Downgrading from firmware 1.11.5...?

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
flyer42
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Downgrading from firmware 1.11.5...?

Post by flyer42 » 06 Jul 2015, 13:52

Hi,

Newbie here on the forum, hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I need to downgrade the firmware of my AR Drone 1.0 from the factory latest (1.11.5) version to an older one, and I already tried everything I could think of but I can't make it work...

- I can seemingly connect to the drone via FTP following Parrot's instructions (tried both Mac and Win, with different FTP software) but the connection is either not established at all, or if it SEEMS to be established, however, the file transfer fails every time (times out)

- Tried the Firmware Manager for AR.Drone iPhone app, it starts the file transfer, then the indication of progress disappears (the confirmation popup to restart the AR Drone never shows up) and restarting the AR Drone results in no firmware change (tried several times, resetting it after unsuccessful attempts, to no avail). The drone just starts up normally in the usual time, with green lights and ready to fly - the firmware remains the same.

It seems like the drone doesn't accept the file transfer, no matter how I try to transfer the firmware file.

Any suggestions?

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Downgrading from firmware 1.11.5...?

Post by AR.Tommy » 06 Jul 2015, 14:56

Hello,

it is very important that you connect to port 5551. Did you do that?

If it still refuses the file - chances are, that the flash memory is full (for whatever reasons) or it's corrupt. You can telnet to the AR.Drone and check with the command "df" if there is enough space.

But even if you could upload the file the AR.Drone would not install it, without manipulating files on the AR.Drone. The AR.Drone installs only versions higher than the current firmware.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

flyer42
Ready for take off

Post by flyer42 » 06 Jul 2015, 15:34

Thanks a lot for the pointers. Yes, I got the port set to 5551 in every attempt, but still no cigar. I've never used telnet before - is there some resource that describes how to do what you say taking into consideration that that would be the user's first ever telnet session? :-)

I wasn't aware that the AR Drone won't install older firmware, so thank you for pointing that out. I actually just looked at your app (Drone Control) in the iTunes store and it looks great. Although I don't use my iPhone/iPad to fly the drone, if I can't figure out how to fix this problem I may go ahead and buy it just to downgrade the firmware (if it can solve my problem).

flyer42
Ready for take off

Post by flyer42 » 06 Jul 2015, 23:14

Post by AR.Tommy » 06 Jul 2015, 14:56

If it still refuses the file - chances are, that the flash memory is full (for whatever reasons) or it's corrupt. You can telnet to the AR.Drone and check with the command "df" if there is enough space.
OK, I managed to do that by reading up on telnet... here's what I got:

Code: Select all

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi1:system              12156      7124      4376  62% /
tmp                      63032        36     62996   0% /tmp
dev                      63032         0     63032   0% /dev
ubi0:factory              4928        40      4600   1% /factory
ubi2:update              13532       152     12656   1% /update
ubi2:data                69040      2548     62932   4% /data
If the update is supposed to go to the /update folder, it has more than 12MB space, while the firmware I'm trying to upload is less than 7MB. But when I log in via FTP, I don't see any folders.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 07 Jul 2015, 06:56

Hello,

in iOS 8 the firmware manager of Drone Control is somewhat broken, if you are considering getting it only to downgrade/upgrade firmware make sure you can use it with below iOS 8.

The space is not full, that is great. Instead of a ftp client try it with command line ftp:

ftp 192.168.2.1 5551
put update.plf
exit

(When connecting with FTP the update folder is your root folder. You can not see other folders) If this did work, connect with telnet again. Type:

echo 2.1.1 > /firmware/version.txt
echo 2.2.2 > /update/version.txt

The numbers doesn't matter as long as the first version.txt is lower than second version.txt. Reboot the AR.Drone, make sure the battery is full.

flyer42
Ready for take off

Post by flyer42 » 07 Jul 2015, 16:36

Success! Thank you for the instructions - I successfully downgraded the firmware to 1.5.1 (which I needed for the version of the macgyver mod I have to work properly).

The AR Drone now works and flies well with the mod TX. (the reason I needed to downgrade was that the drone behaved erratically with the latest - 1.11.5 - firmware. With the old one, things are back to normal again.

Next project: figuring out how to re-upgrade the drone firmware and install the latest version of the mirumod or the macgyver mod on the Arduino...

flyer42
Ready for take off

Post by flyer42 » 07 Jul 2015, 20:00

... and a question: in my attempts trying to upload the downgraded firmware onto the drone, I ended up with TWO firmware files on the drone instead of one. I accidentally loaded one with the wrong name (and that didn't work of course) and after the upgrade, it's still in the /update folder. How can I get rid of it...?

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 08 Jul 2015, 09:22

Hello,

connect with telnet and switch to the folder:

cd update

Make sure the file is there by typing:

ls

Delete the file by typing:

rm filename.extension

Make sure it is gone by typing again:

ls

flyer42
Ready for take off

Post by flyer42 » 08 Jul 2015, 10:21

That was simple enough... thanks!