Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Router, repeater (extender), GPS unit, antenna, tablet, FPV goggle, HD battery, charger, carrying case... etc.
Carl190_1
Just flips over
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Flight Recorder "on the cheap"

Post by Carl190_1 » 03 May 2015, 12:54

I have one of these 'Navistick LE used - working'
See 'Sell or Trade'

jhbhacker
Newcomer

Post by jhbhacker » 06 Sep 2017, 13:55

Hi, I know this thread is several years old but I decided to give it a try anyway. If Kyrt, Pawelsky or any of the "experts" are still around, I would like some advice.

I recently found my AR Drone 2 in the attic and decided to revive it. On a recent trip to the UK, I purchased a Navistick LE from Meridian Chartware hoping I could implement the Flight recorder in this thread. I followed all the steps in post 2 successfully including changing of the PID and VID. Unfortunately my drone does not correctly recognise the Navistick. The Freeflight status page reflects as follows: GPS Hardware 1.0, Software none, Satellites 00. I have noticed that the Navistick now has a default baud rate of 9600 as is indicated by a sticker on the back. I have tried Sirfdemo to change the default baud rate to 4800 but without any success. Sirfdemo also fails to change protocols, e.g to Sirf mode. With the exception of displaying NMEA information not much else works in Sirfdemo. Is this particular Navistick now factory "locked" in some way?

Any advice would be welcome.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 09 Sep 2017, 00:33

Afraid it is so long ago, I really don't remember enough about what baud rate is expected, but I do remember that the drone used SiRF binary mode, not NMEA, although it did set that up itself by sending messages to the GPS. I suspect that if SiRFDemo is unable to change to sirf mode, then neither will the drone.

If that works and the drone still doesn't see it, I'd do some digging around via telnet when connected to the drone, e.g. run 'dmesg', and see what kernel modules are installed.

However I would not be too hopeful, all sorts of things could have changed in the intervening years - GPS hardware, GPS drivers, sirf tool OS compatibility, drone firmware etc etc. I would open up the device and see if it's still the same, and concentrate on getting it to work in sirfdemo. I think you already did this, but just in case, that if you changed the VID & PID then you'll have to force the driver before Windows will recognise it again.

jhbhacker
Newcomer

Post by jhbhacker » 10 Sep 2017, 17:25

Hi Kyrt,

Thank you very much for the response and advice.