Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
tronage
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Hawking HAW2R1 discussion... with others for comparison

Post by tronage » 17 Oct 2012, 01:22

So I had my first real test-flight using the SR10000, 1x stock 5dBi and 1x 12dBi test. And I was impressed sofar! I had the 12 dBi laying sideways and the 5dbi upright to give me a kinda "+" shaped field. And I had the drone at 120' up (according to Drone Control nav-data), and 382' out (according to Google distance measuring tool). Which using some geometry would make the distance from repeater to drone 400'. The "fun" part was that I didn't intend this test, the wind did, and what was impressive was when the wind started to sweep the drone away, I went running after it, so I could keep eye contact with it. I ran out to about 236' away from the repeater. so not only was it pulling in the drone signal, but my iphone signal as well and working both like a champ!

However some unusual behavior I've noticed. It is my understanding that the signal strength indicator (using drone control or free flight) represents phone to repeater (and not to drone). Yet I can be standing next to the repeater, or just 5'-10' away from it and my signal will drop to nothing, flash the control link error message, then a second later back up to full signal and control resumes. Any ideas on this, or what may be going on?
Pickup your Tronage.com Color Changing, Remote Control LED kit!

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/DJNlxK_VPaA

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 17 Oct 2012, 03:26

That's usually polarity... when you get your phone too close to the repeater it becomes very sensitive to polarity... instead of a "stronger/weaker" signal deal, it becomes an "all or nuthin" situation... so if you stand too close to the repeater you will either have a great signal or lose it all together... you're best off standing out away from your repeater 20 or 30 ft
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

tronage
Ready for take off

Post by tronage » 17 Oct 2012, 05:36

Awesome info, I'll give that a shot on my next flight, and see how things go... Actually that gives me an idea (capt. obvious moment coming up!). Rather then standing near the repeater, and flying away from me, I could put repeater in center of area, and now I've just doubled the range from "me" (still same range to repeater). That would hopefully fix my polarity issue that may be the culprit, as well give me more "play room" Now if only Li-Ion pack I ordered to power the repeater would get here, I could test this out somewhere w/o being tethered to an extension cord from my garage :P (Too many things ordered, and not enough of them showing up!)

Thanks for the tip, I pray it works!

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 17 Oct 2012, 13:04

One thing to watch out for.... if you set the repeater out in the fly area... and you fly the drone too close to your self... your iPhone/iPad may try to jump to the drones native WiFi signal because it's getting stronger than the repeater signal

Go to WiFi settings and click on the original drone WiFi address and choose "forget" to avoid this problem... you can always add it back later if you wanna fly without the repeater

tronage
Ready for take off

Post by tronage » 17 Oct 2012, 15:45

Very good point, I'll be sure to do that! Thanks!

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 11 Nov 2015, 21:07

I still have that damn Hawking somewhere :ugeek: