Wifi repeater range extension. Amped AP300 (actually SR300).

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Markus Unread
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Re: Wifi repeater range extension. Amped AP300 (actually SR3

Post by Markus Unread » 05 Jul 2012, 01:52

What is the firmware rev level of your ARdrone? If it is too old (before 1.7.4?) the drone will only appear in a peer-to-peer network and the repeater may not see the drone.

The AGENT
Ready for take off

Post by The AGENT » 05 Jul 2012, 07:30

latest firmware

BillyBag2
Just flips over

Post by BillyBag2 » 05 Jul 2012, 14:44

Not sure if you need to disable pairing.

The AGENT
Ready for take off

Post by The AGENT » 05 Jul 2012, 15:22

pairing is disabled)

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Re: Wifi repeater range extension. Amped SR10000

Post by DBS » 05 Jul 2012, 19:07

The AGENT wrote:I received Amped SR10000, made all the settings as in the first post of this topic but Drone is flying did not further 20m - losing signal (((

We also note that when connected to wi-fi shows and the "old" network ardrone2_ 000274 - is this the way it should be?
Once set up the repeater, the signal Dron was low.
There is nowhere to change the settings do not need?
I have the impression that I have a defective Drone((((((((
Your screenshots look right.. power drone first... then sr10000... the sr will connect with the drone and repeat it... then turn on wifi on iDevice... it will show you're drone and your sr.... connect to amped_sr

Should be working good... or not working at all if you got the settings wrong...

Only other problem would be your iDevice jumping to the drones wifi network if the drone comes to close to you and the signal is stronger than the sr signal... might be a good idea to chose "forget" on the drone connection so you know it won't jump
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

darwin-t
Just flips over

Post by darwin-t » 05 Jul 2012, 22:50

It took me several tries, but I finally got mine working. At first I had the Pairing turned on. After fixing that, I could connect totthe repeater, but when I loaded Drone Ace, it reported I wasn't connected to the drone.

All is good now, though.Hopefully I'll be able to test it out in the morning.

youlibert
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by youlibert » 16 Jul 2012, 21:20

Has anyone ran in the location error?
If you do? Most likely you are in a park or a place not well defined on the map.
What I did was turning wifi off, open the map app and tap on the auto location button.
Then Re-enabled wifi and connected to amped 10000, then relaunched freeflight app. It works 90% of the time.
For the 10%, just repeating the process solved the problem.

As a note: attempting to flight without the location stored to the drone was hell because the control were reversed completely.

Gioba
Newcomer

Post by Gioba » 03 Aug 2012, 14:28

Hello i want to do this but i don't know some things.
how did you get it working with a battery?

BillyBag2
Just flips over

Post by BillyBag2 » 03 Aug 2012, 18:05

Here is a YouTube video for a different device. Basically if it is a 12V device connect it to a spare 3s LiPo battery.

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/kBmAXJcET7c

Markus Unread
Ready for take off

Post by Markus Unread » 04 Aug 2012, 23:01

BillyBag2 wrote:Here is a YouTube video for a different device. Basically if it is a 12V device connect it to a spare 3s LiPo battery.

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/kBmAXJcET7c

Spot on!

Also you may want to look back on this thread for the reference to the Ebay "12V lithium battery pack and charger"

Mu

scobeyr
Newcomer

Post by scobeyr » 16 Sep 2012, 19:43

Rawd wrote:I see they are now offering an SR20000. It still claims the same 10,000 square foot coverage.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Amped+Wirel ... Id=5471152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anyone had success with the Amped SR20000G? I was thinking about buying the SR10000, and then noticed this post.
I would assume that it would work, but I hate assuming.

alexhidrobo
Up and hovering

Post by alexhidrobo » 21 Jan 2013, 20:11

Markus Unread wrote:Going to bang this out in a bit of a hurry so I'll be coming back to edit in any requested info.

Finally got a chance to do a free-space range extension test using an Amped SR300 WiFi repeater.
The SR300 is a standard store&forward repeater. Main and Extended networks are on the same channel but use different ESSID's.
It has a full-power, two antenna diversity radio with a very sensitive LNA (Low Noise Amplifier) for reaching out and picking up fringe AP's and devices.
It also has the standard RSMA connectors for the antennas in case you want to use directional external antennas.
The code running in the SR300 is a bit tweaky as far as its ability reconnect bridged networks upon power up. Other repeaters may do this better, but the SR300 is what I had to test with.

First, the test setup.
The test was run with an unmodified AR.Drone running 1.7.4 and an Amped Wireless SR300 with an adapter power cable allowing it to run off of a Zippy 11.1V LiPo battery. Obviously, it could be run off the included AC adapter, a 12V auto power cable, or whatever. The measured operating current draw from the battery was 160mA, but current draw will vary depending on the radio's adaptive transmit power level. 160mA is probably a good ballpark figure to stay with.

The Amped with the LiPo and adapter cable.

For the ranging test the Amped was stuck onto a tripod at 1.2 meters (4 ft) off the ground. The antennas were oriented in a V pattern to give reasonable gain in both horizontal and vertical polarization. The controller, a Galaxy Tab 7, was located ~8 meters away from the Amped in the opposite direction from the drone.

Drone on a stick.
The AR.Drone was placed on the end of a PVC pipe extending from the rear of a car. The plastic standoff extends 2 meters and is used to reduce reflections or interference by the metal auto body. I used a car instead of flying the drone because I'm lazy and the drone is too small and non-reflective to get a positive range lock from a laser rangefinder. The car is plenty big and reflective to the IR laser.

Running the AR.Drone facing away (antenna side toward the repeater) the video feed from the drone remained up and stable out to 405 meters (445 yards, 1335 ft).
This is line-of-sight - put trees and building in the way and all bets are off.
Not bad for an unmodified AR.Drone!

The following shows the setup screens for the Amped SR300/AP300.

Step 1: Connect to the SR300 using the included instructions. You will see this.
Hit NEXT.

Turn on your AR.Drone and let it boot up (leds green). *It has to be running 1.7.4 or greater and look like an AP to WiFi devices*

Step 2: Scan for the AR.Drone SSID. Select it and hit NEXT.

Step 3: Leave Key field blank. Hit NEXT.

Step 4: Make up a name for the extended drone network, it will be what SSID you connect to with your WiDevice running the drone control software. Use or remove any password that you want for the extended network. Hit NEXT.

The SR300 will reconfigure itself and you will be able to connect to the extended network and run the AR.Drone flight program.

Happy extended flying!
I see you dont need it any fuse connected to your LiPo. The router doesnt need that?
Whats your oppinion about other users uses a fuse to connect their devices?

Markus Unread
Ready for take off

Post by Markus Unread » 25 Jan 2013, 01:39

"I see you dont need it any fuse connected to your LiPo. The router doesnt need that?
Whats your oppinion about other users uses a fuse to connect their devices?"

If you want to put a fuse on, please do.
I didn't on mine because the barrel connector on the Amped would be very hard to short out by accident.
Other power connectors may be more susceptible to shorts, so feel free to stick a 2A fuse in line.
If shorted, a LiPO will vaporize a 2A fuse in milliseconds.

electron_pusher
Ready for take off

Post by electron_pusher » 30 Jan 2013, 04:10

scobeyr wrote:
Rawd wrote:I see they are now offering an SR20000. It still claims the same 10,000 square foot coverage.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Amped+Wirel ... Id=5471152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anyone had success with the Amped SR20000G? I was thinking about buying the SR10000, and then noticed this post.
I would assume that it would work, but I hate assuming.
This is an old post, but I'll respond for the sake of posterity. I have the SR20000G working. It was fairly simple to set up once I figured out the trick. Basically, when going through the setup wizard, configure the 2.4ghz network to repeat the ar drone, and leave the 5ghz network repeating a 'real' 5ghz wifi network.

The only substantial difference between the SR10000 and the SR20000 is the GB ethernet ports. I needed them for another purpose, personally. If you don't need them, there's really no point to paying the extra money.

TacticalHubs
Ready for take off

Post by TacticalHubs » 23 Jan 2014, 04:15

What if you don't have a "real" 5.0ghz to repeat? Are you out of luck or is there a work around? I just got the SR20000 and am having issues connecting to my ar drone 2.0.