AR.Drone 2.0 - What looks new and/or improved.

Read the latest news and announcements.
KerryG
Strange wobble
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AR.Drone 2.0 - What looks new and/or improved.

Post by KerryG » 15 Jan 2012, 03:25

We got mixed messages at CES from the staff there. Most said the ONLY thing that is backwards compatible is the main drive gear. One person said the battery too but then wasn't 100% sure when pushed on it.

knoxploration
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by knoxploration » 15 Jan 2012, 05:39

denodan wrote:How can you say you can use the old batteries?, the picture shows it's using 12 volts, not 11.1 volts, so clearly at this stage not the same battery.
Because Parrot themselves have said so in no uncertain terms:

"Kristopher Erickson
Will we be able to use replacement parts for the drone 2.0 on our older drone model to upgrade it?
Like · · Thursday at 1:54am ·

Parrot No only the batteries are compatible.
Thursday at 2:26pm · Like · 1"

"Lee Whitman
Will I be able to use the batteries from the 1.0 in the 2.0? I bought 3 extra batteries and would like to use them on the 2.0 if possible.

Also another thing, a motor stopped working and not from a crash, is that a warranty thing and would I have to send the whole drone in for something so minor? Hate to pay $20+ shipping for such a small part.
Like · · Wednesday at 9:50pm via mobile ·

Parrot Hi Lee, yes for battery compatibility. Regarding your warranty and technical issue please contact our hotline and please give them details: http://www.parrot.com/hotline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wednesday at 11:32pm · Like"

https://www.facebook.com/Parrot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seadoodude
Up and hovering

Post by seadoodude » 15 Jan 2012, 05:47

KerryG wrote:We got mixed messages at CES from the staff there. Most said the ONLY thing that is backwards compatible is the main drive gear. One person said the battery too but then wasn't 100% sure when pushed on it.
What other type of battery could they possibly use unless it's higher voltage, like a 4S. One of those pictures sure looked like some proprietary pack. Perhaps they invented a new technology that will allow hour long flights!

knoxploration
Chased the cat

Post by knoxploration » 15 Jan 2012, 05:52

seadoodude wrote:
KerryG wrote:We got mixed messages at CES from the staff there. Most said the ONLY thing that is backwards compatible is the main drive gear. One person said the battery too but then wasn't 100% sure when pushed on it.
What other type of battery could they possibly use unless it's higher voltage, like a 4S. One of those pictures sure looked like some proprietary pack. Perhaps they invented a new technology that will allow hour long flights!
Hah - don't get your hopes up, they've clearly stated flight time is unchanged.

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 15 Jan 2012, 06:09

All I can say, is if you look at the pictures listed on this website, the battery clearly shows it's a 12 volt battery, not an 11.1 volt as in the AR 1.

If you can use the older batteries, then clearly would not be as powerful, or last as long, due to voltage differences.

If the battery is no different, then why does the picture clearly show it's 12 volt?

knoxploration
Chased the cat

Post by knoxploration » 15 Jan 2012, 08:07

denodan wrote:All I can say, is if you look at the pictures listed on this website, the battery clearly shows it's a 12 volt battery, not an 11.1 volt as in the AR 1.

If you can use the older batteries, then clearly would not be as powerful, or last as long, due to voltage differences.

If the battery is no different, then why does the picture clearly show it's 12 volt?
I didn't dispute that it would perform differently, just said that Parrot have clearly stated that the old battery *will* work in the new drone. They've claimed battery life to be unchanged, but haven't said whether that applies to both batteries, or just the new pack (which likely suggests it only applies to the new pack.)

Dougie B
Newcomer

Post by Dougie B » 15 Jan 2012, 18:26

any idea when it wil be released? i want one!

Cannonballer
Ready for take off

Post by Cannonballer » 15 Jan 2012, 23:53

Dougie B wrote:any idea when it wil be released? i want one!
Word is, it will be 2nd quarter 2012

hopefully they will see that value releasing it earlier.

JHebert
Ready for take off

Post by JHebert » 16 Jan 2012, 05:10

I had a chance to visit with the rep that was running the "drone dance" show at their booth. He was very nice and showed me the batteries (from what I can tell they are indeed identical) and took the time to show me the USB header when I asked about it. There was tape over the plate hole, not a plug like the current model and it was much deeper inside the unit. I only had a quick glance at the header, but I would swear it was female, not male like current model. He also seemed to think the motor was interchangable but the cross member is not. I have attached one of the handouts from CES:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 16 Jan 2012, 05:57

Thanks for the info? So did the battery not say 12 volt like in the picture posted on here?

The battery looks the same, and may well work, but if it is indeed 12 volt as shown in picture listed on this website and your using 11.1 volt, it will work, but drive the motors slower and battery not last as long, but will work, but more sluggish performance.

Interesting you did not manage to see if the battery is 11.1 volts, or 12 volts as shown in a picture?

I have no doubt the old batteries will work, but may not work as well as the proper battery, seems this is still a mystery the actually voltage being used?

JHebert
Ready for take off

Post by JHebert » 16 Jan 2012, 16:23

denodan wrote:Thanks for the info? So did the battery not say 12 volt like in the picture posted on here?

The battery looks the same, and may well work, but if it is indeed 12 volt as shown in picture listed on this website and your using 11.1 volt, it will work, but drive the motors slower and battery not last as long, but will work, but more sluggish performance.

Interesting you did not manage to see if the battery is 11.1 volts, or 12 volts as shown in a picture?

I have no doubt the old batteries will work, but may not work as well as the proper battery, seems this is still a mystery the actually voltage being used?
I would not bet my life on the battery saying 11.1 - When I asked him if it was the same battery as the original his answer was yes and he picked up one sitting at his station and showed it to me briefly. I don't specifically remember seeing the voltage so I cannot say with certainty. The picture you refer to is the battery compartment, not the battery. The specs on the motors for the new model is 14.5 watt at hover vs. 15.0 for the original so it would seem the new motors would have less draw on the battery than the original.

knimrod
Ready for take off

Post by knimrod » 16 Jan 2012, 16:46

If it's a LiPo battery (they are), it's most likely going to be rated at 11.1 volts. LiPo battery cells used in the hobby market are most always 3.7 volts. LiPo battery packs are typically rated at some multiple of the cell voltage depending on the application. A "2S" pack will be 7.4V, a "3S" pack will be 11.1 volts, a "4S" pack will be 14.8 volts, etc... Typically, these cells will measure ~4.2 volts fully charged and 3.4 volts when "dead" (depending on load). So is it a 12 volt or an 11.1 volt battery? -> Yes.

;)

merlin75
Ready for take off

Post by merlin75 » 25 Jan 2012, 01:41

I've been lurking for a while now, really wanted to get an AR-Drone for Christmas but it just didn't work out. I'm glad I noticed this thread, now I'll wait for the 2.0!
My desire is to mount a GoPro for video of off-road adventures in my Jeep (as well as using the drone to check what the other side of a ridge looks like). Hoping the 2.0 has a better range and/or still works with the WiFi router range extension trick.

I appreciate further info on the release as it comes available!

KerryG
Strange wobble

Post by KerryG » 25 Jan 2012, 02:54

Not sure why you would need to wait 4-5 months for the 2.0 for what you want. Do not expect to have good results with the GoPro, its just a bit underpowered for that purpose. As for range, throw on a MacGyver mod and you will have more range than you can use.

knoxploration
Chased the cat

Post by knoxploration » 25 Jan 2012, 04:12

KerryG wrote:Not sure why you would need to wait 4-5 months for the 2.0 for what you want. Do not expect to have good results with the GoPro, its just a bit underpowered for that purpose. As for range, throw on a MacGyver mod and you will have more range than you can use.
Plenty of people are managing good results with the GoPro.

As for not waiting, I can see at least two reasons he'd want to wait, based on what he said. Every preview of the Drone 2.0 has said it is more stable and easier to fly; that suggests if he's planning to record video with a GoPro, he'll find it easier to fly the desired route and hover in the desired location for filming. (Also, the Drone 2.0 adds the ability to fly a predetermined path automatically).

The second reason is that range may well be better without needing to use a MacGyver mod. 802.11n has greater range, and also allows both 2.4 / 5GHz. (Not clear if the Drone 2.0 will allow this.) For his purposes, that extra range may be enough to negate the need for the MacGyver mod.

There's also a chance he may find the Drone 2.0's HD video to be good enough that he doesn't need the GoPro, although none of us really know yet.