Battery discharges by itself quickly when the drone is OFF

Parrot's new driving and jumping mini drones Jumping Sumo, Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drone.

Moderator: AR.Tommy

rioachim
Battery Charged
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Battery discharges by itself quickly when the drone is OFF

Post by rioachim » 26 Jul 2017, 14:18

Do you have this type of problem with your Parrot Jumping drone?

When I recharge my drone to 100 % and let the battery inside the drone, the battery discharges very quickly even if the drone is off (it's like 15% loss per 10 minutes in OFF mode, almost empty in 1 hours).

Nevertheless, the battery seems to be okay because when I use the drone, the autonomy is more than 20 min and when I keep the battery outside of the drone, the battery doesn’t discharge by itself.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Battery discharges by itself quickly when the drone is OFF

Post by AR.Tommy » 27 Jul 2017, 08:56

Hello and welcome,

never noticed this problem, but I usually unplug the battery. What kind of sumo are you using exactly? Are you also using an usb stick?
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

rioachim
Battery Charged

Post by rioachim » 27 Jul 2017, 16:23

Parrot Jumping Race drone without anything connected. And by switched off, I really mean that, after I charge it, I press the button and the lights go out together with the WiFi.

Could you please try to charge it completely, then unplug it from the charger and press the ON/OFF button once (the lights should turn off in a few seconds), then turn it on after one hour to see the remaining charge? Thanks

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 05 Aug 2017, 11:58

After a few tests I can not confirm this battery drain. (Tested with the original white Jumping Sumo and stock battery)

Did you try another battery? Did you try if the battery drain does exists when unplugging the battery from the Sumo?

rioachim
Battery Charged

Post by rioachim » 06 Aug 2017, 19:15

Thank you for the tests. The battery will be ok if I take it out of the drone after every full charge, but depleted in 1h if I leave it inside with the drone off. This might occur only on Jumping Race/Night models since firmware update 2.1.77 which comes with the following changelog:
- Compulsory safety update : fix to avoid abnormal electronic behavior after factory reset (in rare circumstances).
- Internal update process improvement
- Extinction replaced by eco mode, the product can’t be switched off with the button.
- No-activity watchdog replaced by eco mode, the drone won’t switch off automatically.
I managed to downgrade to 2.1.53 by doing steps 1-4 from this guide and then copying the .plf file to USB mounted drive:
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=3357

Although I can't use the drone with the Parrot app, as it's requesting me to do an update, I'll see in a few hours if I can still turn on the drone. If it does, the whole thing must be a feature not a bug... meh

rioachim
Battery Charged

Post by rioachim » 07 Aug 2017, 06:12

Yes. the battery drain is gone on 2.1.53. Now there should be a way to fool the mobile app into thinking I have the latest version.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 07 Aug 2017, 09:13

Fooling the mobile app is like downgrading. Just edit the version.txt file. Alternatively you could use a control app that does not force you to update.

PS: just read that you are using the Jumping Race, for some reason I did the test with Jumping Sumo.

rioachim
Battery Charged

Post by rioachim » 07 Aug 2017, 19:04

I'm afraid it's not that easy. I found great information at:

https://www.drone-forum.de/index.php/At ... cking-pdf/

Version.txt is used only for updating/downgrading purposes. It will not be taken into account by the mobile Parrot app. It won't work either by changing /etc/build.prop strings or /www/index.html. It will not work even when modifying decimal offset 36 from 03 to 04 in js_evo_update.plf

But let's take a look at /bin/onoffbutton/shortpress_1.sh:

on 2.1.53:
#!/bin/sh
# Script called when pressing the ON/OFF button once

echo "Triggered shutdown" | logger -s -t "ShortPress" -p user.info

/bin/powerOff.sh
on 2.1.77:
#!/bin/sh
# Script called when pressing the ON/OFF button once

echo "NOT turning off"
if [ -f /tmp/.ecomode ]; then
/bin/ecomode_stop.sh
else
/bin/ecomode_start.sh
fi
Luckly /bin/powerOff.sh is still available on 2.1.77, completely the same as in 2.1.53. Therefore a simple telnet command:

cat > /bin/onoffbutton/shortpress_1.sh

then PASTE 2.1.53 file content then [ENTER][CTRL+D] will solve the ECO mode problem.