Question about acquired Bebop 2

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Neozy
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about acquired Bebop 2

Post by Neozy » 11 Jun 2018, 20:59

Hey all!
I joined today since I am in a bit of a debate whether or not this is a good idea.
Recently picked up a bebop 2 drone that was used as a display model (all internal connectors were severed) and the model was no longer in use as the store closed down. I have soldered all new wires so internally the drone is fine. It did come with a battery but its only reading around 2-3v and I have no charger for the drone nor the money to get one right now but I want to test if the drone will at least power on (no flying) and was wondering if its safe enough to wire 3 li-ion 18650's (I have those on hand but not a li-po charger) in parallel to make the 11.1v the drone requires to power up and just turn on the drone to see if it does power up?
Thanks!

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Question about acquired Bebop 2

Post by AR.Tommy » 12 Jun 2018, 05:12

Hello,

while it would be enough to power up the Bebop and probably provide the video stream, I'm pretty sure it will not provide enough current drawn to fly. The Bebop 2 uses a 2700 mAh battery with a current drawn of 22A.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

Neozy
Newcomer

Post by Neozy » 12 Jun 2018, 13:12

Thanks! At this moment, any sign of life would be a sign that I can put some money into getting the battery a proper charger. The lipo's are quite discharged but they are not 0v on any of the 3 cells so I may have to trickle them from their 1.39v (per cell) to get a charger to recognize the battery again.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 12 Jun 2018, 13:29

How did you measure this? Usually cells should be between 3.7V and 4.2V. I'm sure the cell is dead with only 1.4V
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

Neozy
Newcomer

Post by Neozy » 12 Jun 2018, 14:16

EDIT: The cells are now hanging around 3.4v but measuring from the pins that connect to the drone 2v after a slow-charge with my D2.
Good news on the side! Drone powered up with the 3 18650's and did a firmware update and powered up successfully! Now just got to revive the battery carefully. I may use the trick of a Ni-Mh charger (my Nitecore D2) and get it above the threshold that a charger will recognize at a slow and steady 100mA.