Read the latest news and announcements.
Ashant
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Apple AppStore pulls AR.FreeFlight 2.0

Post by Ashant » 15 Mar 2013, 00:50

AR.Tommy wrote:Any source? Or at least an app name please.
Google search "iOS auto uninstall apps" Comes up with plenty of results showing this as far back as 2010

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 15 Mar 2013, 09:10

Hello Ashant,

I didn't ask for a source because I don't believe you or because I'm a fanboy I just want to know it.

Yes, plenty of results but all uninstalls were after an iTunes sync. Which is not the same as the remote wipe / kill switch. Uninstall after an sync can have a lot of reasons, mostly because the app got updated and the device lost the minimum requirements. Pulled apps will not uninstall after an iTunes sync.

As far as I know there was only one real malware app on iOS in the last five years. It was the "find and call"-scandal and even that one got only pulled, not remote wiped.

You can also drop me an email or private message if we are getting away the topic.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

Ashant
Ready for take off

Post by Ashant » 15 Mar 2013, 17:48

giorgi3 wrote:
Ashant wrote:
Good to know! I'll be switching to one of my Android devices either way.

Wish there was a WebOS version, love my TouchPad7 :P
I've ported my Touchpad to Android Tenderloin (CM 9) just so I could use ARDrone Flight Pro and FreeFlight 2.0. It all works fine except their is an issue with the TouchPad's compass & Android, so no absolute mode. It's set up for dual boot so I still have WebOS as well.

Are you sure it's not the device? Both my TP's work perfectly fine with CM9 and my own build

12inchmick
Up and hovering

Post by 12inchmick » 15 Mar 2013, 20:28

Anyone tried Drone Control HD by Tommy Kammerer on App Store? £3.99 but don't want to risk it being pants - hence the question.....

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 15 Mar 2013, 20:32

I have it. Works well and the few small issues I've had were quickly resolved by Tommy. I highly recommend him and his apps :D
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 15 Mar 2013, 20:33

12inchmick wrote:Anyone tried Drone Control HD by Tommy Kammerer on App Store? £3.99 but don't want to risk it being pants - hence the question.....
That is me! :D Take a look at: http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 15 Mar 2013, 20:34

Opps sorry Mick, I don't have HD,that's ipad app. I have the one for the iphone.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 16 Mar 2013, 10:11

Oh, it looks like the thread http://forum.parrot.com/ardrone/en/view ... hp?id=7392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got deleted but new threads are popping all over the place.

mhoppes
Up and hovering

Post by mhoppes » 16 Mar 2013, 13:51

Ridiculous. I hope they come out with an official statement soon.

-- Sent via Carrier Class Pidgin

mf25053
Just flips over

Post by mf25053 » 20 Mar 2013, 04:06

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H8859 ... 0?fnode=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this was more than a minor deal... I doubt that would still be there. Otherwise Apple is selling an "android only" device on their own site.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 20 Mar 2013, 04:20

Yea well wait until a customer goes to get Freeflight and sees it's the 1.0 version for iphone 3G or touch 2G. They should be advising customers of this before they buy. I'd be pissed if that's what I found when I went to the App store, especially when the box list Free Flight 2.0.

nullomorph
Ready for take off

Post by nullomorph » 20 Mar 2013, 09:41

Another app that recently got pulled from the AppStore was a security app using the iPhone camera:
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/18/big-brot ... store-ban/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As Apple are notoriously quiet about their reasons behind approving or pulling apps it may help to look for a pattern in their recent behaviour.
Probably they just made a sweep for apps that might cause privacy concerns (probably after someone complained). What happened, I believe, is that after a complaint they pulled the apps that may be considered as "spying". This is nonsense, as any camera app (including Apple's own) could be used to take photos and videos of someone not wanting to be photographed. So they might just as well ban photography and video altogether.
I hope Parrot will be able to sort it out.

mf25053
Just flips over

Post by mf25053 » 20 Mar 2013, 16:05

pbody2013 wrote:Yea well wait until a customer goes to get Freeflight and sees it's the 1.0 version for iphone 3G or touch 2G. They should be advising customers of this before they buy. I'd be pissed if that's what I found when I went to the App store, especially when the box list Free Flight 2.0.
I agree with you there. It is VERY annoying, for reasons I'm not even going to get into.

However I'm 100% positive it will get resolved. Apple has too much time and money tied up in the Drone and other Parrot products to cut ties like this.

Thankfully folks like Tommy have affordable and reliable alternatives to FreeFlight 2.0. Hopefully what ever got Apple's panties in a bunch doesn't filter down to those apps as well.

giorgi3
Up and hovering

Post by giorgi3 » 20 Mar 2013, 17:25

Ashant wrote:
giorgi3 wrote:
Ashant wrote:
Good to know! I'll be switching to one of my Android devices either way.

Wish there was a WebOS version, love my TouchPad7 :P
I've ported my Touchpad to Android Tenderloin (CM 9) just so I could use ARDrone Flight Pro and FreeFlight 2.0. It all works fine except their is an issue with the TouchPad's compass & Android, so no absolute mode. It's set up for dual boot so I still have WebOS as well.

Are you sure it's not the device? Both my TP's work perfectly fine with CM9 and my own build
Really! Cool! Do you use absolute mode setting where the TP compass is being used to control the AR Drone relative to the way you are facing? Do you have a TP with WIFI only or do you have one with 3g support? Mine is WIFI only and I had all kinds of issues with the compass on the TP. I even worked with the CM9/CM10 developers to try and resolve it, but the last I knew the compass didn't function correctly.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 20 Mar 2013, 18:13

mf25053 wrote:
pbody2013 wrote:Yea well wait until a customer goes to get Freeflight and sees it's the 1.0 version for iphone 3G or touch 2G. They should be advising customers of this before they buy. I'd be pissed if that's what I found when I went to the App store, especially when the box list Free Flight 2.0.
I agree with you there. It is VERY annoying, for reasons I'm not even going to get into.

However I'm 100% positive it will get resolved. Apple has too much time and money tied up in the Drone and other Parrot products to cut ties like this.

Thankfully folks like Tommy have affordable and reliable alternatives to FreeFlight 2.0. Hopefully what ever got Apple's panties in a bunch doesn't filter down to those apps as well.
Actually I don't think 1.0 will even work with V2 Drone. I downloaded AR Hunter and AR Race to try them. They don't work because they won't output video, So for Parrot to put that on the box is misleading and apple is being no better in this regard. I'm no legal eagle but I'd say this verges on,if not outright false advertising. More so on apples' part in my opinion because they pulled the Free Flight that works and are directing customers to the app that won't work well if at all. Not cool. Good for Tommy and other 3rd party suppliers perhaps. Drone Control is far better anyway.