New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Other discussion of non-Parrot drones. 3drobotics, DJI, Team Black Sheep, QAV250, DIY drones... etc.
Shaft
Charged up again
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Build - TBS Discovery :)

Post by Shaft » 19 Jul 2013, 17:27

It will be good to see it fly, very nice build DaZa...
I tried 8in props with my 750 bird dogs and response was cr@p so I am now back on 10 inch props and have the Disco dialled in perfectly.

DaZa
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by DaZa » 20 Jul 2013, 01:12

Shaft wrote:It will be good to see it fly, very nice build DaZa...
I tried 8in props with my 750 bird dogs and response was cr@p so I am now back on 10 inch props and have the Disco dialled in perfectly.
Yeah I'll prob just stick with the 10's and retune for the 4S.

Weather is crap this weekend, no flying for me :(

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 20 Jul 2013, 14:27

Well I got the F450 working again with my original Orange R620 RX and my KK 2.0 board. Fitting in nicely for a nice tight stunt quad.

Fitted a GoPro mount up front for some action shots. Will try and get it off the ground tomorrow providing its not pi$$ing down rain.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 20 Jul 2013, 14:30

And here are some decent pics of the finished TBS Discovery.

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 20 Jul 2013, 15:50

Everyone needs a stunt quad. I just finished converting my HT Flip FPV into a Flip Sport frame. Having a lot of fun with. Ill post pics later.

I'd put some protection on that gopro though when on the f450. Put it in its plastic case. On the discovery, why not get a layer lens.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 30 Jul 2013, 12:40

So an update.

Not much flying happening, the weather has been so crap in Melbourne, the rare days its ok to fly I'm usually busy! :(

But I've just ordered a new Naza-M V2 flight controller for the Disco, will be interesting to see how it compares/feels to the V1 on the same airframe.

I'll put my V1 back in the F450.

Also have a 600TVL FPV camera coming, should arrive soon and that will face up front and the 420TVL currently installed there will be put on the top deck facing backward to get a rear view between the legs so I can get a good idea of orientation. Also got a new cable for the GoPro to hook this up as well and the 3 way RMRC video switch is able to switch between all 3 cameras with a 3 way switch on my Futaba 8J RX.

Also ordered an Eagletree OSD Pro starter kit and a separate altimeter sensor to plug into my FPV system. This has a 100A current sensor, separate GPS sensor and main OSD and flight logger module. The separate altimeter sensor has a very accurate barometer based altimeter sensor which combined with the GPS gives very accurate live altimeter telemetry which is crucial in flying good fast FPV close to the deck! You can add other sensors as well but this is sufficient for my needs. Almost went with the ImmersionRC EzOSD system but due to both a lack of stock anywhere and reports of laggy altimeter info I went with what's been recommended by many FPV fliers.

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 30 Jul 2013, 13:08

Nice! I'll be interested in how you like that OSD. I had an ezOSD but took it out a long time ago because of the wiring mess. I put it back in last month but screwed up the wiring.. I had installed it without the current sensor not realizing the current sensor drops the voltage down to 5 volts before sending it to the ezOSD. I thought the ezOSD like the 600mw 5.8 vtx could take 15 volts... oops.. I got magic smoke. Sent it out for repairs and was recently told its toast. Sucks. But I never really liked it that much anyway. EagleTree is really well regarded. I have their diversity box and its very well built.

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 30 Jul 2013, 14:10

Oh man I don't know if I'd like that, that screen is so cluttered. What sort of flying are you planning on doing, more long distance stuff like ScubaSteve (where the heck is he anyway?) or more proximity stuff like Juz? I think that info will be handy for long distance flying (still too cluttered in my opinion though) but will just get in the way if you do proximity. Just a personal opinion, but I prefer a nice clear display. Build looks great though, and good on getting the 450 flying again!

Shaft
Charged up again
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Shaft » 30 Jul 2013, 14:27

Very clean looking build DaZa, my list of "wants" grows longer but the "needs" will be set at FPV only, this year.
Did you try the Core for OSD?

appelm
Batterys getting low

Post by appelm » 30 Jul 2013, 15:07

I do tend to agree about it being cluttered. Frankly, for a quad all you really need is voltage, maybe mAh, RSSI, and a timer.. The core does all of that. The rest kinda takes your focus away from flying. That OSD would be great on a plane though and I think that's what its really designed for.

That said, I did see an OSD at the meet I went to that was setup on a switch. He could toggle it on, off, and display different data with a 2-way switch (every toggle switched the OSD to another mode). That is nice - turn it on when you want info and off when you just want to fly. Not sure which OSD that was.. Maybe this one can do it.

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 30 Jul 2013, 15:22

Agreed Appelm. I think flying a quad requires different feedback from flying a plane. Planes tend to fly higher and further away, and so you need as much information about the status of your model as possible. Quads on the other hand tend to fly low to the ground and close range, so what you really need with a quad is a large FOV so you can take in as much information about your surroundings as possible. I think that OSD is better suited to a plane. For a quad all you need is some basic information like battery voltage (mAh is nice too) and a couple of nice to haves like altitude (all you need is a number, not a big screen hogging altimiter) and direction to home if you stretch your legs a bit. And even that isn't necessary if you have a Naza, home lock will accomplish the same thing for you.

One you can toggle on and off sounds like the BOBW though, if you have a spare channel to dedicate to it. Seriously though Daza, I'd consider leaving that off for now until you've logged a few hours flying FPV and feel totally comfortable with it. I can see easily getting distracted by that and winding up in a tree.

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 30 Jul 2013, 23:54

Never fear guys.

It's fully customisable, you can turn each bit of data on or off so I'll be turning a lot of that off. The pic is by the manufacturer to show what it can show.

I'll be only using alt, speed, heading, amps and mah and distance and direction to home.

Trust me I have many many hours on proper flight sims flying instrument only and HUD and I have no problem with all that info being presented but agree only the important stuff is needed.

I'm actually finding the lack of alt information a problem flying FPV as I prefer close proximity flying and in particular low alt flying and it's crucial to get good feedback on your sink rate or rate of climb, takes only a second to go from flying to crashing :)

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 31 Jul 2013, 01:36

DaZa wrote:OOOHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYYYY :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now we're cooking... and with gas even :)
Excellent choice jedi!!! What tx/rx are you using?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props

DaZa
I've been hit!!

Post by DaZa » 31 Jul 2013, 03:26

Using a Futaba 8J 8ch TX and a R2008SB RX.

About to install a Naza-M V2, currently running a V1 with it.

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 31 Jul 2013, 03:34

What's the mw on the tx? The quad looks bad ass!

Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk HD
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props