Learning to Fly in Drift and Racing Modes...

The Parrot Mambo minidrone is full of surprises! Whether you equip it with the Cannon or the Grabber, it'll turn the sky into an amazing playground.
JClarkW
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Mambo

Learning to Fly in Drift and Racing Modes...

Post by JClarkW » 17 Jan 2019, 00:30

As a newbie to flying drones, I'm getting good at flying my Mambo FPV in "Easy mode," but I'm struggling to master the controls in "Drift mode" (have yet to try "Racing mode") and could use some tips. I have not found an in-depth tutorial on piloting, so here are a few questions:

1) Basic knowledge of controls: In the higher-skill modes, do the banking controls work similarly to those of an airplane (i.e., left stick imparts roll rate to the drone so it starts to slide left, but returning the stick to center leaves the roll angle fixed and does not return it to level -- it continues sliding left)? I ask this because there's a button in the FreeFlight Mini app (FFM) called "Level Trim" (or something similar) that I suppose is a panic button to level the drone. If my guesses are right, this would be a very important control to have handy, preferably on a button of the Flypad controller!

2) Speaking of buttons on the Flypad, I found the following statement in "Parrot_MAMBO_QA_September2017 Technical V3.pdf" (a useful source of information I got from Parrot tech support that I can post if you don't have it):

"Can I customize the commands/buttons of the Parrot Flypad? And if yes, how?
Yes, through the FreeFlight Mini App. You will select a function on the device screen and then push the Flypad button you’d like to associate with the function, etc."

This raises the important question, are all of these customizations stored in the Mambo (or Flypad) so that they remain valid when FFM is not running, or are only certain ones stored? (Elsewhere the aforementioned document says that FFM can "change your data/settings when offline, it will be saved on your drone.")

Thanks very much for any guidance -- JClarkW

Dirk_ANAFI
Up and hovering
Drone Type: Anafi

Re: Learning to Fly in Drift and Racing Modes...

Post by Dirk_ANAFI » 18 Jan 2019, 11:32

1) No, the Flat Trim button is not a panic button and should not be used while flying. With Flat Trim you can trim the internal accelerometer to adjust an exact horizontal position. So the Flat Trim button should be used once before each flight with Mambo located on a horizontal and flat ground.

2) If you would post the "Mambo Technical QA" document here, this would be surely a help for some of us.

I really don't know, where the command mapping data are stored. You could find out, if you either have 2 Mambos or two Flypads: Then you could do the mapping with one combination of drone-Flypad and then connect the other Mambo/Flypad and check whether the command mapping is the same as you configured before.
You can also exclude FF Mini as storing device for the mapping data, if you alter the command settings, then clear all app data in settings of your smartphone. If you connect afterwards, then all mapping changes should be gone, if they were stored in FF Mini (but I don't think these data are stored there, because the command mapping also works without FF Mini!).
But I never did these tests.

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 18 Jan 2019, 17:42

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:32
2) If you would post the "Mambo Technical QA" document here, this would be surely a help for some of us.
Dirk -- After poking around a little, I realized I don't know how to post attachments (other than "images") to this board. This file in question is a several-page PDF. What's the best way? -- JClarkW

Dirk_ANAFI
Up and hovering

Post by Dirk_ANAFI » 18 Jan 2019, 18:08

I think, the best way would be to upload the file to a file hoster like dropbox and share the link to the file here.

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 18 Jan 2019, 18:35

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 18:08
I think, the best way would be to upload the file to a file hoster like dropbox and share the link to the file here.
Dirk (and everyone) -- Here's the link on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qFKOih ... sp=sharing

I hope it works! -- JClarkW

Dirk_ANAFI
Up and hovering

Post by Dirk_ANAFI » 18 Jan 2019, 20:46

Works! Thanks!
PAY ATTENTION: "For internal support use only" :lol:

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 21 Jan 2019, 20:35

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
I really don't know, where the command mapping data are stored...
...in FF Mini (but I don't think these data are stored there, because the command mapping also works without FF Mini!).
FYI I just received the following answer from Parrot Tech Support to this question:

"Q:4-In the middle of p.8 about the Flypad, it says that the functions of the Flypad buttons can be customized through FreeFlight Mini. Are these button customizations saved in the on-board memory like other settings changed in FreeFlight mini, so that they remain functional even without a smartphone connection? [See description of FreeFlight Mini at the top of p.9, where it says, "Change your data/settings when offline, it will be saved on your drone."] Are there any setting changes that do NOT get saved on-board?

"A:4-All the settings that you can change will get saved on the offline mode and online mode."

I think this means that all are saved onboard the Mambo itself and still operate when it's flown from the Flypad alone. -- JClarkW

Dirk_ANAFI
Up and hovering

Post by Dirk_ANAFI » 22 Jan 2019, 08:03

Thank you for clarifying.

In the support answer I don't understand "offline" and "online" mode in relation to this theme.
These terms are normally used for the smartphone beeing connected to the internet or generally to G4.

But in relation to Mambo or Flypad: what means offline/online mode?

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 22 Jan 2019, 23:52

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 08:03
In the support answer I don't understand "offline" and "online" mode in relation to this theme.
I agree completely; I just assume it was a "yes" to my question. I've asked for clarification, but don't hold your breath; last response took over a week... -- JClarkW

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 25 Jan 2019, 22:03

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
1) No, the Flat Trim button is not a panic button and should not be used while flying. With Flat Trim you can trim the internal accelerometer to adjust an exact horizontal position. So the Flat Trim button should be used once before each flight with Mambo located on a horizontal and flat ground.
Getting into Drift Mode? -- [SOLVED -- See next post]

Back at you again, I'm afraid: Having gotten everything working according to your instructions at "viewtopic.php?f=127&t=9946#p83759" (although I'm still having some trouble getting the Flypad to connect after FreeFlight Mini), I tried to go to "Drift Mode." In FFM I go to Settings/Piloting and tap "Drift." Nothing changes. The Mambo still stops horizontal motion abruptly when the Flypad controls are released -- no sign of keeping horizontal momentum.

I tried this again just now, immediately after resetting the Mambo and uninstalling/reinstalling FFM on my phone with no improvement. I even told it to take off from FFM before taking the Flypad controls. Am I doing something wrong? -- JClarkW
Last edited by JClarkW on 28 Jan 2019, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 28 Jan 2019, 00:13

JClarkW wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 22:03
Getting into Drift Mode?
OK, I'm being stupid again. (It helps to read what FreeFlight Mini says on the screen!) I was finally cued in by reading the other forum (https://parrotpilots.com/threads/mambo- ... mode.1151/) to understand that the L2 button on the Flypad toggles between Normal Mode and whatever advanced Piloting Mode is selected in FFM. Without pressing L2 the first time, Mambo evidently remains in Normal mode. (It's not clear whether you can actually get to one of the advanced modes without the Flypad, as I don't see any simulated Flypad buttons on the FFM screen...) -- JClarkW

JClarkW
Ready for take off

Post by JClarkW » 08 Feb 2019, 02:11

Dirk_ANAFI wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 08:03
...In the support answer I don't understand "offline" and "online" mode in relation to this theme.
Dirk -- Parrot support finally responded to my query and agreed with my statement, "Do you mean that all settings you make with the FreeFlight Mini are saved in the Mambo drone, hence available when using the FlyPad alone?"

I had already concluded this when, after pairing the Mambo to FreeFlight Mini without the Flypad and setting it to "Racing Mode," I shut down both the Mambo and the smartphone and then paired Mambo to the Flypad. It remembered (on toggling with R2) that it was set to racing mode. (Of course I don't have two Flypads, so I can't really prove that the information wasn't stored in Flypad...) -- JClarkW

Dirk_ANAFI
Up and hovering

Post by Dirk_ANAFI » 08 Feb 2019, 03:25

You finally got an answer!
I assume it's true. ;)