ardrone 1.0 vs. ardonr 2.0

Sharing your information about aviation, RC, FPV, regulations, any story or even complaints to Parrot global services.

Moderator: AR.Tommy

drew80
Made it over nextdoor

ardrone 1.0 vs. ardonr 2.0

Post by drew80 » 08 Apr 2012, 06:43

so i've seen and read some new ardrone 2.0 user reviews and vids and i must say it looks neat when it flips and the video look good and the absolute flight control looks neat also but i must ask, is it really worth going from the original drone to the 2.0? i have been flying my done in roughly 15 km winds lately and i have had pretty good control over my drone. over ten outdoor flights and countless indoor flights and still haven't had to replace a thing and my drone still fly's great every time. i'm using an android phone to fly my done so i haven't had a chance to try the new freeflight app out yet but am looking forward to trying it with my original drone. i know i won't be able to do the flips but not a big loss to me. same as the video. i don't record the vid because i can't seem to get a different app set up right for it. anyways what are the new drone owners thoughts between the two drones. that is if you had the original drone to begin with. is it worth shelling out another 300+ for another drone that can flip and has better video(as long as your into recording vid while you fly)? just curious on other ppls opinions befor i go spend that kind of money on another drone when i love my original drone as it is. thanks for any and all replies. :D

HIdroneflyer
Ready for take off

Re: ardrone 1.0 vs. ardonr 2.0

Post by HIdroneflyer » 09 Apr 2012, 00:07

Honestly this topic is less 1.0 vs. 2.0 and more like a kind of "New Car/iphone/ipod/ipad Envy" type of consumerism question. You have the old model and you are very happy with it. GREAT!! Keep it!! If the new type doesn't JUSTIFY shelling out another $300, then don't do it. :D

This advice comes from a guy who has bought and sold 8 cars over a period of 12 years. :lol: Except till now. Which I no longer have that "new car envy."

Lemme share my story. I discovered the AR Drone for the first time this past February! I was about to buy one until I heard saw the news about a 2.0. I was already "late in the game" for the 1.0 so I decided to wait for news for a 2.0 release. Lo and behold March 6th, pre-orders came up, buuuuuut I bought a 1.0 from Amazon already to at least get familiar with drone flying. Luckily a friend of mine offers to buy my 1.0 when I'm done with it because he's gonna try some crazy GoPro camera crap with it. Win-Win when I got my 2.0 on April 4th. MY GOAL for the 2.0 was to take LIVE VIDEO with the stock camera, the current 1.0 didn't do that (for free anyway) and the camera was very limited. The 2.0 met ALL my criteria perfectly that I couldn't get from the 1.0: Easier handling, sharing video, uploading video, wide-angle lens, etc. etc. Therefore it was the most natural choice to shell out another $300 and sell my 1.0 to my friend. I couldn't be happier.

Everything you can do with the 2.0 can be done with the 1.0 with slight mods or none at all. The AC is a great beginner tool but many 1.0 owners are INSANE pilots too! If you don't care about the video, awesome! I've seen many HD setups for the 1.0 that will blow away the 2.0 camera out of the water. Love your drone, keep your drone, keep on flyin!! I'm...just...sayin!! :geek:

drew80
Made it over nextdoor

Post by drew80 » 09 Apr 2012, 02:44

thanks for the info and the reply. very much appreciated. i will prob wait till next christmas to get myself the new drone. but again thanks for the info and advice.

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 21 Apr 2012, 10:31

Everything I have read about vs 2, is its much safer to fly at much higher altitudes, seems vs 1 all the videos and info say you can only fly to 6 meters safely, any further you risk losing your drone. Vs 2 looks so much better and many are saying it handles better and handles wind better. I am upgrading to vs 2, its simply better, also the new free flight is optimised for vs 2, not vs 1. Just try recording video with vs1 drone and is real bad. Also the vs2 drone looks so much better. love the look of the vs2 drone

hawaiian c
Just flips over

Post by hawaiian c » 23 Apr 2012, 04:51

denodan wrote:Everything I have read about vs 2, is its much safer to fly at much higher altitudes, seems vs 1 all the videos and info say you can only fly to 6 meters safely, any further you risk losing your drone. Vs 2 looks so much better and many are saying it handles better and handles wind better. I am upgrading to vs 2, its simply better, also the new free flight is optimised for vs 2, not vs 1. Just try recording video with vs1 drone and is real bad. Also the vs2 drone looks so much better. love the look of the vs2 drone
I agree but you had to attack the looks huh?? Man judging book/drone by its cover huh?? Lol

miamivice55
Ready for take off

Post by miamivice55 » 28 Apr 2012, 01:47

Waiting to pick up my A.R.DRONE 2.0 at Mohegan Sun Brookstones on 5/6. I presently have four Ar Drone 1.0's all with Macgyver mod's and custom painted hull's, two purchased new,the others bought from frustrated owners not wishing to repair them and scored them cheap. Hoping MACGYVER Mod creator soon offers kit for 2.0 .I have found flying with the R/C greatly increases all aspects of the Drones performance immensly.Once you have gotten past the learning curve and can break down and repair it on your own flying them becomes a pleasure.Hoping with the updated camera and added stability of the drone 2.0 I will be able to enjoy the video capabilty of it. Flying it however, regardless of the Version is best experienced with the Macgyver mod attached,Cant wait! 8-)

denodan
Made it over nextdoor

Post by denodan » 28 Apr 2012, 02:13

I don't see your reasoning to have 4, and also buying the AR Drone 2.0, making it five you own. Flying with the Macgyver may well fly better, but lacks the enjoyment of flying and seeing on screen what's going on, that makes it more enjoyable then an RC mod in my opnion.

I have a Blade MQX, and is a RC Quad copter, and while it's fun flying and flys a lot better then the AR Drone, it's not as fun, as you cannot see on screen what's going on.

The flying experence and getting the most out of the AR Drone will be better of course with the RC mod, and like the Blade MQX will be faster, and a much better response of the controls, but lacks the fun factor using an ipad/ipod, or android device gives, and the fun factor is viewing onscreen while flying, therefore a much more deeper flying experence.

There is nothing better then being able to fly, and viewing what your drone is also seeing in real time on screen, this is much better then just flying and seeing nothing.

I also have a Blade450, while I love it and love to fly, the experence of flying is much better I think using the Ipad just looking on screen and flying is the much better experience I feel, sure you lose the best performance, but you gain the most fun using ipad, or android device.

I look at it this way, to fly and get the best out of the AR Drone the RC mode is great and a good experence, but the fun factor of seeing on screen while flying is fun and mind blowing and adds a lot to the experience of flying. Not only do you get to see the AR Drone in flight from your prospective, but from the prospective of the camera also, and the RC mod misses out from the AR Drones camera prospective.

Sure you can use the USB and take live video, but is not the same as the experience in real time.

ToeJam
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by ToeJam » 06 May 2013, 03:24

hi I had just won a v.10 on ebay for $74.00 and have flown it a little and have noticed my friends videos do look better then mine on the v 2.0 and mine has more flight problems when it comes to the wind.were I have paid so little for mine I will keep practicing with the 1.0 until I gat good at it and then move up too the 2.0 or what ever is the newest drone at the time .im having a fun time with this already and cant wait to see what the future drones have to offer.i also run mine from the kindle fire on the freeflight app and it does record the flights.

Vstolferre
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Airborne Night

Post by Vstolferre » 13 Dec 2014, 15:33

It’s really great posts.

Return to “General - Parrot / New Products / Info / Story / Complaints”