Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Mr_Buggles
Ready for take off

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion

Post by Mr_Buggles » 30 Aug 2012, 14:39

stealthmatt wrote:I haven't tested range with the ar drone - but I have tested with various antennas (5dbi omni, 7dbi omni, 9dbi omniand, 13 dbi directional) connecting to various access points and I got to say its not as impressive as I would have hoped.

DBS used a 9dbi aerial whitch gives further horizontal distance but a shorter vertical distance - so I his results are on par for distance but I believe the sr10000 has a clear edge with its 600mw output compared to just 200mw/100mw

I am just extremely disappointed that for the cost and what it is suppose to be is lacking on all fronts.

I also have to say if the hawking can't make a connection or looses connection to the external wireless that it's trying to connect to it removes the crucial bridged mode (which the free rlight app needs for it to work) and reverts back to its own dhcp mode - which is dangerous for fly always etc

The pros of the hawking is it has a dedicated receiving radio but even that is just a normal consumer grade USB dongle... So it's all a lot of poo
For flip sake! I bloody hope it is not worse then then sr10000.. I was eagerly awaiting my hawk to arrive next week. Not anymore :(

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 30 Aug 2012, 14:59

hang in there bro... i been getting results at least as good as my sr10000 and the video feed is better... not as many dropped frames and such... i think we were just expecting so much more
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by MaxFlyer » 30 Aug 2012, 18:15

stealthmatt wrote:Maxflyer - do you have both the HAW2R1 and the EOR7550?

I would like some pretty pictures of yours too please :)
Here ya go, next to some assorted stuff (no HAW2R1 though) to give y'all an idea of relative proportions. DBS just let us know when we've crossed the line in polluting your thread, or maybe you will change your thread title to Amped vs Hawking vs EnGenius or something...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stealthmatt
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Post by stealthmatt » 31 Aug 2012, 02:20

wow thats some serious wireless gear - I like ur tripod too! where did u get it from lol?

Also i see u have one of those 3 little wire thingy that attaches to an existing antenna - does this work any better for the drone - do u have any before and after signals with that little wire thingy?

btw MaxFlyer - I bought one of these (better than the one I linked before) to convert lipo 11.1v to 48v for the wireless POE injector

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 535wt_1166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SP-61.jpg
Capturedc.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vanquish
Ready for take off

Post by vanquish » 31 Aug 2012, 09:08

stealthmatt wrote:I haven't tested range with the ar drone - but I have tested with various antennas (5dbi omni, 7dbi omni, 9dbi omniand, 13 dbi directional) connecting to various access points and I got to say its not as impressive as I would have hoped.

DBS used a 9dbi aerial whitch gives further horizontal distance but a shorter vertical distance - so I his results are on par for distance but I believe the sr10000 has a clear edge with its 600mw output compared to just 200mw/100mw

I am just extremely disappointed that for the cost and what it is suppose to be is lacking on all fronts.

I also have to say if the hawking can't make a connection or looses connection to the external wireless that it's trying to connect to it removes the crucial bridged mode (which the free rlight app needs for it to work) and reverts back to its own dhcp mode - which is dangerous for fly always etc

The pros of the hawking is it has a dedicated receiving radio but even that is just a normal consumer grade USB dongle... So it's all a lot of poo
Hmm, pity that the receiving radio is just a standard part, but that should still help receive the drone's weak signal as compared to the SR10000, no?

I'm most interested in whatever receiver does well in suburban environments where the drone is navigating around trees, fences and buildings.

Did anyone try out the multipolarised antennas and see how they compare to standard ones?

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 31 Aug 2012, 13:05

vanquish wrote:Did anyone try out the multipolarised antennas and see how they compare to standard ones?
Well I have two of them, with a third on-the-way, and afaik DBS will be getting his feet wet soon with these as well, but I've said before in this thread while MP antennas should perform better "in theory" than conventionally polarized ants, there's no way that I know of to confirm results other than anecdotally i.e. by flying. And I haven't done any flying yet with the MPs to be honest.

The website to look at:

http://www.mpantenna.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good place to buy I think (good prices, fast shipping for the 62" I bought from them anyway). Take care to look only at the 2.4GHz ants of course:

http://www.neobits.com/mp_antenna_m2630 ... C174E.jvm1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just FYI I was interested to see if the Trident ant might be ripped-apart and attached to the Drone's hinder some how, but it turns-out that its Radome is essential i.e. the ant's tentacles appear to be extraordinarily fragile and require the (heavy) plastic radome for protection. And it's more sophisticated than it looks, although someone more DIY than I am might decide to try to make one, with heavy wire akin to the circularly polarized ant we've seen on some of the mods.

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 31 Aug 2012, 13:13

stealthmatt wrote:wow thats some serious wireless gear - I like ur tripod too! where did u get it from lol?
Thanks but most of I just pulled-out of my junk drawer. ;) And the tripod is an ancient aluminum I've had for years & years--nothing special about it except it let me pull the head off'n it.
Also i see u have one of those 3 little wire thingy that attaches to an existing antenna - does this work any better for the drone - do u have any before and after signals with that little wire thingy?
Yeah that's mpantenna's MultiPolarizer, which in theory should gather & direct all polarities of RF into the ant to which it's attached. I just got it and haven't done any testing at all yet, sorry. That's the $20 gizmo atop the list of mpants from neobits (the link I just posted).
btw MaxFlyer - I bought one of these (better than the one I linked before) to convert lipo 11.1v to 48v for the wireless POE injector
Cool deal, nice find, but from Oz? Oh wait, Hong Kong. I've actually had good luck buying stuff from HK. I'll not do the lipo/48 thing though, I'm just gonna use my 120VAC inverter either with my vehicle or maybe I'll buy a 12v battery with a portable case or something.

BTW thx DBS for letting us camp here, and changing the thread title! :geek:

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 05 Sep 2012, 03:46

I'm having surprisingly good results from this trident antenna bro... one thing I noticed... the blue head inside the fishbowl was a little cocked off to one side and the whiskers were touching the plastic... like it had been dropped and bent the inside mount a little... so I flipped it to the high side and tapped it on my hand harder and harder till it was centered and all the whiskers were out in free air... now I have better results than earlier today... :D

Just thought I'd pass that along in case yours has similar issues

1EYE
Newcomer

Post by 1EYE » 19 Sep 2012, 07:28

Hello gents I have been following your results and seeing how I have no knowledge of repeaters other than what I'm learning here about then, overall I want to purchase one when you guys decide what set up works best. I want to thank you all for the work your doing so noobs like me can get a better understanding of all of this so thx again :P ....

tronage
Ready for take off

Post by tronage » 09 Oct 2012, 17:05

So has there been any further testing, or a more definitive verdict on whats the golden combo? I just picked up the sr10000 the ohter day, and got it configured last night to work with the drone (in my house) as weather is keeping the drone indoors. I stumbled across the original thread about the hawk, and was about to pack up my sr10000 and return it for the hw2r1. But then it seemed 1/2 way through this new thread maybe I should stick with the sr10000 and just get a new ants for it (speaking of just to confirm I need to replace the ants on the sr10000 in pairs, since it doesn't have a dedicated receive right?) like maybe a pair of 8dBi omnis to maybe see some of that "700 yard horizontal" goodness?

I was thinking of picking 2x of these up locally:
http://microcenter.com/product/361807/2 ... al_Antenna
for more horizontal flights, and sticking w/ the stock 5's for more vertical stuff

Also any verdict on the multipolarizer signal booster snap on thiggy? Gimmick, or does it actually work?

For reference I'm controlling with an iphone 5 (though I was impressed with DBS's modded nexus w/ the attached directional ant, but I think the repeater route is for me)
Pickup your Tronage.com Color Changing, Remote Control LED kit!

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/DJNlxK_VPaA

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 09 Oct 2012, 18:01

I would definitely stick with the SR10000... after all the testing and fighting with the Hawking it seems just not reliable enough to hang your $300 drone on.... the multipolarizer snap-on didn't make much difference in my experience... and I think you're right about doing your antennas in pairs because the SR10000 will always default to the antenna getting the best signal (so might as well use two good antennas at a little bit different orientation and give it the best chance right?)... the only way you're gonna see 700yards is with a very directional antenna and keep the drone flying within its beamwidth... it's not uncommon to see SR10000 results going past 1000ft in a good open area with minimum WiFi interference and stock antenna setup... I never did much antenna swapping with the SR but I bet with its rated receive sensitivity and the right antennas you could get some pretty spectacular results :D

tronage
Ready for take off

Post by tronage » 09 Oct 2012, 20:08

DroneBonerStallone wrote:I think you're right about doing your antennas in pairs because the SR10000 will always default to the antenna getting the best signal (so might as well use two good antennas at a little bit different orientation and give it the best chance right?)...
Tho if this is the case (and I know very little about wifi or antennas) maybe it makes sense to use one 8dBi, and one 5dBi. The theory that this would then cover both the near/high, and the far/low areas??? I thought it used the antennas together so they needed to be same, but if you can mix/match then is there any disadvantage?

I guess the disadvantage would be a 8dBi on there with a slight tilt would cover the far/high, but not near/high. Not so much a disadvantage, but just what you want to accomplish, and the flight conditions for that day. I guess I'll still pick up a pair, but as long as mixing the antennas won't damage anything, I'll experiment with what works.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 09 Oct 2012, 20:48

Won't damage anything as long as you have antennas hooked up when the power is on... running power with no antenna is a bad thing I've been told

tronage
Ready for take off

Post by tronage » 09 Oct 2012, 21:07

DroneBonerStallone wrote:Won't damage anything as long as you have antennas hooked up when the power is on... running power with no antenna is a bad thing I've been told
Yea I learned this from the sticker on my sr10000 covering the power port, and figured who am I to question them :lol:

Anyway one other question, what would be your opinion on this antenna:
http://microcenter.com/product/354509/H ... Fi_Antenna

The specs sound pretty good for a 12dBi, kinda looks like a directional, but it omni (360 deg in H plane), and has 30 deg in the V Plane, which drew my attention, doesn't that seem pretty wide for a 12dBi? most 5dBi antennas I look at have ~30 deg in the V-Plane, 9dBi's ~25deg, and other 12dBi's ~10-15 deg (and look like stick rather then panel like this one). Wondering if this is just marketing, or what.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 09 Oct 2012, 22:00

Amped shows all the same specs on their own site... and they don't have a rep for bull$hitting their specs... so i would say it's the real deal
http://www.ampedwireless.com/mobile/products/wa12.html