Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Australia
rcpilot
Chased the cat

Re: Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Post by rcpilot » 05 Jan 2011, 02:46

I was told only certain Telstra shops will sell them.

it's on order only so they dont carry stock but can get them in for you.

Phonezone have them but only selling what they get in and thats it.

Easier to get a drone from

http://astore.amazon.com/ardroaus-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techdag
Ready for take off

Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Post by techdag » 05 Jan 2011, 22:38

My Wife and I just got back from a nice two week Christmas holiday on the Coffs Coast in NSW.

We decided to pop into Coffs Harbour itself on Boxing day for the post Christmas sales.

They have a regional electronics store similar (and just as big) as Harvey Norman and JB HiFi, called WOW Sight & Sound..

Walking through the store, my mouth dropped when I saw not one, but five AR.Drones on display, FOR SALE. I want one for parts, but the wife refused the $340 needed to buy one. O well..

Never the less, I tried speaking to a sales rep about them, they told me they had only just started selling them and had no idea about parts etc.

I'm not sure how many of these WOW stores there are, or even where they are, but at least there is another retailer in Australia selling them...

Onwards and upwards we go...

Brett

_DrifteR_
Ready for take off

Post by _DrifteR_ » 07 Jan 2011, 00:18

I'm from Brisbane and got mine from a Telstra store. I heard the online Telstra store was selling them also. I originally called Fone Zone and a guy there looked at stock in other FZ and Telstra stores via his computer, while I waited on the phone. Give them a call and see. Perhaps ring the Fone Zone HQ in your area.

Hope that helps.

MrDystopia
Just flips over

Post by MrDystopia » 15 Feb 2011, 14:21

Adelaide Drone flyer here. Anyone else in town?

I'm loving the drone, and pretty impressed with the WiFi control. I was worried I'd have problems as my work is swamped in WiFi (and I'm about to roll out 40 more Cisco APS!) but the drone has no problems holding it's own and I've had no drop outs or any problems at all!

If only I could tell my GF I bought one.. then I might be able to take it home too!

(ohh and I bought mine from WOW. Fast shipping, very happy.)

Scotte
Battery Charged

Post by Scotte » 11 Mar 2011, 05:28

Brisbane AR Drone Aero Club
Hi,
We have started Brisbane AR Drone Aero Club on facebook for anyone interested in AR Drone Mods and personal videos plus Club events coming soon to the Brisbane area.

If anyone in Australia interested please visit: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane- ... 52?sk=wall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look forward to input and ideas for events.

If popularity grows we will look at putting on events at Outdoor and Indoor locations.

Cheers,
Scotte

Scotte
Battery Charged

Post by Scotte » 11 Mar 2011, 05:31

_DrifteR_ wrote:I'm from Brisbane and got mine from a Telstra store. I heard the online Telstra store was selling them also. I originally called Fone Zone and a guy there looked at stock in other FZ and Telstra stores via his computer, while I waited on the phone. Give them a call and see. Perhaps ring the Fone Zone HQ in your area.

Hope that helps.
Hey Drifter,
I am located in Brisbane and if your keen to catch up send us a message.

So far I have two other AR drone pilots in Brisbane as well.

Scotte

Scotte
Battery Charged

Post by Scotte » 11 Mar 2011, 05:44

JaffaDave wrote:G'day all,

I'm yet to find any Telstra stores that stock them. The 3 I went to looked at me as if i had 2 heads when i asked about the AR Drone. I live in Narre Warren South, Melbourne. Where are these available?????????????????????????
Hi,
I got mine from WOW sight and sound they had 6 instock, I recommend giving your local store a call first.

Scotte

furnibird
Newcomer

Post by furnibird » 31 Mar 2011, 21:28

Hi all got my drone from EB Games 8-) they stock all spares ect.
I am located in Camden syd NSW are there any clubs or good places to fly in my area ? The parks are great but would like to meet other drone owners.

What i have learnt so far for Oz drones.

AR Drone and parts. http://www.ebgames.com.au/search?title=ar+drone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longer Flight. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... _500wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoother ride. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1604wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoother Video (still waiting for item) review here.
Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/p9jZrS6JQUM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 3374wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Android Control. Androflight :lol:
Darren.

MrDystopia
Just flips over

Post by MrDystopia » 01 Apr 2011, 02:31

Hey JaffaDave, I got the same response when I called looking for the Drones. Teh guy at teh other end has less than no clue. Though I wanted a Bluetooth headset or something!!

I bought mine from WOW site and Sound, you'll find a link somewhere. Cheaper than EB Games. Though I think EB Games will be the best bet for spare parts.

So to sum up.

Telstra shops - clueless idiots who wouldnt know a drone from a blutooth headset if shoved where sun dont shine
EB Games - cashing in a a new fad and charging liek a wounded bull much like they do for everything else fun
Wow Sights & Sound - Fast delivery, great price, makes you a happy camper
Amazon and other online sources - some dodgy stories coming out, buyer beware, high shipping costs and broken bits a possibility

oh and here is the link.. aren't I nice!

https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc/home.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

furnibird
Newcomer

Post by furnibird » 01 Apr 2011, 04:06

MrDystopia wrote: I bought mine from WOW site and Sound, you'll find a link somewhere. Cheaper than EB Games. Though I think EB Games will be the best bet for spare parts.

EB Games - cashing in a a new fad and charging liek a wounded bull much like they do for everything else fun
I think you will find they are the same price $350 and i didnt have to wait as they had one in store. Parts take a few days but very cheap and easy to deal with.

MrDystopia
Just flips over

Post by MrDystopia » 01 Apr 2011, 05:13

EB were $399 last I checked... and now they're $349 .. just pays to look before you type! I'm glad they brought it down to match.

(Edited to stop me looking like a complete dick)

furnibird
Newcomer

Post by furnibird » 01 Apr 2011, 05:56

Yer the price only just came down a few weeks back. Got mine for $300 as a family member works there. 8-) . I do like how cheap the parts are just stocked up on few just so i dont have to wait.

aircat
Newcomer

Post by aircat » 03 Apr 2011, 03:03

Anyone having Wifi probs since downloading the latest update for free Flight? Most of flights no curtailed after v short time due to connection dropping out. Also takes several reconnections of battery to get the 4 green LEDS again?
Any suggs?
I notice another App called Power Flight - anoyone using this?

MrDystopia
Just flips over

Post by MrDystopia » 04 Apr 2011, 00:17

You might want to ask your questions in a new post, or in a topic about apps :)

(and if you're curious about what I'm using/.. check the sig. Though I use Flight Record for my day to day flying.)

BrundleFly
Ready for take off

Post by BrundleFly » 04 Apr 2011, 01:54

Hello. I'm in Perth, also, looks like we've got a gang over here. I'm very curious about the mounting of GoPros there, Josh, as I've had little joy with attaching the cam in such a way that the bird can still fly reasonably true... Even the 28 gram DV005 minicam compromises steering somewhat. I HAVE had a dicky motor, though, and how much that affected things I'll find out when my new motors finally arrive (was supposed to be last week). Also one of the HD keyring cams (the #11) is apparently en route and they shoot amazing vid for a 15g camera. I find I bend rotor shafts a lot and I think a slightly bent shaft still allows you to fly but in my case slowly mangled the internal drive shaft in the motor.

So yeah, Josh, tell us how your GoPro set up goes and do you have any video?

And hey RC pilot. Where'd you get your bearings? I got 2x5x3 from RCHobbies in Stirling Street. With these I can put one in on top but have to keep a bush on the bottom or the shaft isn't long enough to circlip on the rotor. Awaiting parts to test this set-up properly. From many hours' flying, I've noticed that the top bush IS the one that gets the hardest time/bored out.

Cheers!