tbrennan97
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drone Identification

Post by tbrennan97 » 21 Nov 2018, 13:53

Hi There,

A few friends and i are currently working on a project that would only allow the drone to be operated by specified users which are registered to that drone. otherwise the drone will not function. would this be something that people would be interested in? since we see drones as expensive investments (many used in different businesses across the world) this would help eliminate theft or damage to the drone via an untrained pilot operating the equipment. please let me know what you guys think

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: Drone Identification

Post by waterlanding » 22 Nov 2018, 01:31

tbrennan97 wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 13:53
Hi There,

A few friends and i are currently working on a project that would only allow the drone to be operated by specified users which are registered to that drone. otherwise the drone will not function. would this be something that people would be interested in? since we see drones as expensive investments (many used in different businesses across the world) this would help eliminate theft or damage to the drone via an untrained pilot operating the equipment. please let me know what you guys think
Why not simple add a password to your drone and only users with that password will be able to connect? That function is already built in.

Also, I registered my drone with the FAA, put the hull numbers on it - with a second label stating
"If found, please return to: cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX; text: XXX-XXX-XXXX.

After a fly-away, the FAA registration will make a thief think twice, and contact info is always necessary to get a lost drone back. With the password set, the finder won't be able to fly it anyway.

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 24 Nov 2018, 08:14

Random Fun Fact: In Germany you have to provide your contact details on a fire resistant plate by law when the drone (or any model airplane) weights more than 250g.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

epaun
Newcomer
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by epaun » 23 Dec 2018, 00:07

AR.Tommy wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 08:14
Random Fun Fact: In Germany you have to provide your contact details on a fire resistant plate by law when the drone (or any model airplane) weights more than 250g.
in spain we are the same

tbrennan97
Newcomer

Post by tbrennan97 » 04 Jan 2019, 17:26

with our technology we would be able to identify a specific user that was operating the drone at anytime. with a password if this is shared amongst users there is no way to identify who was actually using the drone at that certain time. we believe this will help with issues like demonstrated at gatwick airport. also against theft that if the user is not approved it will not function

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 04 Jan 2019, 22:22

Any details on that technology or just "trust me"?
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

tbrennan97
Newcomer

Post by tbrennan97 » 06 Jan 2019, 03:30

cant really give too much detail away but it is a similar technology to fingerprint scanning but much more secure. we believe it with conjunction to the FAA registration would completely eliminate theft of drones and would also be able to tell flight paths of users which would help in security threats created by drones. sorry about not being able to fully explain just we are trying to protect the idea!

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by waterlanding » 06 Jan 2019, 17:41

tbrennan97 wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 03:30
cant really give too much detail away but it is a similar technology to fingerprint scanning but much more secure. we believe it with conjunction to the FAA registration would completely eliminate theft of drones and would also be able to tell flight paths of users which would help in security threats created by drones. sorry about not being able to fully explain just we are trying to protect the idea!
The only problems EVER caused by hobby drones are caused by operators not following the (rather strict) rules provided by the FAA. Why would a drone operator with bad intentions ever use your firmware or app? There's plenty of alternate software out there. Personally I don't look forward to the government monitoring my hobby and imposing even more Draconian rules on where and how I fly it. If people want to break the law, they'll find a way. The last thing we need is more regulation.