Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Post by DBS » 14 Aug 2012, 21:07

I'll start out with the two things that pissed me off then move on into my overall impression of this beautiful little repeater

1) it does NOT have an LED signal strength display as I understood it from the description... just a single LED that is solid on when signal is above 70% and slow blinking when signal goes below 30%... between 70 and 30 there's random flickering that goes on that makes no sense at all

2) the 13dBi directional antenna that comes with the unit is not power boosted as shown in their YouTube video... and it's a rather crappy antenna anyway... no big deal... directional antenna don't help me fly my drone anyway but my hope was to construct a boosted omnidirectional using their electronics and some hacking... whatever... I'm over it

Now onto better news...

Super easy setup... don't even have to go into that... clickety clickety done

Hooked up... connected... loaded AR.DroneFlight and flew in my living room just as a test... beautiful... no problems... no lag... no confusion with all the WiFi signals bouncing all over the room... all good

REALLY COOL SETTING... in the advanced settings menu it gives the option to turn down the tx on the broadcast radio without affecting the receivers separate function... you can turn it down to 10% power making it show up on my WiFi analyzer as way less than the drone signal... good deal... I like it... I ain't trying to broadcast to the whole damn neighborhood... just my own little bubble to stand in with my Nexus 7... I walk away 10meters and almost lose the signal... cool... I sit right next to the repeater antennas anyway so "perfect"

MY SETUP
I have the repeater sitting up on the roof of my pickup mounted vertically on a stand I made so I can see the display lights.... with an 18inch, 16dBi omnidirectional antenna sticking straight up out of the receiver jack on the rear of the unit... (this setup is for long range low level flight test)
The two 3dBi omni broadcast antenna are on 9ft extension cables with magnet mounts stretched to the rear of the truck bed and stuck in a steel toolbox that's open on one side directing the signal right towards where I'm sitting.. nice

RANGE
I dunno yet... I flew out about 100yards west and 250 yards north (that was really far)...
I tried a little bit of altitude... maybe 30 or 40ft... everything went rock solid and the weather turned on me and I had to stop... thunderstorms this afternoon so I'll have to try other antenna and such tomorrow and the following days I guess

Overall pretty happy with the results but really bummed about that LED status display bull$hit... I feel that was very misleading in their literature

Works with lipo battery no problem... same connector as the SR10000... everything fits
Works with auto cigarette lighter adapter no problem
Boots up fairly quick... nice bright status LED's (I don't like the ones on the SR... too dim)
Quick start guide very easy to follow and set up
Factory reset in case you bork something and wanna start over

I'm gonna do a walk away test tonight when I can see the status lights and displays real good... set it all up and walk away with the drone and see how far I get before I see blinking WiFi status... and have my wife watch the screen and see how far I get before "control link lost" warning shows up... I'll yap about this some more later
Last edited by DBS on 30 Aug 2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

DBS
I've been hit!!

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion

Post by DBS » 14 Aug 2012, 21:08

Reserved for pics and vids

This is the antenna they show you in the buy.com video ad

This is what you actually get... notice the connector

See the reflection from what appears to be an LED in the upper right corner... there's nothing in there... I took it apart... no electronics ... no LEDs... just a piece of clear plastic where the LED goes in the powered USB version of this same antenna

Here's some shots of my little rigup for potability... base unit sits up on the cab of my truck.... 3dBi antennas just clip on for transport and clip off to setup in the back of my truck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DBS on 15 Aug 2012, 15:31, edited 4 times in total.

stealthmatt
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by stealthmatt » 14 Aug 2012, 21:30

Wow - thanks DBS - the led lights is a bit of a disappointment but as long as the range is good that's what matters (would be nice though if it was how we expected it)

Did you use bridge mode in the wireless setup or their wasn't any need?

I know you mentioned in the past about the reconnection time but are u able to time it between the sr10000 and hawking? I think it's quiet critical it needs to reconnect back to the repeater fast

Also please test the range using the aerial from sr10000 I want to see if it fares any better

And man where are the pics - I'd love to see the dogey hi powered aerial that's not powered by the hawking - does it have a light on the aerial?

Thanks matey

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 14 Aug 2012, 21:56

Didn't use bridge mode... all auto settings... I'll do those tests you mentioned but it looks like we got rain goin on here tonight so I'm on hold for awhile...

Antenna pics posted above

vanquish
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by vanquish » 15 Aug 2012, 02:05

Great writeup, thanks for the info DBS and for being the guinea pig :P with the HAW2R1.

Can you do a range test with the low gain omnidirectional antennas, perhaps the SR10000's 5db omni so you can see compare the two repeaters with the same receiving antenna.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 15 Aug 2012, 03:00

Definetly on my to do list... we'll see how the weather is in the morning... still raining here now but yeah... whole bunch of stuff i need to try out... i'm trying not to lose my drone so a lot of this testing will be walking the drone out by hand with a helper monitoring the signal back at the repeater and tablet... so i dunno if i'm gonna be pushing any altitude limits... not really my interest anyway... i can already go up 125ft with no extender and that's plenty high for anything i wanna do ;)

vanquish
Ready for take off

Post by vanquish » 15 Aug 2012, 05:28

That's fine, i'm not too interested in altitude either, much more interested in range over the ground. The dreams is to be able to fly around my block.
REALLY COOL SETTING... in the advanced settings menu it gives the option to turn down the tx on the broadcast radio without affecting the receivers separate function... you can turn it down to 10% power making it show up on my WiFi analyzer as way less than the drone signal... good deal... I like it... I ain't trying to broadcast to the whole damn neighborhood... just my own little bubble to stand in with my Nexus 7... I walk away 10meters and almost lose the signal... cool... I sit right next to the repeater antennas anyway so "perfect"
With this, doesnt the broadcast power affect the link back to the drone? Or does it use a separate antenna to transmit back to the drone and another antenna to broadcast the drone's repeated signal?

Mr_Buggles
Ready for take off

Post by Mr_Buggles » 15 Aug 2012, 07:27

Great, thank you very much DBS I went with the Hawking HW2R1 model as I'm happy with the standard 3dBi antenna to use for high attitude flying (which I gathered from what you explained in a previous thread.)

stealthmatt, the cheapest method I found for buying the HW2R1 for an Aussie was to use PriceUSA to buy it off Amazon which cost me $137AUD in total.
Last edited by Mr_Buggles on 15 Aug 2012, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

vanquish
Ready for take off

Post by vanquish » 15 Aug 2012, 07:33

I thought the advantage of the HAW2R1 is that the chipset is able to amplify the signal from the receiver antenna unlike the HW2R1.

Mr_Buggles
Ready for take off

Post by Mr_Buggles » 15 Aug 2012, 08:25

The HW2R1 is still regarded as one of the best repeaters excluding the HAW2R1. It was not worth it for me buying a 3dBi or 5dBi antenna to replace the 13dBi antenna on the HAW2R1 for what I wanted. More expensive model and antenna would cost another $60+... might need money for a new nav board anyway due to this problem

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 15 Aug 2012, 11:20

vanquish wrote:With this, doesnt the broadcast power affect the link back to the drone? Or does it use a separate antenna to transmit back to the drone and another antenna to broadcast the drone's repeated signal?
Good call... never thought of it that way... but looking at the test setup diagrams I never thought the broadcast power has anything to do with communicating to the source device... will keep that in mind when testing and use it if needed

MaxFlyer
Made it over nextdoor

Post by MaxFlyer » 15 Aug 2012, 13:16

As I read the user guide, the TX Power setting does indeed apply only to the "Home Wireless" or local aspect of the HAW2R1. I might've guessed there was a similar setting for the "Wireless Internet Connection" radio but if there is, I can't find it.

In any case I think you had it right the first time DBS, that the TX Power applies only to the local wireless comm and not the Internet (Drone) radio signal. AFAICT you're free to turn it down if you want, as it appears the Drone radio always broadcasts/receives at full power.

Also DBS as I look at the manual, it shows that the "Home Wireless" radio appears to default to Channel 1. If however your Internet radio, connecting to the Drone, is at Channel 1 (which is I believe its default) then you'll want to set your Home/Nexus channel to 11, as far away as possible, to minimize the possibility of RF interference.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 15 Aug 2012, 13:22

Roger that... since I can't fly this morning I'm goofin around with all that stuff now

stealthmatt
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by stealthmatt » 15 Aug 2012, 13:44

DBS can I ask you how much did you pay for your haw2r1? And where did you source it from?

Have you taken the repeater apart and got any pictures of the chips inside the repeater? So maybe we can see if their is any more info on what it uses?

Can u take a picture with what it looks like with those flashing indicator lights ? It looks like their is 2 rows of led ? I thought the bottom row would have been a signal strength indicator?

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 15 Aug 2012, 13:56

Gotcha... I'll take pictures... I had it apart to see what was going on with that bottom row of LED's and there's nothing in there... all the clear plastic lenses are there on the case but no corresponding LED's inside on the board... and no sockets on the board to solder in LED's as if it were in another model... weird... looks as if they had an idea of how this was gonna be and the internals never got built out that way.... even the PC boards look like an afterthought... screw holes that don't line up and others that do with no screws in them... odd...

Yeah... I'll take some pics