Possible Cause for Fly Aways and RTH Failure

Mods for Bebop, Bebop 2 and even the Skycontroller.
vrjunkie
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

Possible Cause for Fly Aways and RTH Failure

Post by vrjunkie » 28 Feb 2018, 21:45

Hi,

I am new here but have already discovered a BIG NO NO that I am guilty of...

Almost all of the documentation (and it's spotty and scattered with no hirarchy of important notes) mentions connecting the Phone to the Bebop 2 over and over. I guess it was developed with customers purchasing the drone alone (ignoring the ones who get it with the sky controller or FPV pack).

What this does (and I was guilty of) is customers fumbling around and fying with the phones WiFi and the Sky controller 2 merely being a simple slave controller (as opposed to the primary control device).

This would explainf the VASTLY different reviews I read regarding fly aways, loss of control, and RTH failures. For if you are using the phones WiFi you will have INCREDIBLY limited range and when you realize you have lost control pressing RTH on the controller will do nothing as the controller has no connection to the drone!

This is a HUGE GLARING HOLE in the instructions and needs to be fixed as it is hurting customer experiences and Bebop 2 reputation.

Why is this not highlighted in HUGE red lettering somewhere???

Also the ducumentation needs collected together in 1 place and kept up to date. Numerous examples of differing screens, mentions of previous software apps and screens ABOUND.

This would be an EASY simple fix - right???

Am I just a newbie who has not found the holy grail documentation or what?

I think this is a terrific product and has incredible capabilities but is being held back by poor documentation.

-Lane
(Vrjunkie)

solaris8x86
Strange wobble

Re: Possible Cause for Fly Aways and RTH Failure

Post by solaris8x86 » 01 Mar 2018, 15:51

vrjunkie wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:45
Hi,

I am new here but have already discovered a BIG NO NO that I am guilty of...

Almost all of the documentation (and it's spotty and scattered with no hirarchy of important notes) mentions connecting the Phone to the Bebop 2 over and over. I guess it was developed with customers purchasing the drone alone (ignoring the ones who get it with the sky controller or FPV pack).

What this does (and I was guilty of) is customers fumbling around and fying with the phones WiFi and the Sky controller 2 merely being a simple slave controller (as opposed to the primary control device).

This would explainf the VASTLY different reviews I read regarding fly aways, loss of control, and RTH failures. For if you are using the phones WiFi you will have INCREDIBLY limited range and when you realize you have lost control pressing RTH on the controller will do nothing as the controller has no connection to the drone!

This is a HUGE GLARING HOLE in the instructions and needs to be fixed as it is hurting customer experiences and Bebop 2 reputation.

Why is this not highlighted in HUGE red lettering somewhere???

Also the ducumentation needs collected together in 1 place and kept up to date. Numerous examples of differing screens, mentions of previous software apps and screens ABOUND.

This would be an EASY simple fix - right???

Am I just a newbie who has not found the holy grail documentation or what?

I think this is a terrific product and has incredible capabilities but is being held back by poor documentation.

-Lane
(Vrjunkie)

Flyaway is mostly found on DJI copters. It is seldom to be found on Parrot drones. Especially you have the mod kit applied. Your control signal will be very strong and wipe out other drones/copters nearby. So that you can dominate your airspace. Your flyaway chance after the Mod is about 1/4000.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ

1st timer
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by 1st timer » 02 Oct 2018, 21:16

What is a mod kit?

IronSpear
Ready for take off

Post by IronSpear » 18 Oct 2018, 09:07

Make sure your phone is in airplane mode (eg no wifi, BT, getting messages, calls and notifications etc)

Turn Bebop 2 on and wait for it to boot up.

Turn on the SC2 and await the pairing with the bebop 2 (green light on controller)

Connect your phone to the SC2 with the proprietory cable that came with the phone if possible (if not then it must be a data and charging cable not just a charging cable)

When you connect the phone to the controller via usb the FFP program should automatically start up.

Viola! you should be good to go.....

When you launch the drone make sure you give it time to access the GPS satelites before you go

Good luck!
-(2 x Parrot Bebop 2's - SC1/SC2 - Samsung S7)+(1 x Parrot Mambo - Flypad - Samsung S6)+(GoPro Karma Hero5)-All latest Updates-

IronSpear
Ready for take off

Post by IronSpear » 18 Oct 2018, 09:09

Here is a chcklist that I use for my drones.

Pre-Flight Checklist and For Drones

It is the pilot's responsibility to check the conditions before flying. The following conditions need to be met before taking off. If you run into an issue and are flying in a condition not outlined below, it is YOUR fault, not the drones.

Check list (feel free to add to the list, but do not omit)

1. Drone Free from damage (cracks, bends or otherwise)

2. Drone and controller on latest update

3. Propellers free from cracks, debris, or un-manufactured bends

4. Securely tighten the propellers

5. Battery fully charged (drone and controller)

6. Battery fully engaged and locked into place

7. Never launch on or near your car

8. Area clear of people, obstacles, and the following:
1. Metal (including underground)
2. Reinforced Concrete
3. Sand which may contain magnetite
4. Structures
5. Electrical equipment
6. Groups of people or anyone standing within ten feet of the drone
7. Radio/Wi-Fi signals

9. Clear view of the Blue sky - Do Not fly in overcast, foggy, or areas of high humidity or precipitation

10. Wind speed (including gust) below ‎22mph (10m/s)

11. Kp disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field less than 4

12. Away from object that can cause Wi-Fi interference

13. Away from areas of high Wi-Fi utilization

14. All Settings Checked
1. Return to home altitude
2. Max altitude
3. Max range
4. Flight mode (Sport/Video)
5. Camera settings

15. Wait 1-2 minutes AFTER getting the prompt "Ready to Fly" to allow the drone to acquire additional satellites before taking off (not mandatory but a good idea)

16. Keep the back of the controller pointed at the drone at all times

17. If the controller connection goes into the red or the video becomes choppy, STOP, adjust the direction you are holding the controller and give the controller and drone a little time to establish a stronger connection.

18. Make sure you pre-load maps before traveling to your flight location.

19. Whenever possible, manually land your drone. You can do it much better and softer than the auto landing. "The Bebop 2 just added "manual" landing in the last update. I never had any problems with the auto landing, but I've seen several people crash while attempting to land manually with older firmware".

20. Never initiate Return to Home (Auto Land) if the drone has lost GPS.

21. Turn OFF your phone's wifi before connecting it to a Sky Controller 2 or 3!

This list is not unique to Bebop 2 but to all drones. If you are going to fly in valleys, in dense areas of vegetation, under bridges/tunnels/trees/structures you need to be prepared to fly manually and know that it is not uncommon for the drone to experience multipath propagation which will cause it to miscalculate it's position in space and fly erratically. Always fly within LOS.
-(2 x Parrot Bebop 2's - SC1/SC2 - Samsung S7)+(1 x Parrot Mambo - Flypad - Samsung S6)+(GoPro Karma Hero5)-All latest Updates-