Are these batteries stuffed

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Clive_fox
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are these batteries stuffed

Post by Clive_fox » 01 Dec 2018, 11:51

Have just bought a new Skycontroller which I suspect had been on the shelf for some time as it is a red one which I like the colour. Went to charge the batteries, it came with 2, and on one of the batteries did not register on the charger IE there is no light. The other one starts off solid red for a few seconds and then blinks red. I measured the output of that one that blinks and it shows just over 2v. I tried to measure the individual cells but get either 0v or the total voltage, approx.2v. The other one I could not get a reading of the separate cells.

I am assuming they are both stuffed but was thinking I could charge them with my normal charger but will go back to the store to see if can get 2 new ones.

waterlanding
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: Are these batteries stuffed

Post by waterlanding » 01 Dec 2018, 13:55

The red Skycontroller uses Bebop 1 batteries, which have a bit of a reputation for this sort of problem. A lot of Bebop owners have found themselves with bad batteries right out of the box. Return them. They can't be fixed.

If the output is much below 9 volts, the battery is toast. Bebop batteries are 3-cell Lipos (Lithium Polymer). Discharging a Lipo cell below 3 volts will permanently damage it. You need new batteries.

DO NOT put lipo batteries on a "normal charger" or you'll be at serious risk of explosion, fire, and of course damaging the battery further. Lipo batteries can only be charged with what's called a "Balanced Charger" such as Parrot provides.

Clive_fox
Ready for take off

Post by Clive_fox » 01 Dec 2018, 20:57

Thanks it confirms what I thought. I will go back to the shop and get new ones.
Another option would be to use one of my many 3S lipos and make up an adapter for the Skycontroller plug - should not be too difficult and that way I can use my good charger and balance charge.

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 01 Dec 2018, 23:48

Clive_fox wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 20:57
Thanks it confirms what I thought. I will go back to the shop and get new ones.
Another option would be to use one of my many 3S lipos and make up an adapter for the Skycontroller plug - should not be too difficult and that way I can use my good charger and balance charge.
I'd recommend it. A lot of us use 3rd party chargers. Your batteries will last longer and you'll get more flight time. :)

Clive_fox
Ready for take off

Post by Clive_fox » 09 Dec 2018, 04:34

I managed to get both to charge to 12.6v and will store them at around 50% capacity. What I do not know is how they will perform under load

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 09 Dec 2018, 13:28

Clive_fox wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 04:34
I managed to get both to charge to 12.6v and will store them at around 50% capacity. What I do not know is how they will perform under load
Yea, keep the drone over a safe recovery area and keep your eye on the battery telemetry. It may discharged quite suddenly. Good luck!

larry31
Ready for take off

Post by larry31 » 10 Dec 2018, 04:39

WaterLanding said... "Lipo batteries can only be charged with what's called a "Balanced Charger" such as Parrot provides."

I have a Bebop (White) and due to a couple of returns to Parrot service, I've accumulated 2 extra white batteries.
My original bebop was red, and I have it's red battery as well as the 2 white ones.
( All are marked as Lithium-Ion Polymer.)

The original Bebop was bought from Amazon.com, last December 2017.
The 2 white replacements were sent to me during this year. (2018)

Is it safe, to use the included Parrot charger, that came with the original drone, or the chargers that came with the replacements, to charge any of the 3 batteries?
I try to keep them all around 50% when not using them.

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 10 Dec 2018, 13:31

larry31 wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 04:39
WaterLanding said... "Lipo batteries can only be charged with what's called a "Balanced Charger" such as Parrot provides."

I have a Bebop (White) and due to a couple of returns to Parrot service, I've accumulated 2 extra white batteries.
My original bebop was red, and I have it's red battery as well as the 2 white ones.
( All are marked as Lithium-Ion Polymer.)

The original Bebop was bought from Amazon.com, last December 2017.
The 2 white replacements were sent to me during this year. (2018)

Is it safe, to use the included Parrot charger, that came with the original drone, or the chargers that came with the replacements, to charge any of the 3 batteries?
I try to keep them all around 50% when not using them.
Parrot's been shipping out some Power Edition batteries instead of "regular". Look for the max voltage listed on both the batteries' and chargers' labels. 12.6 volts output means an original battery/charger. 13.2 volts is a PE battery/charger.

You can safely charge either battery on the lower voltage original charger, but you won't quite get a 100% charge on the PE battery. You can NOT use a PE charger on a regular battery.

larry31
Ready for take off

Post by larry31 » 10 Dec 2018, 14:50

All 3 batteries labeled.... 2700 mAh, 29.97 Wh, 11.1V, 21.6A continuous Discharge, and Charge at 3.5A Max
The Chargers are.... Class-2, Model CHA076001, and Output 12.6V 3.5A.
Are these balanced chargers?

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 10 Dec 2018, 22:49

larry31 wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 14:50
All 3 batteries labeled.... 2700 mAh, 29.97 Wh, 11.1V, 21.6A continuous Discharge, and Charge at 3.5A Max
The Chargers are.... Class-2, Model CHA076001, and Output 12.6V 3.5A.
Are these balanced chargers?
You're all set then. Your newer "white" batteries and charger are regular Bebop 2 batteries (not Power edition), and completely compatable with your older "red" battery and charger. Any of your batteries will work in either charger. :)

And yes, the Parrot OEM charger is a balanced charger. Both your old and new one will work just fine with any of your batteries. :)

larry31
Ready for take off

Post by larry31 » 11 Dec 2018, 03:42

Thanks WaterLanding, appreciate the clarification. There's a lot of opinions out there about how to charge batteries, amount of charge to leave on one when not using it for a while, etc.
Hard to sort through good, and bad info.