DIY Skycontroller for Bebop 2, and Bebop 2 improvement

Mods for Bebop, Bebop 2 and even the Skycontroller.
l.hoornweg
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2

DIY Skycontroller for Bebop 2, and Bebop 2 improvement

Post by l.hoornweg » 03 Oct 2016, 15:37

I own my Bebob 2 for 5 days now and already found out the disadvantage of the wifi connection system in an urban environment.
I've tried several devices, Iphone 6SPlus, 5S, Ipad 4th gen, Samsung galaxy S3 and an Note 4.

apparently the Ipad had the strongest signal (what a surprise).

but still it depends very much on the location you're flying. at point A I get an altitude of 90+meters but 100 meters further I'm not getting higher than 60 meters.

Now, I want a more stable connection which gives me not only a longer range and an higher altitude, but also a better more stable FPV throughput.

I want all this, but not for the local price of 349 euro's.

So after searching the web for several hours yesterday, I found some interesting threads about building your own skycontroller.
It may not look als fancy as the one from parrot itself, but the plan is to make it just as effective.

So, yesterday evening I found some supplies at Banggood which will be used to build one.

I ordered the next things:

iPega PG-9021 Rechargeable Multimedia WiFi Bluetooth Controller with Stand for iPhone Android PC - €22,00
Original Xiaomi 16000mAh Universal Battery Charger Power Bank - €26,34
Xiaomi Mi WiFi Nano Smart Router Youth Edition 802.11n 300Mbps Wireless Router - €16,03
Heavy Duty Armor Stand Case Hybrid Soft Hard Rugged Case Cover For iPad 2/3/4 - €9,04

the estimated delivery is within 3 weeks, so I'll have to be very patient...

I already have velcro to put it all together for temporarily assembly, If this really works I want to build a permanent housing.

I'm also planning to improve my BBP2 by adding LED's for flying in the evenings.
Also I would like to improve the antenna system by adding a custom antenna like solaris8x86 did, but I have no idea where to start...

more info later this week when the LED's arrive.

l.hoornweg
Ready for take off

Re: DIY Skycontroller for Bebop 2, and Bebop 2 improvement

Post by l.hoornweg » 04 Oct 2016, 20:21

Today I received my LED's with peripherals and immediately installed some of them.

I ordered 4 white LED's 2 red and 2 green, i've installed all of them except for 2 white, I hoped that 2 white would be enough but unfortunately the aren't.

here some pics
20161004_181856434_iOS.jpg
20161004_181729689_iOS.jpg
20161004_181638972_iOS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crassus16888
Newcomer

Post by crassus16888 » 13 Oct 2016, 08:17

hello l.hoornweg,
I'm also a newbie in bebop2, where do you draw the power? can you show the connection? i'm also interest to do some mods on it, especially what solaris did on the bebop 2 antenna...

please help, thanks

l.hoornweg
Ready for take off

Post by l.hoornweg » 14 Oct 2016, 10:22

Hi crassus16888

I found some info on a dutch website http://3s-stamboom.nl/bebop2/mod.html
This guy made pics of several steps in the process of adding LED's to his BBP2, everything you need.

crassus16888
Newcomer

Post by crassus16888 » 14 Oct 2016, 10:24

Hello l.hoornweg,
thanks for your info, thats great, by the way, i'm looking way to add a circular antenna and booster on the bebop 2 to increase the TX range, any idea?

l.hoornweg
Ready for take off

Post by l.hoornweg » 14 Oct 2016, 21:19

Hi crassus16888

unfortunately I have none, I was looking for the same thing, but haven't find any instructions about it.
on Google I found one pic of the mobo, it has 2 tiny antenna sockets but for now I'm not comfortable dismantling the mobo.
I also have no idea where the antenna's go to and if I can intercept it somewhere out of the mobo box.

that said, tomorrow I will receive the necessary hardware to build a basic Skycontroller. which also means that hopefully I can give you all an update the day after tomorrow!!

crassus16888
Newcomer

Post by crassus16888 » 15 Oct 2016, 16:12

looking forward to hear more about it! by the way, I think Solaris should know it, hopefully, if he can share it with us...

l.hoornweg
Ready for take off

Post by l.hoornweg » 17 Oct 2016, 09:46

Well than,

Saturday I received all the needed components to build a DIY Skycontroller, I've put it all together en tested it.
the first thing I found out is that the iPega controller doesn't work flawlessly with my iPhone, iOs does recognize the controller, but the Parrot FreeFlight Pro doesn't. after trying several times I gave up and switched to my old Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone. once you've read the manual you will find out the iPega has multiple settings wich difference between the OS that is used.
For Android, you will have to initiate a connection by pressing the HOME and X button simultaneously. the left indicator led will start blinking and the iPega is ready to connect. once you've connected it, you can startup Freeflight Pro and connect the joystick.
usually FFP would autoconfig some buttons, but of course it wouldn't with my G3. A friend has a Note4 there it works perfectly.

setting up the range extender was even a more pain in the ass.
he user interface is simple chinese, of course I'm a master in chinese language :lol: :lol:
after a few attempts with help of youtube it was time to use google translator to kick in.
this you can only use if you have a working internet connection op you device, witch you of course don't have because you've connected your device with the extender by wifi. so in onder to have an internet connection you will have to connect you notebook/desktop via LAN with internet.
after that you can login to the extender by typing in the adres 192.168.31.1 and start google translate.
when done that it was a piece of cookie, just follow the instructions which are in you prefered language now.

when you want to use the extender, you first have to startup your BBP2 -> extender -> connect phone to extender -> connect FFP to you're BBP2.

If everything is configured and done properly, your phone will now use the range extender to connect your BBP2.

In practise.

the real question of course is does it actually work? is it really such an improvement.
Well yea, it really is.
I wasn't able to test much because we where over enthusiastic which resulted in a huge crash (freefall from 80 meters altitude on asphalt)
But in altitude I had an improvement of more than 100 meters!
I've tested several devices, and my Ipad 4 gave a maximum altitude of 93 meters without the extender.
the note4 which we used tot test the extender had a maximum altitude of 40 meters.
with the extender however, we got an altitude of 156 meters!
an impressive 116 meters higher!
this test was on a field in the middle of my neighborhood surrounded with houses and there Wifi signals.

this makes me wonder what the altitude would be in an interference free area.

I wasn't able to test the distance range because of the crash, instead tot going to an area for further testen, I was back home repairing my BBP2.

fortunately the damage was not to bad, the cool fan prop came loose from its housing, quick fix with some glue.
the shock absorbers are all four bend, I will have to order new ones.
the camera came loose because the screws were broken, fixed that with some new screws.
and the props were bend so I'l have to order new ones.

after all I think I was very lucky.

here are some pics about the setup, hopefully next weekend we can test the range.
20161017_060510225_iOS.jpg
20161017_060447888_iOS.jpg
20161017_060321233_iOS.jpg
20161017_060313625_iOS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.