Wifi Repeater to boost the range

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
mikedenney
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Wifi Repeater to boost the range

Post by mikedenney » 01 Oct 2013, 21:50

I just put $70 down on a 2.0 at my local hobby shop. I build HTPCs and am getting into R/C a little.
About 2 years ago I tried my hand at flashing a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt, and have only bricked one since (it was already highly questionable).
Right now I'm using one in my house as a wireless bridge, using the exact same SSID as I'm repeating (it works great, BTW).
I have one 12V DC rechargeable battery case already, and might look into buying or making more, but I have 2 or 3 ground-fault outlets around my 4 acre property on telephone poles, which I wanna try out as AC power for another idea I wanna see if will work:
anybody tried using dd-wrt to make some updated WRT54Gs, then cloning their MAC IDs to see if they can place them around a much larger area, and basically extend their range without conflict, in the 'acreage' range?
You can clone your MAC ID either from within the dd-wrt config UI; I'm pretty sure you can do it during the 'TFTP' part of the procedure of flashing a router with dd-wrt.
One more thing that looks possible is to use WDS to link all your extenders in this type of network, as long as they all have the same chipset manufacturer!
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WD ... er_network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wondering--I'm interested in success stories and positive advice, not nay-sayers (I'm bad enough at second-guessing myself, as it is!).
BTW, I'm in the U.S. so I'm guessing that's why my WRT54G takes a 12V power supply instead of the 5V so many are listing here.
I've even installed a working fan or two on previous WRT54Gs internally, but due to the power supply being so closely matched, never got one larger than an American nickel to work (surprising, since laptop fans are such 'low-draw').
To cool 'my babies', I discovered you could buy these little Raspberry Pi heatsinks and stick them directly on the Broadcom chip in these Linksys routers--they work really well. Here's a link to them on Amazon.com (I bought a 5-pack of Aluminum ones for under $5, shipped!).
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... 20heatsink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm at the point of looking around in various hardware shops for some waterproof electronic boxes in which to stick the routers, and possibly some alternative antenna mods that might fit in (or out!) of any waterproofing I find...
Last edited by mikedenney on 01 Oct 2013, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

mikedenney
Newcomer

Post by mikedenney » 01 Oct 2013, 21:52

groan wrote:OK, found a way to differentiate between the signals.
On my Android tablet I use WiFi Analyzer. The repeater has the MAC address on it and I can identify it as you can see in the attached image.
The stronger signal is the repeater.
YAY!

I may eventually get the Amped sr300 but this will do nicely for now.

Good call! This is exactly what I've been using to differentiate my cloned SSID's ever since I started trying out various repeater/extender setups at my house! You can set the 'refresh rate' on this little app as close as you need to walk around your yard (or other larger area) to test signal strengths in 'real-time'!

dragonash
Chased the cat

Post by dragonash » 02 Oct 2013, 18:41

mikedenney wrote:I just put $70 down on a 2.0 at my local hobby shop. I build HTPCs and am getting into R/C a little.
About 2 years ago I tried my hand at flashing a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt, and have only bricked one since (it was already highly questionable).
Right now I'm using one in my house as a wireless bridge, using the exact same SSID as I'm repeating (it works great, BTW).
I have one 12V DC rechargeable battery case already, and might look into buying or making more, but I have 2 or 3 ground-fault outlets around my 4 acre property on telephone poles, which I wanna try out as AC power for another idea I wanna see if will work:
anybody tried using dd-wrt to make some updated WRT54Gs, then cloning their MAC IDs to see if they can place them around a much larger area, and basically extend their range without conflict, in the 'acreage' range?
You can clone your MAC ID either from within the dd-wrt config UI; I'm pretty sure you can do it during the 'TFTP' part of the procedure of flashing a router with dd-wrt.
One more thing that looks possible is to use WDS to link all your extenders in this type of network, as long as they all have the same chipset manufacturer!
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WD ... er_network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wondering--I'm interested in success stories and positive advice, not nay-sayers (I'm bad enough at second-guessing myself, as it is!).
BTW, I'm in the U.S. so I'm guessing that's why my WRT54G takes a 12V power supply instead of the 5V so many are listing here.
I've even installed a working fan or two on previous WRT54Gs internally, but due to the power supply being so closely matched, never got one larger than an American nickel to work (surprising, since laptop fans are such 'low-draw').
To cool 'my babies', I discovered you could buy these little Raspberry Pi heatsinks and stick them directly on the Broadcom chip in these Linksys routers--they work really well. Here's a link to them on Amazon.com (I bought a 5-pack of Aluminum ones for under $5, shipped!).
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... 20heatsink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm at the point of looking around in various hardware shops for some waterproof electronic boxes in which to stick the routers, and possibly some alternative antenna mods that might fit in (or out!) of any waterproofing I find...
Im already using the wrt54g ddwrt setup with my drone. (external battery as well)

In repeater mode, it works great for the drone and you can rename the repeater anything you want so yu can tell the difference between the 2 signals.
If you have other repeaters/extenders, I think you can link them together in the middle of the field sans cloning.

Just have extenders laying around a huge field and you will get massive range...at least it sounds legit

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 02 Oct 2013, 19:37

dragonash wrote:If you have other repeaters/extenders, I think you can link them together in the middle of the field sans cloning.

Just have extenders laying around a huge field and you will get massive range...at least it sounds legit
Yes.. sounds good.

The concern would be if the drone drops its link to the Control Device when switching between repeaters.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

krfanning
Ready for take off

Re: Re: Wifi Repeater to boost the range

Post by krfanning » 26 Sep 2015, 11:53

groan wrote:
rcpilot wrote:Hmm you might have a problem then.

My Linksys uses a different SSID so I know I am connected to the router and not the drone.

In the wifi repeater section you input the router's SSID (the drones) which is different to the actual repeater.
groan wrote:Well as a test I purchased this repeater
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=042798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I set it up very easily.
You turn on the wifi on the drone
Turn on the extender and plug it into your computer
Go to the network address for the repeater
Scan for the ssid.
Connect

It will clone your connection.

When it is active you connect to a network with the same ssid as your drone.

My question is, ow do you know if you are connecting to the extender or to the drone?

I searched the instruction manuals of a few repeaters and could not find any that allow you to have a different ssid than the one that is being repeated.
Does the sr10000 or 300 allow this? Perhaps you can do it because you are using a converted router.

At any rate, according to my tests I am connecting to the extender. I've just got no way to be sure.
I was hoping that I could set encryption on the repeater which would then show me two ssids. One with encryption and one without. I set this up but it did not work because it is trying to pass that encryption on to the drone connection, which it does not have.
I've emailed the company to see if there is a way around it.
You can't change the SSID on the extender...I have the same extender. It has to clone the SSID in order to "repeat" the communication between the control device, and the drone.
One day I will own a REAL drone...

krfanning
Ready for take off

Post by krfanning » 27 Sep 2015, 11:45

It seems no one makes a range extender that can be assigned different SSID numbers any more...so you know what you're really connecting to. They all seem to clone the SSID, and who knows what I'm connected to? Can I ask how you configured the router...this issue with range is terrible. Thanks :roll:
One day I will own a REAL drone...