TP-link TL-WA830RE test >200m range

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
ARdevil
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: TP-link TL-WA830RE test >200m range

Post by ARdevil » 09 May 2014, 04:35

Thanks garrock.

so far...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ARdevil
Ready for take off

Post by ARdevil » 09 May 2014, 04:38

TP-Link setup either with the extender switch or manually works the same.. I have a second SSID from the extender on the same ch as the drone (only stronger by about 6db)... I am wondering if the TP-link has an issue !?

I observed that when stationary, equidistant from AR Drone and extender, approx. 20M away from both with wifi analyzer on tablet.. Signal from drone fluctuates up-down 5 db around -70, TP-Link moves same amount around -60. Both vary quite wildly, as drone signal decreases, TP-link signal increases, sometimes hitting -50. As one goes up, the other goes down. Sometimes both plunge together to -75 then raise again... with the direct drone signal sometimes stronger than the extender... this is nuts.. Is this typical for wifi to vary this much?

I am downloading AR FLIGHT PRO.. this way I can get accurate signal strength / qual. readings and I'll pace off the distance again...may give some further clues :)

ARdevil
Ready for take off

Post by ARdevil » 15 May 2014, 10:25

Figures.. I show up and the board goes quiet. Everyone must be sick of their new toy ;-)

Anyhoo, fixed my issue and the extender is working well now. Range is as far as I feel I want to fly the thing. Next is a Mobius :-)

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 15 May 2014, 15:33

The forum went quiet like this last spring too.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 15 May 2014, 15:47

I often wonder the same thing. I'm still out here but I have no clue what's going on with your tp-link. Mine does the same thing as yours. What did you do to fix it?

ARdevil
Ready for take off

Post by ARdevil » 17 May 2014, 03:25

Hi Feranix. Well, I did a bunch of stuff... I mounted my TP link on a tripod with 2 different 5db antennas from another router and powered it with a battery pack. Placed a 7db stripped down antenna on the drone (replaced the bulky outer plastic cover with a bic pen tube for weight - saved me 12g. Stopped worrying about signal variations and went to a large field and flew the thing as far as I dared. Probably got to 150+ meters and the signal was still good and video solid so I could probably have gone further. Looking around the house, there are several gadgets (digital tv sender and cordless phone) working on 2.4ghz so even though these don't show on the wifi analyzer, they were likely interfering. I figure it was a combination of things so I cant say I pinpointed the issue but it's working well now so I'm going to leave it be and just enjoy flying the thing.
There have been so many times I wondered if I bought the right quad... I was considering the phantom for such a long time but I wanted something to tinker with and to challenge my problem solving side, as well as something small and light that I can get away with looking like I am flying a "toy" (although I am quite rural my city council in their infinite wisdom has a ban on model airplanes and kites). The AR is quiet and fairly inconspicuous and if it did crash it is soft and light enough not to cause any real damage to anything.
With the outdoor hull, antenna and 1300ma battery I'm just shy of 400g so I figure a stripped down Mobius camera with the lens mounted on the angled slope of the hull just back of the front rotors should finish off this beast nicely. I will probably remove the USB plug and wiring from atop the battery as the front cam will only be for FPV ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 17 May 2014, 07:34

Nice work. do you know if cellular modem combination routers antennas will work on my drone to be able to do what you did to yours? I think I need to fork out the cash to get some better antennas if my standard tp-link antennas are the problem.here is a picture of my new lightweight improved ziptie foot.
I used two on each foot and both combined still weighs far less than the large zip ties that I have used in the past. I had to do this because I broke my left front foot too many times to do the regular zip tie mod.you can only JB weld something so many times. Lol

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 17 May 2014, 07:36

add a dab of hot glue at each non sensitive connecting point.this will add multiple points of shock absorption

ARdevil
Ready for take off

Post by ARdevil » 17 May 2014, 08:26

Looks good.. mine is more of a 'ying yang' tie with a single cable tie per leg with a couple of tiny ties to hold things together as in the photo. Figured the twin bends would add springiness. The antennas I ended up using I got from fasttech dot com for like $3 each but I am sure you can get them from ebay at similar cost. Not sure about combination ones, wifi ones are so cheap anyway. Seem to work well although I can't blame the TP-Link ones yet without further tests.

Taddeo
Ready for take off

Post by Taddeo » 22 May 2014, 18:11

Newbie here. Just got my AR 2 last night. With the stock drone and iphone, I was losing video within 20m or so. Disappointing. I have an old tripod, and I can find a TP-Link style router cheap enough. What exactly do I need for the power supply? Is there a guide for converting the extender to run form a lipo?

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 22 May 2014, 19:08

Scroll back to the begining of this post... daza talks about his....I use variable Voltage power pack....I am able to use it at nine volts for my TP Link. Mine is the 9 Volt version not the 12 v....

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 22 May 2014, 19:18

Here is mine....

ARdevil
Ready for take off

Post by ARdevil » 23 May 2014, 08:58

I use this one... it has both 12v and 9v output. Bought on eBay for about $35 complete. I have had it power my extender for over an hour with still plenty in reserve. (You need an extender function, not just a router)

Taddeo
Ready for take off

Post by Taddeo » 23 May 2014, 14:49

So essentially I just need this:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA830R ... i+extender

A spare 11.v 3s like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-B ... ZX32MYRPC0

And a radioshack cable to go form the lipo to the TP-link center plug input?

Feranix
Ready for take off

Post by Feranix » 23 May 2014, 17:20

probably. I work at RadioShack and that's where I got my end for my power pack. They have a few different types and if you hurry, they have a brand called Enercell that will be outmoded soon they will be changing this with a different product lineup and it may change drastically