Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion

Post by DBS » 19 Aug 2012, 13:06

Weather is getting better but haven't had a chance to do any reasonable testing yet... frustrating as hell but it'll work itself out in he next few days I hope
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

stealthmatt
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by stealthmatt » 27 Aug 2012, 00:40

Guess what everyone....
picture.jpg
I couldn't hold out any more and have bought one from the lands of USA

Ill be doing some testing this coming weekend to see what this puppy can do :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by MaxFlyer » 27 Aug 2012, 01:03

Congrats!!! Look fwd to your results!

Still waiting on DBS--we await your vids from the eye of Hurricane Isaac! ;-)

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 27 Aug 2012, 02:14

I wish I had a lot more to say about this thing but the weather has been crappy since I got it a couple weeks ago... I have had the chance to use it a few times but not really push the limits at all... it works really well... it does everything the sr10000 can do and I noticed the video feed is better... but I don't know if it has better range at all... and I'm not so sure I care anymore... the damn thing will go across the street and all around the church parking lot to where I can barely see it anymore... and I'm not so interested in huge high altitude flights... so I've been using an 18dBi omnidirectional antenna oriented vertically that works just perfect for what I'm doing ... really like the setup better because I know which antenna is communicating with the drone and which antennas are communicating with my tablet so I can set them up accordingly...

Hope stealthmatt can do better than I've been doing with the testing... good luck bro... I think you're really gonna like this baby... just remember that 13dBi antenna is directional... it kinda sucks for coverage area

My portable little rigup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 27 Aug 2012, 03:26

DroneBonerStallone wrote:I noticed the video feed is better... but I don't know if it has better range at all... and I'm not so sure I care anymore... the damn thing will go across the street and all around the church parking lot to where I can barely see it anymore...
I'm right there with you--heck I can barely see the thing at 100yards--not sure how much distance I really *need* yet. But maybe w/higher signal we get better vid, and with that a comfort level with flying-by-feed vs strictly VFR as present!

Weather's been too windy here so I've done only static testing. Might buy another multi-polarized antenna for fun...

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 27 Aug 2012, 03:35

Did you receive that first one yet?? I'm still curious about how well it works

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 27 Aug 2012, 12:32

DroneBonerStallone wrote:Did you receive that first one yet?? I'm still curious about how well it works
Yeah I did some "static" testing only, i.e. placed my Drone on a tall box x00 feet away and took some readings on my EnGenius EOR7550 (connected to my netbook). Interestingly my el cheapo Alfa antenna, specced better than the EAG-2408 I also bought (an outdoor antenna, I guess I paid for the weatherproofing) performed a bit better.

What I could NOT tell of course is whether the Trident ant might be more reliable when the Drone is in flight. It turns out that MPAntenna makes a couple of very nice MP omnis, I might buy one of those. Anyway attached is what I logged fwiw, and yeah I was lazy (and it was windy) so I didn't place the Drone any further away on this day. The dBm readings suggest that I was a long way from reaching the limits of connectivity--I in fact was also able to connect directly with my iPad at 200ft though the sig strength was somewhere below -82dBm.

BTW I've been trying to understand what "Link Quality" means but am not there yet. Still, the EnGenius gives it to me so I write it down. Also, I should clarify that the readings are of the EnGenius' Radio1 connection to the Drone--I did at one point wander-away from my setup with my iPad (connected to Radio 2) and ran-out of room going at least as far in the other direction...

P.S. Chuck while you ride-out the storm, for your reading pleasure here's a link to the best site (and deals) I could find on the MP stuff. I'm itching to buy the 0883 for a $100 bucks--it would fit directly atop my tripod-mounting EOR7550. Says it's 2" in diameter, 62" tall, and multi-polarized; I'm very curious about it (and there's a 29" one like it there somewhere too). I have that very first gizmo on order (would fit atop my Alfa ant, and your omni too) but haven't rec'd it yet.

http://www.neobits.com/mp_antenna_m2630 ... 83D0B.jvm1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EnGenius:

Alfa:

Trident:

EDIT: Added ant pics.
Last edited by MaxFlyer on 27 Aug 2012, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 27 Aug 2012, 13:55

Nice work... I'm definitely paying attention to your results... I think I'll stick with my setup until you have an "oh wow" moment

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 27 Aug 2012, 15:58

DroneBonerStallone wrote:I think I'll stick with my setup until you have an "oh wow" moment
Of course--I ain't there yet for sure, but I'm thinking right now the easy "wow" might be this $20 gizmo atop the conventional (in my case Alfa) antenna, but I don't have it yet:

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Post by stealthmatt » 28 Aug 2012, 03:43

Lets see how the HAW2R1 looks under the hood....

Here is the High Gain Directional aerial.. To me it looks like it was going to have more components ie there is no led and there is mounting holes for another board
aerial1.JPG
aerial3.JPG
aerial4.JPG
Here is the inside of the HAW2R1
board1.JPG
board2.JPG
board3.JPG
board4.JPG
board5.JPG
board6.JPG
board7.JPG
The "dedicated wireless antenna" is actaully a USB wireless dongle with out the outside shell which is connected to a USB port on the main board. I can also see connectors on this dongle that looks like it could have a second antenna.

The chip on the USB dongle is a
Ralink RT3070L
P2Y3250P9

Chip on the mainboard is a
RT3052F
P2Y3150D0
1029ST

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Post by stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 00:26

Maxflyer - do you have both the HAW2R1 and the EOR7550?

I would like some pretty pictures of yours too please :) as I am not happy with how the HAW2R1 is built with a dongle and am contemplating trying your one a well

I have read the manual inside and out and noticed that it doesn't have n on both antennas - which anntenna do you use for receiving from the AR drone

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Post by stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 14:19

Ok I have done a bit more research and it appears that this HAW2R1 is a throw together of there other products

The wireless dedicated internet aerial on the HAW2R1 which turns out to be a usb dongle - appears to be the hawnu1 http://hawkingtech.com/products/wireles ... awnu1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the 13dbi aerial that comes with the HAW2R1 is based off the HAWNU2 http://hawkingtech.com/products/hawking ... AWNU2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (which is a USB powered aerial which also believe contains the same USB dongle hawnu1)

Now I can't for sure 100% say that the HW2R1 would have the same USB dongle but i am 95% confident it would

and to prove its just there consumer grade dongle I hooked it into my computer and installed the HAWNU2 and HAWNU1 software and drivers and they are both the same
IMG_2135.JPG
1.JPG
I actually feel pretty disappointed that this is really just another average consumer grade wireless dongle and I don't believe the receive sensitivity would be as comparable to the SR10000 or EOR7550

I think DBS you got your really good results from the guy when he used the 9dbi aerial which is why you got better distance, I rekon you would get better if you used 2 x 9dbi on the SR10000

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 29 Aug 2012, 14:36

damn... well this has taken an unpleasant turn... when i opened mine up i was disappointed because it seemed to be an unfinished version of a very good idea... but the results i was getting were good enough to warrant some more messing around before i got all upset about it...

so with this modular design ... is there stuff we can do to make this thing better??
guess it's time to go bug my neighbor again and see what he's got to say about the whole deal

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 29 Aug 2012, 14:46

stealthmatt wrote:I think DBS you got your really good results from the guy when he used the 9dbi aerial which is why you got better distance, I rekon you would get better if you used 2 x 9dbi on the SR10000
I wouldn't know about that myself, but I do believe you've placed too much importance on the "consumer grade dongle" in your HW2R1 (and no, I don't have that one). You have to remember that all our Repeaters are doing really is improving the performance of our Controllers, by taking-out of the equation their weak WiFi/antenna capabilities. The way they help with our little Drone transmitters is by giving us better Receiver/detectors and Receiver/antennas to try to pick-up that miserably weak Drone signal.

So I dunno that the SR10000 is better than the HAW2R1 is better than the EOR7550 except in (perhaps) Receive sensitivity (not easily specced) and the type of antenna you connect to them. Well, I think the SR10000 has only 1 radio so it's at a disadvantage in that respect too if I'm right (this effectively halves thruput afaict)...

Anyway I've ordered the best MultiPolarized Omni I can find for my EOR7550, the 62" long, 2" diameter 08-ANT-0883 and will test to see if I can detect the Drone's signal better with it.

Yes according to spec the EOR7550 doesn't do N on Radio 1 (the external antenna) and I'm not sure why, but it's a don't care with the Drone anyway. I will do something to satisfy your interest by starting a new thread but dunno when I can get round to it.

stealthmatt
Up and hovering

Post by stealthmatt » 29 Aug 2012, 14:51

I guess at the end of the day - if it works it doesn't really matter.....

I have done some testing with the HAW2R1 using wireless access points around my aerial from the 5dbi, 7dbi, 9dbi and the directional aerial I really don't think it has as much grunt as I would have hoped

Close to the city where I work there is tons of access points and a few free open ones with different distances. The signals my ipad picks work the same as when the HAW2R1 connects to them. But signals that are out of reach of the ipad (or appear then disappear).... the HAW2R1 sees a low signal and doesn't really connect - seems to fluctuate and drop - So I don't think it transmits as as well as it should.

Anyways I am keen to look at MaxFlyers higher grade one or I might just purchase a SR10000

Here is a internal pic I found on the net of the EOR7550
eor7550-internal.gif
eor7550-internal-top.gif