Login to disable ads!

Super Expensive Mobius mount for AR Drone

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super Expensive Mobius mount for AR Drone

Post by Ruyton » 26 Sep 2013, 15:17

OK, not that expensive at all :D

Just playing around with my new Mobius Action Camera on the newly airworthy AR Drone 2.0

Flying with the standard 1000 mAh battery, no Flight Recorder and no Parrot hull skins, the all up weight is less than flying with the normal hull and the flight recorder. The foam block is to try to reduce the amount of drone visible in shot and I thought that mounting it that high might upset the drone, but it seems to fly OK. The video look good, compressing at the moment for upload to YouTube.

Two bent paperclips and some rubber bands - quite sufficient for a gentle hovering flight ;)

Flight Recorder = 31g

Mobius Action Cam = 39g

Hull stickers =19g

And whats more, you can lift the hull off without removing the camera!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Re: Super Expensive Mobius mount for AR Drone

Post by Ruyton » 26 Sep 2013, 17:49

Top tip for the day - don't put the Mobius cam above the GPS Flight Recorder.

I was expecting some degradation of the GPS signal with the Mobius on top of the hull, what happened made me jump a little. GPS lock was giving me 2m accuracy before takeoff without the hull and camera. Once airborne, the accuracy dropped to 15m and the drone twitched and set off backwards. I wasn't very high and I caught it using manual control and landed quickly.

I removed the power then the Flight Recorder and flew without it and had no problems.

I must admit that I'm going off the Flight Recorder a little. If you aren't using the GPS navigation mode then you are not getting much of an advantage for that extra 31 grams. I don't really know how the GPS is interacting with the drone, but I have had a few odd situations, including the drone accelerating rapidly way back to the takeoff point when I was using director mode.

The quality of the video from the Mobius is quite staggering and stills from the video are very crisp. Very happy with my GBP60 purchase :D (would have been cheaper ordering from China, but I preferred the quicker delivery from JooVuu in the UK).
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

AKCobra
Charged up again

Post by AKCobra » 26 Sep 2013, 20:13

Yeah I did some testing with my Mobius and my GPS on the Witespy, and the mobius didn't really bother it much unless I held it directly over the GPS. In most cases you will mount the camera underneath well below the GPS so I don't think the Mobius will cause much of an issue as long as you keep it down away from the GPS. I had both cameras running on my Witespy once and still managed to get a GPS lock no problem.

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 26 Sep 2013, 21:55

Thanks for that AK, yes my Mobius was right over the top of the GPS Flight Recorder.

Just in case anybody is worried about my elastic band contraption, this was only to allow a quick test of the camera rather than being a permanent solution :lol:

In the back of my mind the Mobius is for a Blade 350 QX, but we'll have to see about that! Meanwhile I'll have a go at a lightweight mount to go under the drone.

The Mobius test video is here - hardly exciting viewing but gives an idea of the performance. Note that the quality is reduced to the highest standard that YouTube will display so the original is better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jNBP8v ... 8KAJBovOHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Gimpdiggity
Just flips over

Post by Gimpdiggity » 26 Sep 2013, 23:51

Video looks good!!!

I was thinking of grabbing one and making a foam mount for the bottom to get some better downward angled shots.

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 27 Sep 2013, 13:25

A better video of the Mobius Action Cam on top of the AR Drone. A short clip from another video with the drone at about 20m.

http://youtu.be/88O1KC8Eh7c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 27 Sep 2013, 16:26

Mobius mount Mk 2 - good old Lego.

I was a bit worried about putting additional weight forward of the CofG but a brief flight test was fine. The camera was pointing too far down, so a minor adjustment made which should do the trick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Musicman
Strange wobble

Post by Musicman » 27 Sep 2013, 16:44

that looks good actually! was thinking about getting that camera.
It's a crazy feeling we can't control, the sound of freedom called Rock N Roll!

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 30 Sep 2013, 09:18

MK 3, a much better solution.

With the camera mounted under the nose of the drone, although it flew OK, you could hear the front motors working harder and they also got hotter than the rear motors. With the camera mounted under the body the motors sound much less stressed. Flown with and without the GPS Flight Recorder and all OK, although the additional weight of the FR doesn't really offer much advantage and you can hear the motors working harder. When I fly with the Mobius, I'll probably leave the flight recorder off.

I'm just uploading a drone/Mobius comparison video and I'll post the link when it's available.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 30 Sep 2013, 11:15

Dude builds his camera mounts with lego's and rubber bands :shock:

So awesome I can't stand it :mrgreen:
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 30 Sep 2013, 11:35

I tell you, this is cutting edge stuff :lol:

I'm sure you could do the same thing in carbon fibre with titanium fixings - and the video would look just the same :D

Just working out the eBay listing wording:

- precision crafted highly durable plastic lightweight frame

- adjustable rubber shock mounting

- simple adjustment for camera angle

- extensive flight testing to fine-tune design

- ensures that AR Drone centre of gravity is maintained

- does not affect operation of ultrasound sensors or downward facing camera

I could go on all day :shock:
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 30 Sep 2013, 12:26

OK, here's a drove v Mobius compare video - not brilliant quality I'm afraid, something to do with playing 2 videos at the same time and doing a screen capture.

AR Drone is at the top and Mobius at the bottom. The Mobius is slightly wider angel and higher quality.

http://youtu.be/6A_xi6O4EXA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the Mobius video by itself to give an idea of quality. You can just see the bottom of the drone nose at the top of the video.

http://youtu.be/9et0qPPTIt4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ruyton on 30 Sep 2013, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 30 Sep 2013, 13:25

Man ... that comparison really shows how funky the white balance is on the drone huh?

I like the results on that mobius... awesome stuff for the price for sure :ugeek:
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 15 Oct 2013, 12:28

FINALLY - some decent weather with calm winds :D

Mobius mount Mk 3 flown with and without the GPS Flight Recorder. It would appear that my original battery had just about had it as although it charges to 100%, the charge drops rapidly giving me a 5 minute flight to the 15% battery warning. My second battery is fine though, giving me 8 minutes to 25%.

I'm not sure the Flight Recorder is really adding much - other than dead weight, as I don't need it to record the video, I'm flying manually and Drone Academy isn't recording any flights since the last update :shock:

As the drone holds position fairly well at 20 to 30m without the Flight Recorder, especially in the low wind conditions that I fly, I'll leave it of and gain a bit of flight time.

I'm very happy with the quality of frame captures from the video too, they look very sharp.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 15 Oct 2013, 17:59

Ah, hover at 20m and above without the GPS flight module results in the drone drifting and therefore you have to keep your eye on it. With the Flight Recorder, although the drone moves around a little, it's always trying to stay in one place so I'm much more comfortable taking my eys off it.

Plan 'B', fly with the GPS FR but without the hull - best compromise I think ;)
Gary - Shrewsbury UK