Natakl
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Operational Range

Post by Natakl » 13 Oct 2018, 20:10

Hello drone enthusiasts!

I'm completely new to this hobby, only started researching it this week. I understand how they work, apart from one thing, and I was hoping you might know and would like to share.
I am confused by the specification "operational range" that I see in almost every drone that I researched so far. I understand that it's relevant for RPA drones, but why do they matter for UAV? If I program a drone to fly to a certain location, it should be able to fly in that direction as far as the battery holds, regardless of how far away from me it is, correct?

Kind Regards
Fellow noob enthusiast

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Operational Range

Post by AR.Tommy » 16 Oct 2018, 06:42

Hello,

this depends on the software and drone model. For example some drones are forced to stay in wifi range.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

waterlanding
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by waterlanding » 19 Oct 2018, 17:47

There are also country-by-country regulations for how far away you can operate a drone legally. It the US, the legal operational range is Line-of-Sight according to the FAA... ;)

dries_w
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by dries_w » 21 Oct 2018, 11:25

Natakl wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 20:10
. . . . . . . If I program a drone to fly to a certain location, it should be able to fly in that direction as far as the battery holds, regardless of how far away from me it is, correct?. . . . . .
Correct, when you use FFpro with FlightPlan or similair software. So @AR.Tommy is correct when he say its depending on software and drone you use, with my addition: the batterylife. :-)
BB2 since december 2015 - iPhoine - Xiaomi WiFi extender - allways latest updates