Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Australia
techdag
Ready for take off

Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Post by techdag » 28 Oct 2010, 13:51

Hey guys,

Big thank you to Symon for getting the country specific forums up and running..

Well, as this is the first post in here, let me introduce myself.

My name is Brett, I live in Campbelltown, NSW, about 70km south west of Sydney..

I am looking forward to getting flying days organized, so pop in here and say hi.

Brett

rogueqd
Up and hovering

Re: Welcome to the AR.Drone Aussie Forum!

Post by rogueqd » 29 Oct 2010, 11:43

Hi Brett,

I'm hanging out in the forums until I get my replacement main board, lol.

I'm not sure I'll be making it down to Campbelltown any time soon, but maybe we could all meet up in Newtown as it's near the city and I think there's two guys from there already. I'd love to try some multi-player stuff when some apps come out for it. :)

rcpilot
Chased the cat

Post by rcpilot » 29 Oct 2010, 13:24

Welcome fellows Aussies

I'm in Perth

Make sure your mainboard has had the BGA chips covered with epoxy around the edges

This is a common problem

Also good to replace the brass bushes with 2x5x2mm bearings

sonic
Newcomer

Post by sonic » 10 Nov 2010, 04:29

I'm in Perth, West Australia too.

I have an orange/yellow drone and a friend has an orange/blue drone.

The yellow one has already had to have a motor replaced, arrived with the problem and it was too much mucking about to return it under warranty. At least the motor replacement was pretty straightforward.

refgee79
Newcomer

Post by refgee79 » 30 Nov 2010, 01:53

I was all excited about getting one as a Chrissy present after seeing a segment about it on a current affairs show.
But after having read the forums about the seemingly common elevate-out-of-control issue, I'm inclined to believe that it's an unfinished product.
How have your experiences been so far?
Maybe there's so much electronic interference in the States?

rogueqd
Up and hovering

Post by rogueqd » 30 Nov 2010, 02:22

Even though I've had a few dramas, I would still say buying a drone has been a good experience.

I can see why you'd consider it an unfinished product, although I think about it more as version 1.0, with some bug fixes still required. I don't think anything computer related ever comes out without some bugs there days, that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

Get one, but shop around, it looks like importing them may still be cheaper than buying locally. When it arrives, fly it with caution and experiment slowly. Think of it more like a high-tech RC heli than a fun kids play thing, the foam on the indoor hull doesn't make it indestructible.

rcpilot
Chased the cat

Post by rcpilot » 30 Nov 2010, 02:51

I agree I have really enjoyed flying the drone.

Yes it is not the most easiest thing to fly but I enjoy the challenge.

after flying planes and helis for many years it is refreshing to try something new. I see that some have got it working with an rc transmitter.
Might give that a go too.

I also called Fone Zone and the Telstra Shop this morning. Fone Zone has the drones for sale $399. Hmm seems a bit much when I was told they would be $299 also no spares at this stage. The Telstra shop is only getting them in on a prepaid basis. They are are calling me back once they call the supplier to see if spares are available.

geoffp
Battery Charged

Post by geoffp » 15 Dec 2010, 02:55

Hi all,

Already posted in a couple of threads, but this being the aussie site I should say hi here as well.

I'm in Narre Warren South, Melbourne.

Anyone in the area is most welcome - we can bash heads/drones together :mrgreen:

looard
Newcomer

Post by looard » 17 Dec 2010, 21:25

hey all,

Another Sydney-sider here. I have one and one of my friends has one. He was partially the reason I got it. But mostly I brought so I can experiment with computer control. We are part of robotics club, http://astromech.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We have a workshop in Silverwater. We hoping to organize a fly day sometime in the not too distant future if people are interested.

My friend is very keen on the dogfighting. But I dont have an Iphone, (I'm running this thing off a PC and Android) so don't have the necessary apps to fly with him. ;)

-alex

joshyboy
Newcomer

Post by joshyboy » 29 Dec 2010, 11:20

another Perthian here, awesome chrissy gift.

Keen to beef my skill set up as ive already attached 2x gopro HD's to mine to use for filming at events (what i do for a crust... sorta lol)

rcpilot
Chased the cat

Post by rcpilot » 29 Dec 2010, 17:36

Look forward to seeing how you fitted the 2 gopro HD's and how the drone flew and of course the footage too :D

joshyboy
Newcomer

Post by joshyboy » 30 Dec 2010, 03:26

same as most have mounted central top and bottom.

Using the sticky pads underneith forward of the camera so it doesnt block the view, but twisting the mount backwards to keep the COG of the camera itself in the right position.

rogueqd
Up and hovering

Post by rogueqd » 30 Dec 2010, 04:22

Can you post a pic of your drone with the two gopros attached? And some camera footage too of course. :)

joshyboy
Newcomer

Post by joshyboy » 30 Dec 2010, 15:58

ill take a pic with my iphone 4 whilst flying the drone with my iphone 4 lol....

ill get some up soon when i get some time to fly it and i keep forgetting to charge up the gopro (i have 9 and all are dead lol)

jaffadave
Newcomer

Post by jaffadave » 05 Jan 2011, 02:40

G'day all,

I'm yet to find any Telstra stores that stock them. The 3 I went to looked at me as if i had 2 heads when i asked about the AR Drone. I live in Narre Warren South, Melbourne. Where are these available?????????????????????????