Virtualbox Setup Guide

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
daveyoi
Ready for take off

Virtualbox Setup Guide

Post by daveyoi » 13 Sep 2010, 23:39

Here is a small guide to getting an Ubuntu guest running on a mac (or Windows) using Virtualbox.
  1. Download Virtualbox for your intended host machine.
  2. Download the 32bit* version of Ubuntu
  3. To start the guest setup wizard hit the New Icon once Virtualbox is loaded - the following settings are just a guide please adjust to suit your setup.
    • Name - Ubuntu
    • OS - Linux
    • Version - Ubuntu
    • Base Memory - 512mb
  4. Hard Disk Creation - Ensure the tick is in Boot Hard Disk and select create new hard disk - press continue to start the wizard.
    • Dynamic storage growth
    • Location - This will create a file in ../Virtualbox/HardDisks/ with the name specified (by default the name you used for the guest in step 3)
    • 8GB - Again personal preference here and depends on the space available on your machine.
    • Press continue and confirm the settings to complete the setup.
You should now have an Ubuntu guest setup within Virtual box which is in Powered Off status, before we power it up we need to mount the ISO we downloaded.
  1. Click the settings icon and then the Storage Menu Item.
  2. In the list on the left you should see your previously created SATA hard disk and above that an IDE Controller with an Empty Disk underneath.
  3. Select the empty disk and click the folder to right of the CD/Devices dropdown to open the Virtual Media Manager.
  4. Click add and navigate to the downloaded ISO - hit ok and it will be added to the mounted list. Finish by hitting the Select button from the VMM and then ok in the Storage Settings.
We now need to create a bridged connection to the airport on the mac.
  1. Click the settings icon and then the Network menu item.
  2. Change Attached to from NAT to Bridged Adapter and select en1: Airport as the name.
We will now boot up the Virtual machine and install the ISO.
  1. Hit the Start button.
  2. After a small wait you will be presented with the Ubuntu install wizard. Select the Install button and follow the install steps to completion.
  3. Once installed you will reach a splash screen that asks you to remove the disk - Click on the disc icon on the bottom of the window and select unmount CD/Drive - this will remove the ISO mount. Press Enter.
  4. You should now boot into the newly installed OS.
  5. Log in and perform the updates and restart
Thats it the OS is ready to go.

PS3 Controller setup
  1. Plug in your PS3 Controller using the USB cable.
  2. From the Virtualbox Guest Launcher press Settings and then Ports.
  3. Click the Add USB filter icon with the + and select the PS3 controller from the list.
  4. Done.
Bridging the IP address on a Mac Host
  1. Ensure your Network adapter is setup as Bridged Adapter and mapped to the Airport.
  2. Boot up the OS.
  3. Connect your Airport to the Drone (you may have to unpair the drone from your iPhone by hitting the button under the chassis)
  4. Ensure the Airport is connected and should have an IP address of 192.168.1.2
  5. On the Ubuntu OS : System - > Preferences -> Network Connections
  6. Highlight the wired connection (default Auto eth0) and select Edit.
  7. Click IPv4 Settings and change method to Manual then click Add.
    • Address - 192.168.1.2
    • Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    • Gateway - 192.168.1.1
  8. Done.

Symon
Site Admin
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Re: Virtualbox Setup Guide

Post by Symon » 13 Sep 2010, 23:44

You just keep on giving.

Thats people helping people. :D

P.S. Stickied.

looner
Up and hovering

Post by looner » 14 Sep 2010, 15:02

VirtualBox is such an awesome tool. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3. Do any other controllers work with it?

Also, do you need the iPhone SDK in order to control the drone from a computer?

daveyoi
Ready for take off

Post by daveyoi » 14 Sep 2010, 16:27

The SDK comes with support for Logitech gamepads also and could probably be hacked to support others.

You need the Iphone SDK if you want to compile the iPhone examples which extend the SDK but the raw SDK is C so can be compiled on any platform.

I put a walkthrough up geting the Linux Examples running on Ubuntu if it helps!

GreenTwig
Ready for take off

Post by GreenTwig » 23 Oct 2010, 04:16

I used VMware Workstation 7.1 running a VM of Ubuntu 10.10 to get this up and going. Thanks again for "daveyoi" for the SDK Example Walkthrough directions :mrgreen:

TVH7
Ready for take off

Post by TVH7 » 24 Jan 2011, 20:07

Sorry ,
This is only for linux ?? ore is this also for windows users?

kritarthjain
Newcomer

Post by kritarthjain » 22 Feb 2011, 19:58

Hi

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 guest on Virtualbox on a Mac OS X host to connect to the AR Drone (exactly as your setup described above).

I follow all the steps suggested by you in terms of doing a bridged adapter mapped to the Airport.

On running the example code in the SDK, I am able to ping to the drone, use the joystick to start it and move it around. HOWEVER, I am unable to receive an video feed from the cameras or feedback from the Drone regarding its positions.
So control is working but video feed is not.

Any ideas/suggestions to fix this?

I am thinking this is a port number issue, since the ARDrone sends the info on a given port number, but virtualbox does not do an exact translation of the port numbers. (That's just my reasoning)
I tried to set the port numbers manually as well for numbers 5554 to 5559. Though I have been trying different combinations, nothing is working.
So any idea what's the exact way of doing this port translation to get the video feed from the Drone. Or if there is another way to get this all setup and working.

Thanks in advance.

Eagle02
Ready for take off

Post by Eagle02 » 05 Dec 2011, 18:16

kritarthjain wrote:Hi

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 guest on Virtualbox on a Mac OS X host to connect to the AR Drone (exactly as your setup described above).

I follow all the steps suggested by you in terms of doing a bridged adapter mapped to the Airport.

On running the example code in the SDK, I am able to ping to the drone, use the joystick to start it and move it around. HOWEVER, I am unable to receive an video feed from the cameras or feedback from the Drone regarding its positions.
So control is working but video feed is not.

Any ideas/suggestions to fix this?

I am thinking this is a port number issue, since the ARDrone sends the info on a given port number, but virtualbox does not do an exact translation of the port numbers. (That's just my reasoning)
I tried to set the port numbers manually as well for numbers 5554 to 5559. Though I have been trying different combinations, nothing is working.
So any idea what's the exact way of doing this port translation to get the video feed from the Drone. Or if there is another way to get this all setup and working.

Thanks in advance.
I'd say check your Ubuntu host for a firewall that might be blocking those ports. Obviously, the Drone can send fine since your phone is working still for video.

kadrra
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by kadrra » 01 Apr 2013, 15:46

great post .and just go and buy a ps3 controller i may try this and see what happens