High Density Batteries Topic

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
HellKatzX
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: The Batteries Topic

Post by HellKatzX » 23 Mar 2013, 23:32

Hi everyone, new guy here!

Had my drone for about a week now, based on what I've learned in this thread I was gonna purchase the following items as a starting point. I already ordered new bearings and shafts from drone-mods.com

Turnigy Accucel Balancer Charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turnigy nano tech 1300 mah battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mini Tamiya Female Connectors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _set_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there anything that I will need? I don't know how to crimp wires but I'm gonna try.

Thanks for the help

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 24 Mar 2013, 00:32

Hey there,
Welcome to the wonderful world of drone's! I think you will find that everyone around here is very friendly and helpful.
About the charging setup;
I use the Accucel 6 and nanotech 1300s. It's a good setup and has worked flawlessly for two months now.
One thing though, do NOT forget to order a power supply! It does not come with one and you will need a supply that puts out the right voltage (11-17 volts) It's an easy thing to miss esoecially if you are relatively new to Lipo charging. I made my order and had to order the supply separately and wait another week.
You can use some laptop power sources but you must make sure the voltage output is right. Personally I would recommend this one:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... upply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's cheap, reliable, and puts out plenty of amperage for charging small drone lipos.
And it's almost oerfectly suited for the Accucel 6.
Also, when you switch the plugs to mini tamiya on your new nanotech 1300s, make sure you order an adaptor to be able to connect them to the charger. It's definetely easier to just have mini Tamiyas on you lipos but you have to have the adaptors for charging.
This is the one you'll need if you do that;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... %20to%20xt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
personally I just use the adaptor on the battery and left the plugs.
Good luck!

Sent from the amazing Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

HellKatzX
Newcomer

Post by HellKatzX » 24 Mar 2013, 00:50

Thanks for the info Nicholi, I didn't notice I needed a power supply so you saved me a big surprise there!

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 24 Mar 2013, 01:05

HellKatzX wrote:Thanks for the info Nicholi, I didn't notice I needed a power supply so you saved me a big surprise there!
Yeah its an easy thing to miss. It's written in fine print at the very bottom. Easy for a newcomer to miss. I just noticed the one I recommended is out of stock though, as long as you get a supply with the voltage between 11-17 volts it will be fine. There are plenty of inexpensive ones out there.
Like I said, the Accucel 6 is a great charger, and it will put out enough amperage to charge pretty much any lipo, though if you start getting into charger bugger lipos like four and five cells you might need a bigger power source. It will do great charging any drone batteries though, including 2000 mah and bigger.
The nanotech 1300s are great too especially at that price. Just make sure you balance them often and you will get alot of use out of them.

pbody2013
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pbody2013 » 24 Mar 2013, 01:48

I'd add a couple of lipo charging/storage bags. If you decide to cut the XT-60's off and replace them with mini tamiya's cut one wire at a time. Cut both together and you will likely get an instant short and possible lipo explosion/fire in your face/hand and you don't want that!
Last edited by pbody2013 on 24 Mar 2013, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

HellKatzX
Newcomer

Post by HellKatzX » 24 Mar 2013, 01:52

Does the stock battery charger automatically balance the stock batteries? I have the one that hangs on the wall that you snap the battery onto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 24 Mar 2013, 01:55

Nicholi2789 wrote:Hey there,
Welcome to the wonderful world of drone's! I think you will find that everyone around here is very friendly and helpful.
I use the Accucel 6 and nanotech 1300s. It's a good setup and has worked flawlessly for two months now.
One thing though, do NOT forget to order a power supply! It does not come with one and you will need a supply that puts out the right voltage (11-17 volts) It's an easy thing to miss esoecially if you are relatively new to Lipo charging. I made my order and had to order the supply separately and wait another week.
You can use some laptop power sources but you must make sure the voltage output is right. Personally I would recommend this one:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... upply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's cheap, reliable, and puts out plenty of amperage for charging small drone lipos.
Also, when you switch the plugs to mini tamiya on your new nanotech 1300s, make sure you order an adaptor to be able to connect them to the charger. It's definetely easier to just have mini Tamiyas on you lipos but you have to have the adaptors for charging.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... %20to%20xt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck!

Nicoli why do you use the XT-60 discharge plug to charge? The JST-XH plug is for charging according to my understanding. If you use that plug to charge there's no need for the adapters as the Turnigy has the appropriate plugs on the end. Just curious.

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 24 Mar 2013, 02:49

pbody2013 wrote:
Nicholi2789 wrote:Hey there,
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... upply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... %20to%20xt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck!

Nicoli why do you use the XT-60 discharge plug to charge? The JST-XH plug is for charging according to my understanding. If you use that plug to charge there's no need for the adapters as the Turnigy has the appropriate plugs on the end. Just curious.
The XT-60 is for charging and the JST-XH is for balancing. The nanotech batteries are compatible with the Accucel 6 for charging and balancing right out of the box, but you need to either use an adaptor or change the plug to a mini tamiya to connect to the drone. But if you change the battery plug to a tamiya then it won't fit he charger and you will need an adaptor.
My understanding is that you use the XT60 whenever your charging and use the JST-XH just when balancing, and that's how I've been doing it. But I always have the balance plug connected when charging so I always can see what the individual cell voltage is.
I just don't modify the connectors on the battery and use an adaptor to connect to my drone.
This is the setup I use, stock right out of the box. Image
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I've only been doing this for a few months. :)

Last edited by Nicholi2789 on 24 Mar 2013, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 24 Mar 2013, 03:16

HellKatzX wrote:Does the stock battery charger automatically balance the stock batteries? I have the one that hangs on the wall that you snap the battery onto.
And yes the stock charger automatically balances the stock batteries. Unless your like Garrock and tear em open to see what's inside. ;)

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 24 Mar 2013, 05:10

Thanks Nicoli. Hobbyking lists the XT-60 as the discharge plug and the JST as the charge plug and since the adapter goes on the XT-60 that makes sense. I've seen a nice new Imax charger,all touch screen with a sweet box to plug most batteries in. The X200, anyway in the how to video both plugs were attached during charging so I wasn't sure what the hell was going on :lol: . Simple enough I'm sure,just done want one of those suckers going up in flames.

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 06 Apr 2013, 20:45

Can anyone recommend a good voltmeter to verify my batteries charge with? I haven't been able to find a good one that I think would work.

razzlesk
Newcomer

Post by razzlesk » 16 Apr 2013, 13:25

Hi everyone.
And what abou this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parrot-ar-drone ... 4ac38fe42c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is this good choice?

daniel san
Ready for take off

Post by daniel san » 17 Apr 2013, 07:56

razzlesk wrote:Hi everyone.
And what abou this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parrot-ar-drone ... 4ac38fe42c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is this good choice?
Seem a bit expensive considering the alternatives.. I have been running the "enriched power" lipo series from motion rc: http://www.motionrc.com/enrichpower-130 ... o-battery/ and they have been great. I have around 20 cycles on them and they show zero signs of puffing and have plenty of power, even with the 25c discharge. I also run the nano tech 45c 1300's, and the enriched power 1600 30c packs as well. All for under $10 a piece.

daniel san
Ready for take off

Post by daniel san » 17 Apr 2013, 07:59

Nicholi2789 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good voltmeter to verify my batteries charge with? I haven't been able to find a good one that I think would work.
Nicholi, believe it or not, these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=30676 are pretty spot on. I have two of these and they are dead on with my watt meter, my charger, and my other two sets of voltage meters. I recently bought a couple of no name meters on ebay and they were so far off, I tossed them in the garbage.

rallie_86
Ready for take off

Post by rallie_86 » 14 Jun 2013, 00:12

Hey!

What do you think about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Parrot-ArDr ... 1c33a2e76a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The friendliest community out there - Mhkek.com