TP-link TL-WA830RE test >200m range

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
andrew1979
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: TP-link TL-WA830RE test >200m range

Post by andrew1979 » 27 Feb 2013, 14:59

Hello everybody. Sorry for my english, i'm italian.

I have a drone 2.0 and iphone 4s or ipad mini.

I bought the TP-link TL-WA830RE v1 and i try to follow the instruction in page 1 to set as access point but it doesn't work.

The tp link don't see the drone in access point configuration.

Setting the tp link in repeeter (putting the mac address of the wifi network of the drone), the iphone 4s can see the drone correctly.

But there is a problem: the wifi signal often falls and the range wifi is very weak (about 40 meters).

The tp link is ok (i tried with 2 different) and i try with iphone 4s and ipad mini.

Thanks to the guru forum for the help.

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 07 Mar 2013, 23:32

Picked up this one today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181048548618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its the new one so its 9V-0.6A. Any suggestions for a small power supply?

Will be testing it out soon.

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 08 Mar 2013, 22:29

So turned out they shipped me an old one instead.

I believe it's a 12V power supply. I'm not good with this type of stuff but is there some adapter I can get to power it from a drone lipo or something portable?

My initial tests are probably going to by plugged into the car power and placed on the roof of the ca"

marcus621000
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by marcus621000 » 09 Mar 2013, 03:15

If you read throught this thread i have suggested what battery you can run with no plugs or adaptors to buy.

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 09 Mar 2013, 10:53

marcus621000 wrote:If you read throught this thread i have suggested what battery you can run with no plugs or adaptors to buy.
I did see that post but can you provide a direct link on eBay. A search turned up a bunch of large UPS type power supplies and small ones for USB/iPhones.

Thanks in advance.

Salival
Ready for take off

Post by Salival » 09 Mar 2013, 11:12

Salival wrote:
marcus621000 wrote:If you read throught this thread i have suggested what battery you can run with no plugs or adaptors to buy.
I did see that post but can you provide a direct link on eBay. A search turned up a bunch of large UPS type power supplies and small ones for USB/iPhones.

Thanks in advance.
I assume this is it: "High-Power New DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery Pack".

Melmanc
Spying is fun

Post by Melmanc » 09 Mar 2013, 11:17

http://bit.ly/UqWeJV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcus621000
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by marcus621000 » 10 Mar 2013, 10:36

thats the one.

lgarcez
Ready for take off

Post by lgarcez » 10 Mar 2013, 16:00

I have the same problema as Andrew. My extender works, but the range is the same 40-80m. I just bought two 22 dbis antenas and the range didn't change . If i cut the extender power the drone loses the link and the return with the ipad, so i am sure it is working.

I think the problem should be configuring. Daza, please answer if you are using the set up as acces point (like In hour post), or as extender. Like someone tryed to correct.

Andrew do you solved your problema?

Gt Drone, the range changed with your new antenas?

Please guys, help me. The 40-80 m range is killing me..

Melmanc
Spying is fun

Post by Melmanc » 10 Mar 2013, 16:21

lgarcez wrote:I have the same problema as Andrew. My extender works, but the range is the same 40-80m. I just bought two 22 dbis antenas and the range didn't change . If i cut the extender power the drone loses the link and the return with the ipad, so i am sure it is working.

I think the problem should be configuring. Daza, please answer if you are using the set up as acces point (like In hour post), or as extender. Like someone tryed to correct.

Andrew do you solved your problema?

Gt Drone, the range changed with your new antenas?

Please guys, help me. The 40-80 m range is killing me..
Where are you getting this range? In a built up area with lots of wifi interference?

I can get over 600 metres in one area but no more than 100m in another area.

lgarcez
Ready for take off

Post by lgarcez » 11 Mar 2013, 13:14

Yes, In a built up are. City center of Salvador In Brasil. Maybe that was the problem... I will try In the field (rural zone) this week.

But something was strange In my test. I could see the range bars going down when i Lost the video at less than 100 m. But I tested and the ipad still conected to the range, not directly to the drone. And the Ipad Never had a link at more than 50m.

Melmanc, I saw your video. Congratulations, man. You did 600m without modify the drone. I want this too.

Melmanc
Spying is fun

Post by Melmanc » 11 Mar 2013, 14:54

lgarcez wrote:Yes, In a built up are. City center of Salvador In Brasil. Maybe that was the problem... I will try In the field (rural zone) this week.

But something was strange In my test. I could see the range bars going down when i Lost the video at less than 100 m. But I tested and the ipad still conected to the range, not directly to the drone. And the Ipad Never had a link at more than 50m.

Melmanc, I saw your video. Congratulations, man. You did 600m without modify the drone. I want this too.
Even though you dont get the signal srength from your device to the drone, just the signal from your device to the extender my signal strength sometimes fluctuates even when im standing right next to the extender. I never really bother with the signal indicator, seems to random.

I would say its pretty much dependent on your flying environment.

andrew1979
Newcomer

Post by andrew1979 » 12 Mar 2013, 09:31

I always fly in rural area where aren't other wifi. The wifi signal cut random even when im standing right next to the extender.

The problem is the same melmanc.

I tried with two different tp link wa830re and the problem didn't solve...

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 12 Mar 2013, 10:27

Sorry guys. Here now.

It should be set up as an extender from memory, I'd have to power it up and log in with my laptop to check settings.

Will get back to you guys tho.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 12 Mar 2013, 11:16

Ok I checked my extender settings just to be sure. It's been awhile since I used it or messed with it, set and forget these days :)

It MUST be in extender mode, in AP mode it's acting as an access point which requires the clients to connect to it. In extender mode it's intentionally extending the signal of a particular AP (in this case the drone) and you have to tell it which AP you want to extend as well.

So you must know the MAC address of the drone to configure the extender. You can find this out by connecting to your drone and looking at the advanced WiFi settings of your connection and it should tell you the MAC address of the drone when connected. This is case sensitive so take note of it carefully!

Go to the wireless settings page and input your drone's MAC address including the dashes here, be careful of upper/lower case here. Also set your region here as well.

Then in wireless security make sure security is turned OFF (the drone uses an open adhoc network)

Then under wireless advanced settings ensure your power setting is set to HIGH!

Then save your settings in the AP and your ready to go.

To use turn OFF wireless on your control device (phone or tablet), turn on the drone first, let it boot then turn on the extender and let it boot also. Once the extender shows the range extender light as lit it is connected to your drone.

Turn on your control device's wireless and connect it as you normally would to your drone, start your app and you should be connected to the drone. You can confirm the extender is working by the wireless and range extender lights will be flashing madly indicating it is processing the video and control traffic to/from your drone.