Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion

Postby MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 14:56

DroneBonerStallone wrote:so with this modular design ... is there stuff we can do to make this thing better??

IMO it boils-down to whether the Receive sensitivity for that radio is good or not--then you put a (better) antenna on the thing, maybe in conjunction with one of these (Hawking HSB2). I have one but dunno if it improves Sensitivity along with Output Power:

stealthmatt
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop

Postby stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 14:59

MaxFlyer wrote:So I dunno that the SR10000 is better than the HAW2R1 is better than the EOR7550 except in (perhaps) Receive sensitivity (not easily specced) and the type of antenna you connect to them. Well, I think the SR10000 has only 1 radio so it's at a disadvantage in that respect too if I'm right (this effectively halves thruput afaict)...

Yep you would be right - the HAW2R1 having a dedicated radio is better in that respect to the SR10000.

Anyway I've ordered the best MultiPolarized Omni I can find for my EOR7550, the 62" long, 2" diameter 08-ANT-0883 and will test to see if I can detect the Drone's signal better with it.

Do you need two aerials on yours? or you just testing with 1? Also whats the difference between this multipolarised one and the egenius 8dbi one? what does this one u linked to do better?

and your right N dosent matter - infact its worse for distance

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 15:21

stealthmatt wrote:Do you need two aerials on yours? or you just testing with 1? Also whats the difference between this multipolarised one and the egenius 8dbi one? what does this one u linked to do better?

The EnGenius has 2 external ant connections for Radio 1, but one is 2400GHz and the other is for if you're using 5000GHz so in this case it's left un-connected.

The "multipolarized" antennas from MPAntenna are based upon a proprietary/patented design of theirs which intends to reduce problems of receiving signals "out-of-polarity". I.e. normally you want antennas to be perfectly oriented one-to-the-other; if they are Horizontally polarized then orient them Horizontally etc. But reception problems can occur when RF signal polarity changes e.g. by simple reflectivity (in a home or office space) or by physically tilting a send/receive device (phone, handheld device, laptop/tablet, or of course the Ar.Drone in flight!).

Some folks have sworn by them, and I buy-in to the theory anyway particularly for our Drones which are tilting/turning constantly as we fly them around. The problem with Knowing these MP antennas are Better wrt our drones, is that I'm not sure how to guage that signal quality is better when the Drone is flying around.

But so far I've spent $175 bucks on MPAntennas alone so I think I'm in the "wishin' and hopin' and inclined-to-believe" category for sure! I have Faith but little else to-date! ;)

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Postby stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 15:30

nice, so do you have the hawking and this engenius? what made u go for this engenius? and what are you going to do with the hawking?

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 16:17

No I don't have the HAW2R1; I do have a Hawking booster, the HSB2 as mentioned.

I was about to get the Hawking when I did a search on "two radio repeaters" and decided I liked the EnGenius better for several reasons. Form factor; it mounts on a pole and is outdoor rated--if I tire of the Drone, or it doesn't work, I have another use for it here. It's strictly a Repeater; I didn't need or want the LAN connectors in the Hawking. Yes it's a business-class, commercial-grade product for whatever that's worth. 600mW output power vs. 200 for the Hawk. POE which will be valuable if I do mount it outside some day; for now it makes cabling a little easier.

I modified a camera tripod I had here and the EOR7550 slides over the top of it easily--I can fit different height poles to it i.e. I already have a 10ft extension if I need it.

The downside is that the POE uses a 48v supply, so if I use the EOR7550 out-of-reach of a power outlet, I need to use an inverter and vehicle battery to power it. It's also physically imposing/maybe 5x a conventional desktop router.

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Postby stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 22:28

MaxFlyer wrote:The downside is that the POE uses a 48v supply.....

Yep, and I found a solution (that was the only draw back really because I wanted to power it from my Lipo)

I found a step-up

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-24V-DC-D ... 1044512143

Don't worry that it says 12 to 24v - the specifications say it can output to 65VDC

Specifications:

Input: 3.5V - 40V DC
Output: 65V DC, 3A
Regulation range: 5V - 55V variable output
Internal oscillator: 52kHz
Board dimensions: 48 x 35mm (1.9 x 1.38")
Weight: 34g

So all you need to do is hook the lipo up on the input and set your multimeter on to the output and twist the little screw until you have 48 volts

Lol MaxFlyer you have talked me into it - I have ordered one I really like the radio even if it doesnt work just to use around the house etc :)

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 22:37

stealthmatt wrote:Lol MaxFlyer you have talked me into it - I have ordered one I really like the radio even if it doesnt work just to use around the house etc :)

Yikes, I didn't mean to do that!!! Not that I don't like mine!!! :lol:

Good now you can start the EnGenius thread as my energy's running a bit low these days! ;)

Hope you like it, it's a monster... :o

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Postby DBS » 29 Aug 2012, 23:37

Yo MaxF... can't pm you back because you have disabled the "Receive private messages" option
Very interested in the deal tho... enable the option or send me an email address if you're trying to avoid stalkers or whatever :lol:
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 23:46

DroneBonerStallone wrote:Yo MaxF... can't pm you back

Sorry, should be fixed now! :oops:

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Postby stealthmatt » 30 Aug 2012, 01:49

I picked up my EOR7550 for $100 from Amazon delivered - it was from a company that a client returned one as it was more than they requirde - so it has never been used and all orginal packaging! Saved $50 :D

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 30 Aug 2012, 02:21

stealthmatt wrote:I picked up my EOR7550 for $100 from Amazon delivered - it was from a company that a client returned one as it was more than they requirde - so it has never been used and all orginal packaging! Saved $50 :D

Wow that's what I'd call a Deal, congrats!

I took pics tonite and maybe will post tomorrow...

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Postby stealthmatt » 30 Aug 2012, 04:13

Hey maxflyer

Does the engenius aerial with the n connector connect directly on to the 7550? or do I need a cable?

vanquish
Ready for take off

Postby vanquish » 30 Aug 2012, 07:24

Wait a minute, so the Hawking doesn't get any better range with the drone than the SR10000?

What happened to the 700 yard range DBS was touting?

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Postby stealthmatt » 30 Aug 2012, 12:34

I haven't tested range with the ar drone - but I have tested with various antennas (5dbi omni, 7dbi omni, 9dbi omniand, 13 dbi directional) connecting to various access points and I got to say its not as impressive as I would have hoped.

DBS used a 9dbi aerial whitch gives further horizontal distance but a shorter vertical distance - so I his results are on par for distance but I believe the sr10000 has a clear edge with its 600mw output compared to just 200mw/100mw

I am just extremely disappointed that for the cost and what it is suppose to be is lacking on all fronts.

I also have to say if the hawking can't make a connection or looses connection to the external wireless that it's trying to connect to it removes the crucial bridged mode (which the free rlight app needs for it to work) and reverts back to its own dhcp mode - which is dangerous for fly always etc

The pros of the hawking is it has a dedicated receiving radio but even that is just a normal consumer grade USB dongle... So it's all a lot of bullshit

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Postby MaxFlyer » 30 Aug 2012, 13:00

stealthmatt wrote:Does the engenius aerial with the n connector connect directly on to the 7550? or do I need a cable?

The EnGenius EOR7550 external N connector is a Female, and most antennas are also Female including the EAG-2408 I have here, therefore I had to buy a Male-Male adapter to mate the two. Seems odd at first I suppose but the design expects an extension cable between the two, which will have male connectors iirc. So I bought a M-M and also bought a RP-SMA at the same time so I could try a "conventional" consumer antenna like the Alfa and the MPantenna Trident. Huge PIA to surf on and get right, so here ya go:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Mods - Custom Peripherals”