013, 21:52

Your choice. You can wait or make the mod now and will send you the revised antenna mast later. Then you will have both type antenna mast setups. Easy to change out. Will not need to reopen the drone.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

dragonash
Chased the cat

Post by dragonash » 06 Aug 2013, 20:18

I sent an email via the form from your website, but I didnt get a reply yet. Seems like you are active here a lot, so I will post instead :)

My dullard mind is getting confused on what service I would choose. I would like my drone to be fitted with the mast antenna as shown in your youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp6gC8LrEtw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which items/services will i need to purchase from your online store and can I send in only the mainboard, or do I need to ship the whole drone?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 06 Aug 2013, 20:44

dragonash wrote:Which items/services will i need to purchase from your online store and can I send in only the mainboard, or do I need to ship the whole drone?
Sorry about that. Did you send the message on the main DroneMod site or shop.DroneMod ?

The following items are listed on shop.DroneMod.com :
  • Two Service Type Items:
    • Service - Main Board <--- send in your Main Board (or have a new Main Board one drop shipped)
      Service - Drone <--- send in your entire drone (if you don't have bearings then could add that too)
    Physical Goods Items:
    • Advanced Antenna Mod Kit <--- purchase this in addition to one of the above optional service items
      Bearings (optional if you send in your entire drone.)
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

dragonash
Chased the cat

Post by dragonash » 06 Aug 2013, 21:13

I used this
http://shop.dronemod.com/contactus.sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if i sent my main board and bought the advanced mast kit, you would put that together. Then all I would need to do is place the mainboard back in and screw on the plastic tube that points the antenna up (or whatever is used?)

The pictures of the items on your site dont seem to enlarge, so its difficult for me to see how the items connect.

edit:

after re-reading your how to
http://www.garrock.com/dronemod/docs/AMW-20130303.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I can handle that much ;p

Stone-D
Thinking of bearings

Post by Stone-D » 07 Aug 2013, 04:59

Here's how I decided to mount my wheel.

I'm gonna paint the wheel black with a marker when I remember to get one. :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 21 Aug 2013, 14:43

AR Drone Antenna Test
Wheel Antenna vs Stock Built-In Antenna

Test Results. CLICK: Drone Antenna Comparison Tests 2013-08-16

Using the same antenna mast on the drone, a 3dBi dipole would have performed similarly. Perhaps a dB difference.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 21 Aug 2013, 14:47

NOTICE:

The various components are in transit now. The revised Wheel Antenna Kit and an Upgrade Kit-Offer should be ready this coming Monday (August 26th).

CLICK: Read this notice

Sherm6178
Ready for take off

Post by Sherm6178 » 22 Aug 2013, 03:48

Are you still sending out the upgraded mast to those of us who bought after you announced? If not just let me know how much the difference would be. And does it replace the connector that is on the antenna? Not sure if I am just not pushing hard enough (feels like i am just shy of crushing it together) or what but compared to the rest of the connections it doesn't click nearly as much. Other then that this thing kicks a$&. Still haven't found the limits and I am approaching 700 ft with my nexus7 2nd gen. Would feel better if google would fix wifi issues on their end though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 22 Aug 2013, 18:58

Sherm6178 wrote:Are you still sending out the upgraded mast to those of us who bought after you announced?
I will be contacting you and others soon.

----------------

I got the stuff today !

Will be evaluating it today and tomorrow.

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 23 Aug 2013, 22:29

Here are pictures of the revised Wheel/Mast setup.
The Wheel now comes with a pre-installed RP-SMA Male/Plug.

The MMCX style Wheel/Mast is still available for lighter weight applications.

Stone-D
Thinking of bearings

Post by Stone-D » 24 Aug 2013, 05:01

Very nice, Garrock!

madhatter
Thinking of bearings

Post by madhatter » 25 Aug 2013, 10:16

Very neat...

JarkAira
Battery Charged

Post by JarkAira » 02 Sep 2013, 11:19

Good mod but why do you remove the smd capacitor from the atheros rx leg?

It has a reason to be there because every rf amplifier that uses shared power input has to have dc blocking capacitors at their input and output to isolate adjacent stages caused by amplifiers (in this case the chip itself) internal bias voltages that are in those connects. Tha capacitors value have to be matched to the resistance and lowest frequency too so you can't just add one randomly. 33pf works for 50Ohm and 2.4Ghz.

If you don't have capacitors at the input (atheros chip has one in the chip for the input) and output (the leg) you will have a signal which will fluctuate badly. This fluctuation might not show up on devices signal strength, but it can be detected by measurement device or software and also by weak performance in use (or not the optimum performance after a antenna mod as the change of antenna might lead to a situation where the signal strength is still better than original even with fluctuation but it would be much better if it would not fluctuate).

Good Datasheet link that explains the issue is here -> http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 3-TR1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That chip in itself is a very good way to boost the wifi signal instead of huge boosters applications that people often use. That thing weighs few grams with the capacitors and you can use your own connectors or solder it directly to antenna wire for even more weight reduction. Takes 5volt but small fixed 5v regulator does the job.

17Dbm amplification with few bucks and weighs less than 10grams sounds much better than 40 dollars 50gram device to me.

JarkAira
Battery Charged

Post by JarkAira » 02 Sep 2013, 11:36

Sorry about the wrong weight for that specific chip in the datasheet. That version in the datasheet is actually a smd chip which is smaller than the normal chip but the concept for the dc blocking with capacitor is the same of course.